Which video card do i want?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Right now, i have a hollywood plus and a voodoo 3 3000AGP card in my current rig. I'm in the process of building an Intel p4 1.7ghz box. All i need now is a case and a video card. what i want:

dual monitor displays
video in/video out
tv tuner (add-on card?)

Hmm...the list is much shorter than i thought...regardless, i don't play games...mostly surf the net, but this box will be for video editing and a home theater system.

-=bmacd=-

Beater

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2001
Yup, definately an AIW by ATI, just a question as ta 7500, 8500, or 9700, course unless ya got money ta burn ya might wanna pass on the 9700, especially since ya ain't into gaming:)!

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
AIWs are not dual-display unless you count the TV out as one display.

stebesplace

Nov 18, 2002
Get a Quadro 4 550 or 700 xgl, and then an external tv. The quadro 700 or 750 has all you need minus the tuner capabilities. Plus more and the stability you need for doing line video editing.

My current setup is a quadro 550, p4 1.5 GHz, 768 pc800, and some other junk. For editing video and 3d animation etc, it works like a champ. . .

go with stability, you can't go wrong.

-Steve

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
A vioable possibility is the Matrox G450 e-TV, but only if you don't need much more then basic 3D rendering capabilities.
It'll provide you with Matrox's Multi-Monitor capabilities which at the moment still retains it's crown as the most flexible and feature-filled Multi-Monitor implementation available.
You've got Video-In and Video-Out provided on the board as well.

Matrox has always had a heavy foothold in the Video Editing market, and naturally their graphics cards are very well suited to such tasks and handle themselves well.
You'll get Matrox's typically stellar 2D visual quality along with it.

A little more pricey then I might like but it seems near ideal for your uses.
Runs about $190 US.

Another decent selection may be ATi's older Radeon 64MB VIVO, it lacks the integrated TV-Tuner... and the Multi-Monitor implementation while pretty good doesnt really stand out from the crowd.
2D visual quality is reasonably nice though, and they have fantastic multimedia capabilities that may bode well for Video Editing usage. The VIVO implementation is unparalleled.
If your interested in DVD's they've definitely got the most impressive DVD playback capabilities.

Can be a bit hard to find nowadays though.