Which TIM to use and questions about coolers

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I just got my Phenom II X4 920 today and I'm trying to make a few decisions concerning the thermal compound to use. I have Arctic Silver 5, Alumina and Ceramique already, but I've only ever used AS5. Are the other two any better? Is there one that's preferred for CPU cooling?

The other question I have is in regards to the cooler I'm planning on using for the X4. I have a Coolermaster Hyper TX2 that I can use, or I can just stick with the stock HSF that came with the processor if need be for now. My question is which one of these will be better in terms of overall cooling performance. The stock unit has 4 heatpipes and what looks to be an 80mm fan. The Coolermaster unit has 6 heatpipes and a 92mm fan.

I have used the Coolermaster unit in a previous build and wasn't all that happy with it's performance (BE-2400 processor at 3.1GHZ and 1.4volts was really toasty).

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I have a tx2 on my Q6600. They are just OK on quads. I also have that same AMD unit on my x3 710. I bought it because the stock 710 cooler is just an alum unit. The AMD OEM copper unit is very nice. I think I'd run that unless you move to a bit better aftermarket unit.

EDIT: AS5

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
Hey PClark,

great article you found. Odd, I Googled "Thermal paste review 2009", and that article does not show up, at least in the first 10 pages of search results. First time Google has not come through with a great link on the first page.

And, the info they added about applying the paste, i.e. drop versus thin layer is good to know.

Thanks,

NX

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Stick with the AS5

Alumina and Ceramique are best for the timid as they are electrical insulators whereas AS5 can be electrically capacitive and can cause problems if you make a mistake

Ceramique also has the best operation temperature ranges (ie can be used for supercooling)

UpThyWazzoo

Apr 19, 2009
I use Tuniq TX-2 with a Core Contact Freezer+Scythe S-Flex. At idle, the fan spins at about 470 rpm, is completely silent, and the temps hover around 29-32 in a 21C environment.