Which to get: 20gb Nomad Zen, 5gb Apple Ipod?

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Alright, it's tax return time, so it's also the season of buying myself a new toy. I'm a 19 year old college student, I spend a LOT of time at the gym, and a nice, large capacity seems to fit the bill of what I'm looking for.

So all matters aside, I can get either the usb 2.0 20gb nomad zen or the 5gb apple Ipod for about the same price ($275, give or take). Connection type is not an issue, as I have both firewire and usb2.0 ports available, so I'm looking just at features. Regretably, I live about 200 miles from anyplace that I can go and try out and look at these guys myself, so I don't think that will be possible.

Basically, the only real advantage the ipod seems to have is it's size, which in this case seems to be pretty substantial, since size is all the rage esspecially if I'm going to be jogging with something clipped to me. Well, it also LOOKS sexier, although if I'm getting hot and sweaty that probably isn't an issue:p

The Zen has 4 times the storage for the same price (I have well over 5gb of mp3, so the extra size would be appreciated), supposedly ha sbetter sound quality (can any end users let me know about this?), and has a better battery life. However, it is a larger unit, and atad heavier. The display is also smaller on the zen then on the ipod.

Basically, can anyone recommend one unit over another? I'm looking at ordering probably friday or next monday, so any help is greatly appreciated (or if you can point me towards a great deal, that works too). Someone wanna bring up more pros and cons then I've listed, or give me their own personal feedback?

OH! Another big point... I realize these things use buffers and all that so the drive isn't constantly in motion. One of my buddies HAD an Ipod, and he always went jogging with it and had no skipping issues, but this was with the older original 5gb Ipod, not one of the newer kinds. I'm assuming these are designed so that movement doesn't mess them up too bad?

Thanks in advance!

Pacinamac23

Feb 23, 2001
I havn't tried the Zen but the iPod is just fing awesome. It is so well layed out and easy to navagate. The screen is great and its very sturdy, not to mention absolutly tiny. I would go with an iPod any day of the week.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
They drives are digital, skipping was is a result of the laser coming off track on a cd....

I don't think there should be any problem with movement on any digital mp3 player, but I guess I could be wrong.

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Judgement
They drives are digital, skipping was is a result of the laser coming off track on a cd....

I don't think there should be any problem with movement on any digital mp3 player, but I guess I could be wrong.

The ipod and Zen aren't solid state devices, they run a hard drive inside of them, so there ARE moving parts

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
I owned both an 20GB iPod and 20GB Zen. I chose the Zen and I love it! The iPod is great, but it's not the best MP3 player ever, IMO. It's got many glaring weaknesses.

Check out this Hot Deal link, where i wrote a mini review on the iPod vs. Zen. LINK

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
i have a 10 GB ipod

it is still to big and i read that zen is even bigger

that is enough to make me pick the ipod over the zen

i would pay $500 if i could get a 5 GB ipod the size of a small cell phone but imo the 10 GB is barely acceptable to keep in your pocket and is still kinda annoying

if this doesnt matter to you than get the zen but thats why i picked the ipod

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: stonecold3169

The ipod and Zen aren't solid state devices, they run a hard drive inside of them, so there ARE moving parts

Shows how much I know

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

Shows how much I know

keep in mind that the buffers on the MP3 players only need to be big enough to store on song in it. Since 128kbs MP3 are only like 3-5MB, the buffer doesn't need to be that big. I think the iPod's buffer is 16MB (i could be wrong). You can shake the thing all you want while the song's playing, and it will just play from the buffer. So, skipping during jogging, shouldn't be nearly as much of problem as with CD players. However, since it is a HD based MP3 player, I'd assume that shaking wouldn't be good for the HD in the long run....although I haven't read any major problems thus far.

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Thanks everyone for the advice... I was almost 100% sure I wanted the zen, now I'm not so positive. I might wait to get one till over spring break where I'll be in New Orleans and can play with them all... Any other opinions?

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I think I'm going to buy the Zen now and get it and if I don't like it return it. I think that I'll definitely appreciate the added storage space (Like I said, I already have ~10-15gb of mp3s, the more the merrier), and from what I've heard the sound quality on mp3s encoded 256kbps or higher is incredibly noticably better on the Zen. Seeing as how thats 3/4 of my collection (when I rip my cds I'm VERY anal about quality, I just don't like beating up large amounts of expensive plastic :p), this is a welcome bit of info. I'll keep you updated on how it works out

psy44

Banned
May 20, 2002
Originally posted by: iamme

Shows how much I know

keep in mind that the buffers on the MP3 players only need to be big enough to store on song in it. Since 128kbs MP3 are only like 3-5MB, the buffer doesn't need to be that big. I think the iPod's buffer is 16MB (i could be wrong). You can shake the thing all you want while the song's playing, and it will just play from the buffer. So, skipping during jogging, shouldn't be nearly as much of problem as with CD players. However, since it is a HD based MP3 player, I'd assume that shaking wouldn't be good for the HD in the long run....although I haven't read any major problems thus far.

I have an archos jukebox, and I can jog with it but if I shake it quickly it will skip. I don't know if this is a problem with Ipod's or Zen's since they are more expensive and may have better protection. Also with my jukebox, I get OS problems every once and a while, it usually happens whenever it is really cold out, it will just freeze during a song and I have to reboot it. Does anyone with any hard drive based mp3 player get this problem?

PraetorianGuards

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
Stonecold, I have one of the original ipods and I must say I love it. Don't know too much about the Zen though. The iPod is great, good sound and good battery life. I use it at the gym nearly every day of the week and it runs like a champ. But get what you think is best for you!

Yomicron

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Mac OS Rumors is predicting an iPod update fairly soon. It might be worth it to wait a bit and see if Apple changes the price and/or features before you make your decision.