Which should I go for?

djdelarosa25

Feb 25, 2016
I'm a high school student and I'm looking for a gaming laptop that will last me for a long time. My parents set the budget at a max of 40K PHP so thats' about 860 USD. Since electronics here in the Philippines are overpriced, these two were the best specced in their price point, maxing out my budget. Which of the two should I go for? I play CS:GO, CoD : BO (the first one), GTA IV and it's expansion packs, and maybe GTA V. Assassin's Creed III doesn't hurt also. I also do the common tasks on a laptop like browsing the web, watching videos etc. P.S. I can't upgrade anything in the future, and also if you're wondering, the base configed Inspiron 7559 here is over a thousand US dollars.

Lenovo Y40-70

- 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U Processor (2.00GHz 1600 MHz 4MB)
- Windows 8.1 64
- 14.0 FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
- AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB DDR3
- 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
- Hybrid 500GB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
- Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
- Hard Drive 500 GB

Dell Inspiron 14 7447

Processor : Intel Core i5-4200H Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
HDD : 500GB HDD
RAM : 4GB DDR3L
Graphics : 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M DDR3
Display : 14.0 inch LED Backlit Display with Anti Glare and HD resolution (1366 x 768)
Optical Drive : Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Battery : 6-cell battery
Operating System : Windows 8.1

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Of the two, the Lenovo. You're going to need that extra RAM, the faster processor will help, and you'll hopefully appreciate both the sharper screen and hybrid hard drive.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Do not plan on things that will 'last for a long time'. The technology is changing too fast. The CPU itself is probably fine with regards to longevity; it is the graphics and battery technology that are improving at a rapid rate both regards to rendering power and power consumption.
-
If at all possible you will want an SSD and 8 or 16GB of ram. Do not consider a machine with 4GB of ram; however an i5 is probably adequate. The problem with your choices is that neither seem optimized around what you actually need. the dell has too little memory and the screen is actually rather low resolution; while the lenvo is better spec but i would replace that i7 with an i5 and ssd.
-
In the end I think you wuold be better off getting a cheap desk top at $500 for games rather than the laptop; but that is just myself.

djdelarosa25

Feb 25, 2016
Do not plan on things that will 'last for a long time'. The technology is changing too fast. The CPU itself is probably fine with regards to longevity; it is the graphics and battery technology that are improving at a rapid rate both regards to rendering power and power consumption.
-
If at all possible you will want an SSD and 8 or 16GB of ram. Do not consider a machine with 4GB of ram; however an i5 is probably adequate. The problem with your choices is that neither seem optimized around what you actually need. the dell has too little memory and the screen is actually rather low resolution; while the lenvo is better spec but i would replace that i7 with an i5 and ssd.
-
In the end I think you wuold be better off getting a cheap desk top at $500 for games rather than the laptop; but that is just myself.

Thanks but I as I said, I'm a high school student and I don't have money for building myself a desktop. This is just my parents' gift to me. So which of the two would you choose?

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Neither. Would recommend something with thunderbolt or graphics amplifier so you can add your own video card when you can afford it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Neither. Would recommend something with thunderbolt or graphics amplifier so you can add your own video card when you can afford it.

A system with either of those isn't likely to be affordable, if it's available at all, and I doubt that spending several hundred dollars on an external graphics adapter/card combo is the wisest idea for a high school student. I understand what you're trying to do, but it'd be better to have decent built-in graphics than hope that the stars align for an external option.