Which SSD optimization should I do on a 128GB MLC?

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
Just put in a new Adata SP920 128GB MLC drive. Currently with programs, and around a 2GB swap file (Windows) and a 3.2GB hibernate file I am using 25GB. Which optimizations should I do? System Restore is off.

Should I select one of the plans in the Adata software, Basic shuts off Superfetch/Prefetch/Auto Defrag (don't know why Windows has this on, I checked), or the Advanced shuts the above off and Hibernation/NTFS Memory Usage/Large System Cache/ System Files in Memory?

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
Decided to disable hibernation. With Fast Startup, I was getting boot time to login at 9s, without it, 17s. Similar to what I had on the hard drive with Fast Startup, now I can save some writes to the SSD.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
That is a pretty small SSD.
I wouldn't disable system restore either.

You really don't have to worry about writes that much (you aren't writing 20+GB/day), but, you do have to worry about that SSD filling up, since once it reaches a certain percentage, things will start to chug along, and in the worst cases, actually be slower than a HD.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Just put in a new Adata SP920 128GB MLC drive. Currently with programs, and around a 2GB swap file (Windows) and a 3.2GB hibernate file I am using 25GB. Which optimizations should I do? System Restore is off.

Should I select one of the plans in the Adata software, Basic shuts off Superfetch/Prefetch/Auto Defrag (don't know why Windows has this on, I checked), or the Advanced shuts the above off and Hibernation/NTFS Memory Usage/Large System Cache/ System Files in Memory?
With whatever ADATA SSD Toolbox version I had, I thought that it screwed things up. I choose to manually set some of those features: Swapfile/Pagefile -- 2GB to assure flawless VSS service operation and automatic backups, SuperFetch and Prefetch turned off using Regedit, Indexing turned off in Windows HDD : properties. Hibernation set to 50% of RAM. What else? Did I miss something?

Between Magician, Crucial Executive, ADATA Toolbox or Intel Toolbox, I avoid using them anymore for "optimization." I use them for Secure Erase, TRIM and monitoring TBW and life-expectancy. If I had a Sammy, an MX200, an SP550 and an old Elm Crest on the same system, I'd install as many of the proprietary utilities as needed, configured not to run at boot-time. I'd keep them out of your system-tray clutter, but some desktop shortcuts -- maybe in a single folder -- are very handy.

ASK THE COMMUNITY