which temp to trust?!?

twist

Sep 4, 2001
I've been using MBM for a bit of time now, and at the moment, it is reading 40c....where as I just downloaded SiSoft Sandra to test the stability of my machine and I noticed that it also tells you the temp of your computer, which it reports as 10 degrees lower than MBM. Which do I trust?

Twist

1.4 AMD Athlon w/ FOP38 Delta Black Label

Jyeasy

Jul 18, 2001
Trust nothing, the sensor or the thermeter is not attached on the CPU, but with a slight "gap", either BIOS or S/W has to compensate the number by the programmer, and it's all experience accumulated, yes normally BIOS's number should be closer to real one, as they should work with the H/W engineers to make sure it's not too far away, others may vary from board to board.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
The Bios is most "real" reading as in it will accurately reflect the location of temp measurement, in this case being a highly inaccurate location even if it is touching the CPU ceramic.

However, the Bios temps are neither idle nor full load. Sandra is not typically a good temperature reader. MBM will not compensate readings unless you enter them. What MBM does is read off either the Via 686B or other mb sensor chips and gives the raw temp data.

so, between MBM and Sisoft, I'd trust MBM. Between Bios and MBM, I'd trust full loaded windows MBM over bios since bios "loads" vary from board to board.

Mike