Question Which wifi router should i choose?

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
My current dlink router just stopped working after 5 years so im searching for new router. I have 20mbps fiber internet connection which i will upgrade to 50 mbps next year. I occasionally play games online, usually i ( Family member too ) watch movies or TV series online.4 to 5 smartphone & one laptop is going to connect to the router through wifi.House 900 Sqft Area ( 4 to 5 wall to the farthest point of house ).

1>Since bandwidth not exceeding 100mbps & many devices gonna connect to the router im inclined toward Low bandwidth MU-MIMO Router ( Correct me if im wrong ), im thinking about going for the budget router Like Archer C6 which is cheap, have Mu-Mimo is it a good choice & im also considering Asus RT-AC58U ( heard that asus router's are solid router for wifi speed, range & well developed firmware ) or is there any better router well suited for my situation from router List which is mentioned below ( suggest me router even if its not mentioned in list ).

List of some of the good router which are within my budget ( 10000 INR = ~143 USD ) & available in my country India
Asus RT-AC58U AC1300 ( MU-MIMO ) - 5,495

TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO - 2,699
Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 - 5,299
TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 - 7,499

Netgear Nighthawk R7000P AC2300 Smart MU-MIMO - 9,499
Netgear AC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router - 10,999
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) with Open Source Support - 8,999

D-Link EXO AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router - 8,099
D-Link Wi-Fi DIR-878 MU-MIMO Router - 5,899

2> is Custom Firmware (ie DDwrt, Advanced Tomato) necessary for stable & good performance from router.? if yes then is it worth going for costly routers like "NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) with Open Source Support" just for custom firmware?

3> Does installing custom firmware make warranty invalid or company honor warranty even after installing custom firmware?

thanks in advance

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
To answer 3 first, yes, installing 3rd-party firmware generally DOES INVALIDATE any mfg warranty. YMMV.

2) Custom firmware can be very useful, to gain features that aren't in the factory firmware (advanced QoS, multi-WAN, WDS, etc.). Also, to receive firmware updates, in cases in which the factory firmware is no longer updated. (DD-WRT for EOL routers, etc.)

1) Hard to say. I'm not particularly familiar with the Asus AC58U, although I own and use an AC68U-family router, running Shibby Tomato. It works for me, at least.

These days, I find it hard to be satisfied with just factory firmware, although, to Asus' credit, they have continued to update their main models for a long while, and continue to do so. I don't know, but I'm hopeful that some WPA3 firmware might make an appearance in some Asus router updates soon.

Another thing, you're force to replace your router, because it is failing, but it's quite possible that mfg's are going to announce new lines at CES in Jan. 2019, which will be 802.11ax, and/or WPA3-compliant/compatible.

If possible, you WANT WPA3 support, due to increased security, and also possibly 802.11ax, for some future-proofing.

But if buying now, Asus routers are generally a sure bet, although the TP-Link Archer series is also well-received. Maybe someone else will care to comment between the two.

Also, if buying a stop-gap interim router, for now, consider a factory refurbished router, from Newegg, or Newegg on ebay. They do a brisk trade in Factory Refurbished Asus routers (they sell out often), and those can be great values, especially since many of them also take 3rd-party / Open Source firmware upgrades as well.

But try to avoid the TM-1900 routers, the ones sold by T-Mobile. Recent updates will "Revert" them to T-Mobile firmware, and it's a hassle getting back to Asus firmware to update to 3rd-party firmware. Best to spend the extra $20 on a "genuine" Asus refurb router.

I'm reading up on AC58U now.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC58U/specifications/

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/reviewing-asus-rt-ac58u-ac1300-router

There are also a few downsides to consider:

• The firmware, in its initial version, has some bugs that negatively affect the stability of the wireless network. They should be fixed in future firmware versions
  • Applying changes to wireless settings can take a long time and require a restart of your router
  • The signal strength is not that great, making it unsuitable for large apartments or houses
  • This router cannot be mounted on walls

Hmm. Sounds fairly decent, but early teething bugs in firmware, affecting performance at times, and signal strength.

I would just as much go for a refurb AC68U/AC68R/AC68P/AC1900 Asus router (same hardware in all of those units), and put Tomato on. (Which I did.)

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
For the Money IMHO this is the best Choice.

Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 - 5,299

If you are short on Funds this one will suffice.

TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO - 2,699

:cool:

Reactions: VirtualLarry

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
2> is Custom Firmware (ie DDwrt, Advanced Tomato) necessary for stable & good performance from router.? if yes then is it worth going for costly routers like "NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) with Open Source Support" just for custom firmware?

DD-WRT started when Linksys came out (long time ago) with the WRT-54.

As is, the WRT 54 is almost a "Piece of Junk".

Then few guys (in Sweden and Germany) discovered that One can program a new firmware and flash it into the WRT 54, DDWRT was born.

The next step was few more 3rd party firmware, most died during the later years, DD-WRT and Tomato survived.

Currently most of the Brand name provide stable functional firmware as is.

The need to flash with 3rd party firmware is still valid if One needs a specific function that exists in the 3rd party firmware and Not in the original. Otherwise flashing is a waste of time, and at times might be even a risk (Bricking the Router and, or reducing the Wireless capacity).

As for the above.

The OP is in India (prices are in Rupee)

The Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 - 5,299 I.e, $ 75

The refurb in NewEgg USA is $53, shipping to India will add to the price and make it close to the price of the Archer.

If I have to choose between the two, I would not go for a similar (or close) price with a refurb).

Reactions: Bardock

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
many devices gonna connect to the router im inclined toward Low bandwidth MU-MIMO Router ( Correct me if im wrong )
The client devices (AFAIK, all of them) have to support MU-MIMO for it to have any sort of effect, I think. For most people, it's not much of a consideration, I think.

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
Thanks guys for reply. If warranty is gonna suffer due to custom Firmware then i'll stick with company firmware.
1>Does refurb product have full warranty of new product? maybe i'll go for new one
2>802.11ax routers are way to costly is it worth waiting until CES 2019 for cheaper one will they sell around 6000 INR or 70 to 80 USD?
3>It looks like Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 is better choice among them, how is Tp-Link Archer C7 compare to Asus RT-AC58U AC1300 ( MU-MIMO ) Function & range stability wise?

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
But WPA3 router need wpa3 devices to connect or any current device can use wpa3 Encryption?
how is Tp-Link Archer C7 compare to Asus RT-AC58U AC1300 ( MU-MIMO ) Function & range stability wise?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But WPA3 router need wpa3 devices to connect or any current device can use wpa3 Encryption?
how is Tp-Link Archer C7 compare to Asus RT-AC58U AC1300 ( MU-MIMO ) Function & range stability wise?
You need a WPA3 client to take advantage of the new features. That support is coming in Windows 10 19H1 version, supposedly. Whether that will require new WPA3-compatible Wifi drivers from your Wifi NIC mfg, I don't know. Maybe Windows 10 can manage to upgrade you to WPA3 just by adding support at a software level, not sure if it requires new hardware for the wifi NICs.

The WPA3 routers, should have an option, to remain backwards-compatible with WPA and / or WPA2 clients.

I would probably go with the Archer C7 over the AC58U, only because they are better-reviewed right now. That might change, if they can update the AC58U's firmware to increase the range, and remove some of the issues that it currently has.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

Current Home Routers a good AC1750 are significant better than AC1300, and as I mentioned before the current TP-Links are just as good as the Asus.

I have numerous amounts of Wireless Routers in the few locations that I manage. Most of them are Asus from few years ago. In the last year I switched to TP-Link because it is Just as Good but less expensive than the other Brand names.

WPA3
It is very said that instead of real knowledge of Technology Enthusiasts these days are more and more taken into the "Ignorant Crowd” and its Tech understanding that is based on Verbal Hyperbole.

It is nice to have New things (WPA3) and save money on Refurbish. But just to do it when it is Not a real answer to specific Tech needs is not smart.

While the move from WPA to WPA2 was a must to every one since WPA was unsafe privately and publicly, the story is different with WPA3.

