Which travel rewards Credit Card should I get??? HELP

enyce2k9

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hello everyone.

So I travel around 3,000 Miles a month, and yet have no travel rewards credit card.

I've seen some commercials on rewarding cards, but confused on which to go with...

Also In monthy expenses I spend around $3,000-$5,000.

The only reason I haven't looked into this before is because I got rewarding cards,
but not Travel ones.

So please someone help, ( I guess someone who travels alot as well )

Thanks!

( By the way I have average credit, due to some bill I forgot to pay once :D ,
therefore please recommend a card that does not require excellent credit. )

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
My top 3 would be:

1) Amex Blue Cash offers nice rebate $ after you charge $6,500. No annual fee.

2) Airline credit card, which airline do you normally fly? Unfortunately these carry an annual fee.

3) If you're a CostCo member or are considering joining, definitely sign up for this cc:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/P...av=&browse=&lang=en-US

3% at restaurants
2% for travel
1% for everything else

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was hoping Rossman would answer because I too have a CC question. My current Chase card doesn't have any type of reward. I want to keep it since I use the card shopping online.

What's a good card to get for rewards. Amazon has one that give $25 GC's, I wish NewEgg had that. Any other good ones for cashback or GC rewards?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
enyce2k9 - What's your biggest monthly expense when you travel?

Gas?
Airplane tickets?
Hotels?
Car rentals?

MustISO - Which online stores do you usually buy from? Do you buy a lot of gas? Do you shop at Home Depot?

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
i'm looking for an intro no APR card for 12 months with high credit limit (10k)...

enyce2k9

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2005
My biggest expense in regards to travel, is the trip fare.
I fly with whichever is cheaper, be it Delta or AA

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest card. You earn 1 point for each dollar spent, and you can transfer them to any major airline partner, usually at 1:1 ratio.

First year fee is waived, $35 a year thereafter

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I wonder if AMEX would get mad if I applied for a business class card and did not have a business... :p

daggerr

Jun 4, 2007
The Capital One No Hassle Miles Ultra--for Professionals card pays 2 miles for every dollar spent. The Citi PremierPass Elite card will pay you 1 point for most spending, but also gives a bonus point for every mile flown on tickets purchased with the card.

However, since you've got so much monthly spending, you might also do well with cash back cards like the AmEx Blue Cash card (up to 5% cash back in some categories, but tiered). The Fidelity Signature Rewards Visa can net you 1.5% cash back on all spending (no tiers).

You might want to plug your spending profile into the rewards calculator mentioned in my signature and see which cards come out on top. Note that the calculator converts all reward currencies (frequent flier miles, points, cash back) into dollars for an apples-to-applies comparison.

L1FE

Dec 23, 2003
Well, think of what you want to get in terms of your travel rewards card. For instance, if you want to get elite status, the Delta Platinum Amex (yearly fee of $75) gives you: 5k MQM upon your first purchase, another 10k MQM at the $25k spending level, and a final 10k MQM when you hit the $50k spending level. That, in and of itself, is silver status. If you get an AA credit card (I'm not very familiar with their ff plan), I believe every mile you accrue with them counts towards your million miler status (going towards lifetime status).

That being said, mile cards are probably not worth it. There's been recent devaluations in most FF plans and if you don't have status (at least on Delta), you might find it difficult to get reasonable flight fares for your points. I used my Delta Plat to hit the MQM levels to help get me to platinum status faster this year, but once I hit that threshold, I started going to my Amex enrolled in Membership Rewards. Those points can be transferred to a lot of airlines. There are some Gold and Platinum Amex signup bonuses lately ranging from 15k to 50k MR points, but some of those are rather targeted and require RSVP codes.

The Starwood gives you some of the best point transfers available and is a favorite among a lot of frequent fliers. At the same time, I believe they've just started to charge a yearly fee. That being said, there are often specials where if you transfer say 20k hotel points to 20k Delta bonus miles, you get a certain percentage bonus added on. Oh, and it helps that they have some swank hotels there too...

If you stay at Hiltons, the Hilton Platinum Amex is free and offers up to 5 points per dollar spent. I charged a good amount on it last year and while the points aren't worth it in small quantities, they become worth it when you hit higher point thresholds. At 175k, you get 6 nights free at any category 6 (their highest, but doesn't include their Waldorf Astoria collection).

Anyway, it's really dependent on what airline you fly, what you're trying to get from your program, and where you want to stay. If none of those really matter to you, then you shouldn't try to lock yourself into any one program unless they offer very flexible transfers (such as Starwood or MR). For the average person, however, cash back would probably work better in terms of tangible results, especially since the nicer rewards for a lot of these cards aren't available until you reach a very very high spending threshold...

enyce2k9

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2005
the last two posts are excellent info, thanks all for the help, i will definitely go with a cash back card as its true that accumulating points in the end may be a very small reward in difference to receiving cashback.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Citi probably has some of the best retailers where you can redeem the points. That's worth mentioning, since a lot of companies tend to lock you into crappy places with their rewards.

TheNetAnalyst

Oct 22, 2007
I have actually written a article entitled "The Best Travel Sites for 2007" in addition to a "best credit card review." They are quick articles and I'm sure that both would serve you well. The AMEX card that is mentioned earlier would be good for you since it will pay you 1.5% interest with no cap and AMEX has some very useful travel services as well. I have researched the card and read all the fine print so check out The Net Analyst Credit Card Review for that one.

I have also found an additional way to accumulate travel rewards points that may interest you in The Net Analyst Travel Guide I'm sure that you will appreciate the info. Please leave some feedback for me in the comment section if you find the info useful (=