Which TMP files can I safely delete in 2k?

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999
I'm running 2k and want to keep the "trash" to a minimum to keep my system running quick. I regularly delete temp IE files from the Tools->Internet Options box, and delete my DrWtsn log file when it becomes large. All my user created files are stored in a separate partition. I use Regcleaner when needed, Startup Monitor all the time and degraf once per month. In addition I minimize all apps when not in use and keep my desktop clear of unnecessary clutter to free up memory. I think these steps have my system running fairly smoothly but I find a large "congregation" of temp files in my Documents and Settings\Mariner\Local Settings\Temp Interner Files & \Temp folders:( Most look like cookies but the largest files don't. Which can I safely squash?

And does anyone else have any other system optimization tips? I have surfed a lot of sites for tips and found many but maybe a thread with everyone tossing their favorite tip in would be helpful to some members....like me:)

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Ordinarily you can safely delete any temp (.tmp) file. Some .tmp files won't delete because they are in use, but don't worry about those: a temp file is just what it says, temporary. I had the same problem with temp files showing up in my My documents folder. For me they were backups for word documents that were not deleted because word closed incorrectly.

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
oops, break up the last long URL into two at the second "http". Sorry!

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999
Thx folks. I am still a little timid about deleting tmp files. Guess I'll just rename a few to start with then see what happens:) I sure would like to capture that ~100MB they occupy.

I'll check out the links today. I've been to 3dspotlight before but not the other two.

Chuck

Oct 9, 1999
basically the worst thing deleteing a .tmp file could do would be to crash the computer (and even then I don't think that could happen). It *should* just allow you to delete all the ones which arn't being used, and then tell you that you can't delete ones which are being used (access violation or something).

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999

<< basically the worst thing deleteing a .tmp file could do would be to crash the computer >>

Yikes!:Q

Recoverable I would hope:p

Do most tmp files get &quot;rebuilt&quot; at boot or app use if they &quot;disappear&quot;?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I delete my Temp files every 2 days in Win98,I`ve yet to have a crash or any problems,if the temp file cannot be deleted just leave it there.

:)

Chuck

Oct 9, 1999
Mem,

Exactly.. I was only trying to give a &quot;what if&quot; scenario. If some how you could delete a tmp file which was still in use, the program might crash (if it couldn't recover). But Like I said most (all?) programs keep their file locks on when they need them.

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999
mem, Chuck, let me see if I've got this straight. You 2 have deleted all TMP files that you could? In which folders: \Temp or \Temporary Internet Files, or both? Only the files with the TMP file type?

Sorry about being so picky but I'm sure there are others out there like me that wish to be clear on this.

Do y'all use a batch file for deleting these files?

Chuck

Oct 9, 1999
For the Temp directory:

1) Close all the apps you are running.
2) Give them a few seconds to shut down.
3) Then just go into the Temp directory and delete everything in it (.tmp, .exe, .dll, etc.. everything). If you are squrmish about this, then just move them to another folder.. then when you see that they arn't used by anything you'll feel safer about deleting them.

Basically the reson there are files in there other than the expected .tmp ones is that programs have to put other files somewhere which they can be assured that you will delete on a regular basis. For Instance, If you double-click on an setup.exe file in Winzip it unzips everything in the zip file to the temp directory so that it can install it properly... sometimes it doesn't clean it up properly because you close Winzip before the setup program has finished. Lots of little things like that happen, which is why there is a need for a centeralised 'temp' directory.. so the User knows where all the programs keep their junk.

For Tempory Internet Files, you should just delete via the IE Tools->Internet Options method you mentioned.

If your still squemish about doing this, i'm sure Win2k comes with a util to do all this for you! For me it's in Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Clean Up. (I think -- I can't actually get it running on my PC, but I think the same thing as I saw on my friends Win98 PC).

Happy Deleting :)

MissingLinc

Dec 30, 2000
You can safely delete ANY files or directories in your TEMP folder that are older than the last time you turned on your computer. Just click on the &quot;Modified&quot; header of your Explorer window (when viewing Details) and your files will be redisplayed in date/time order. I still pay attention to what it is I am deleting but you can send those old tmp files to electron oblivion.

Another place to find a lot of temp crap is the Temporary Internet Files. I go into the IE options and set the folder to a smaller limit, like between 50 to 100MB. You can also empty that and the history folder from there.

This all goes for Win9x, WinNT4, Win2K

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999
Well, that's fairly straight forward advice folks. I'll just move the files and see what happens. I am using win2kPro, by the way.

FYI, here are the specifics of my Temp directory:
In the Temp folder are 166 files (one 3.7MB zipped file named 'Data' and one 2.3MB file named 3dfx tools) and 5 other folders. The folders are named _wasktmp, driver2k\Help, install and VBE. In _wasktmp there is nothing; in driver2k are video drivers; in the install folder are setup files; and in VBE is an EXD file. Altogether the Temp directory is 24.8MB and takes up 26.1MB of disk space. Nothing in the Temp directory was created or modified in the last week.

Any ideas what created those folders?

Anyway, wish me luck:)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You get loads of junk that goes into Temp directory when you install software from the web etc it uses the Temp Directory as a tempory place for use while installing,it`s also best to keep it empty as possible,I`ve been keeping mine empty now for 2 years or more infact I only have one file in there which I cannot delete.

:)