WPA3 main advantage is to take care of the security weakness that plagues the use of Shared WIFI password.

Shared WIFI passwords are a Security problem in logging to into public and specific private WIFI networks where everyone uses and stores on his/her device the same password and it is shared by many Strangers (like WIFI at Work, Universities, etc.).

Such places would need to change the Wireless Routers/APs to be WPA3 capable, and users would need to start using WPA3 capable Clients.

At smalls place that share WIFI between few known trusted people switching to WPA3 is not really essential.

So... changing the Wireless Router at home can wait. Save your money to change the WIFI Clients (like iPhones, Laptops, Tablets, etc.) to WPA3 when it comes out. It will make them much more secure when One uses his personal WIFI outside of home.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
WPA3 main advantage is to take care of the security weakness that plagues the use of Shared WIFI password.
I belive that WPA3-PSK implements PFS (perfect forward secrecy), too, which is an advantage for ANYONE that might be "monitored". With current WPA2-PSK, "they" can sniff your traffic, wirelessly, passively, without you ever knowing, and then if they ever crack your WPA2 password, or steal it somehow, they can decrypt ALL of your previously-captured traffic, which isn't very secure at all.

Supposedly, WPA3 fixes this flaw.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I belive that WPA3-PSK implements PFS (perfect forward secrecy), too, which is an advantage for ANYONE that might be "monitored". With current WPA2-PSK, "they" can sniff your traffic, wirelessly, passively, without you ever knowing, and then if they ever crack your WPA2 password, or steal it somehow, they can decrypt ALL of your previously-captured traffic, which isn't very secure at all.

Supposedly, WPA3 fixes this flaw.

ok cool for someone rich and not in india! i think the budget pretty much ensures he should buy a new tp-link, i too have been asus router person for long while but i have had to reboot the refurb asus router now and then 86u forget the price maybe 100?(maybe i should setup some kinda reboot once a month havnt looked for this setting) So which router will have wpa3? the new routers with 8 lan ports are more interesting to me than the wpa3 just because i hate having switches sometimes just for one more port.

Reactions: coldhart

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
netgear x10 r9000
looks like nice router i wouldnt mind buying one but its 350 and i think the budget was 142$ right?
i dont like their website for firmware as much as teh asus layout heh. says the last fw was from September.. asus has one from 12/5 (easier to see release dates on asus site) not saying the router needs a update even or anything but i do enjoy asus updating alot. (one of the reasons i went with asus was timely firmware updates )

Reactions: VirtualLarry

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
A single Wireless Router cost much more money than a 4 Ports Router + 5 Ports switch.

A Wireless Router has to be put exposed so that the Wireless Signal would be unobstrucet and strong.

A Wireless Router with 8 Ports look really like a messy ugly Eye Sour with all the cables going in and out.

A switch can be put in a closet, or any other arrangement that take care of the Wires.

I actually have an 8-ports Giga Swich that is out of the way, one wire from goes to the Wireless Router and the other 7 ports are used for other wired instrument. By doing so only two wires comes to the Router (One wire from the Modem, one form the switch, and evrything looks nice a dandy.

As for the netgear x10 r9000

That is what c.net sais about it. "This router is powerful, expensive and cutting-edge -- and you probably don't need it"

https://www.cnet.com/au/reviews/netgear-nighthawk-x10-ad7200-smart-wifi-router-review/2/

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
100% not recommending the 350$ router..

yea its true would be so nice to have everyone's wires all tucked away nice and neat with 7 plugs coming out of the wall. Sometimes its just not practical or possible with brick walls. My marvel at the 7 ports is just that.. 7 ports i wouldnt buy the router for that reason alone but its nice that a expensive router comes with extra ports to use along with a quad core cpu / more ram bla bla.. sure not useful if you have your powerful server along side but if you dont or cant or its not for yourself? 175 would be what id pay prob.

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 AD7200 802.11ac ad is available for 49999 INR ( 718.58 USD ) which is way above my budget so not possible. may be i go with Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 - 5,299 Rs or TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 - 7,499 Rs since TP Link is as good as asus ( Correct me if im wrong ).