• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Which VPN do you guys use, and how well do you like it?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
So, I'd like to start using a VPN, but have no idea which one of the seemingly hundreds available I should use. I'm not that worried about cost, within reason, of course. I will need to be able to use more than one device at a time, though. A minimum of three, if including my phone, and preferably four. Which one(s) do you guys and/or girls recommend? Any I should just flat-out avoid?

edit: It seems I made a big mistake by not reading all of NordVPNs terms of service, specifically that they sell 107 different companies any and all data that they have about either you or your use of their services, i.e. which websites you visit, for how long, etc. Oh, and they hold themselves 100% not responsible for what these companies do with the data, which is 100% not okay with me. Link here: https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/terms-of-service/?utm_source=Campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ToS-Update_N

Does Private Internet Access do something similar? I'm still well within the period in which I can get a refund from Nord. I have no qualms paying more to a company who isn't selling data pertaining to me to anyone with a checkbook.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I used to have Private Internet Access, which was great. They got bought last year though, by Kape Technologies. Kape had done some fishy things with their own VPNs companies, so I quit PIA, and went to NordVPN. Nord was hacked just before I joined, but they have been good since I've used them. Here is a comparison of the two:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I considered Nord but the differences between them and PIA didn't justify the higher price. Right now PIA has a year (+2 free months) for $2.85/mo.... lower price, but also with a shorter commitment than the 2-3 year Nord bundles. If you get into a chat with one of PIA's reps, you might be able to get a 1 week trial to see if it suits your needs, though Nord does offer 30 days money back so effectively a 30 day trial for paying up front which PIA doesn't require for the week trial.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Thanks for the answers so far, guys. Will all of these let me use them on multiple devices, or will I have to buy them for each individual computer? The reason I ask is because I get the feeling that I won't find out that type of thing, until after I have already paid for a full year, at which point it would be way too late to pick another company.

edit:
Mullvad FAQ
When a customer connects to a VPN server, the server asks the central service to validate the account number, whether or not the account has any remaining time, if the account has reached its allowed number of connections, and so on. Everything is performed in temporary memory only; none of this information is permanently stored to disk.
I find nowhere in their FAQ what their maximum number of connections happens to be.
edit #2: I have sent Mullvad an email asking about their maximum number of connections, so will know by Monday, I'm sure.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
If you scroll down to getting started , under #3 downloading it states up to 5 devices per account

3. Download Mullvad and you're set
Download the Mullvad VPN app, enter your account number, and you're ready to roll. Use your account on up to 5 devices.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thanks for the answers so far, guys. Will all of these let me use them on multiple devices, or will I have to buy them for each individual computer? The reason I ask is because I get the feeling that I won't find out that type of thing, until after I have already paid for a full year, at which point it would be way too late to pick another company.
Nord gives you 6 devices, PIA gives you 10.

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How does the device limit work, if you put your VPN info into a router, specifically for VPN usage, preferably running 3rd-party (VPN-enabled) firmware? Since you can then connect any PC (or any number of PCs, really, more-or-less) to that router, and it will route / NAT over that VPN connection?

I actually recommend doing that, though I have no personal experienced doing so. That way, if you want to use a VPN, just plug your PC in, or switch Wifi SSIDs to the VPN router, and otherwise, connect to your "normal" router.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
How does the device limit work, if you put your VPN info into a router, specifically for VPN usage, preferably running 3rd-party (VPN-enabled) firmware? Since you can then connect any PC (or any number of PCs, really, more-or-less) to that router, and it will route / NAT over that VPN connection?

I actually recommend doing that, though I have no personal experienced doing so. That way, if you want to use a VPN, just plug your PC in, or switch Wifi SSIDs to the VPN router, and otherwise, connect to your "normal" router.
That sounds absolutely brilliant, although it sounds fairly complicated. I have decades of experience working with and configuring hardware, but none when it comes to networking. I have to use the router provided by my DSL provider, although I have bought two gigabit switches to use with it. The provided router is gigabit or better wired, and is 802.11 AC or AX.

I ended up choosing NordVPN, since it had up to 6 concurrent devices, and had the lowest price as well. It was only slightly over $83 for 2 years. If I end up not being happy with it, I will try out PIA. For anyone wondering, it has to be shutdown before being able to use Steam for gaming. I'm okay with that, since I play exactly zero multiplayer games, and have no intentions to start playing any.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
It seems I made a big mistake by not reading all of NordVPNs terms of service, specifically that they sell 107 different companies any and all data that they have about either you or your use of their services, i.e. which websites you visit, for how long, etc. Oh, and they hold themselves 100% not responsible for what these companies do with the data, which is 100% not okay with me. Link here: https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/terms-of-service/?utm_source=Campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ToS-Update_N

Does Private Internet Access do something similar? I'm still well within the period in which I can get a refund from Nord. I have no qualms paying more to a company who isn't selling data pertaining to me to anyone with a checkbook.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I looked through their terms but so far I didn't see where they said they sell 107 companies user data. Where exactly is that?

It seems I made a big mistake by not reading all of NordVPNs terms of service, specifically that they sell 107 different companies any and all data that they have about either you or your use of their services, i.e. which websites you visit, for how long, etc. Oh, and they hold themselves 100% not responsible for what these companies do with the data, which is 100% not okay with me. Link here: https://my.nordaccount.com/legal/terms-of-service/?utm_source=Campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ToS-Update_N

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Once my current subscription runs out i will be switching to

I just found out about these guys myself. They accept cash payments and don't require any identifiable information, i.e. email address, phone number, name, etc.

-KeithP

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Just saw this thread. I use NordVPN for the past few years with no issues. Where exactly do you see this in their TOS?

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
I finally got around to trying the Norton VPN (included in their 360 security suite), and it's pretty slow.

I have a 1 gigabyte service with AT&T, and my download speeds are around 240 Mbps, and upload speeds are only 72 Mbps.

They apparently don't have any servers in the southeast, so they connect me to their servers in New Jersey or Los Angeles. So naturally that increases my ping times quite a bit, and browsing various sights I notice a delay.

Sometime this month, I will likely test out one of the companies with closer servers that seem to be rated highly in most reviews (ExpressVPN or Surfshark) and see how their service is. Surfshark seems to offer 2 years for $48, so I'll likely start with that one since it is much less expensive.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY