Which should be my first boot device?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by Lioness, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Lioness

Lioness Member

What should I set as my first boot device in the BIOS? Or doesn't it matter? I have the FDD set as first boot.

My choices are CD-RW, DVD-ROM and HDD.

thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - boot device Forum Date
    Windows 10 inaccessible boot device Computer Help Apr 29, 2016
    No boot device found Computer Help Mar 24, 2016
    Computer turns on but no video, no power to USB devices and no boot Computer Help May 1, 2015
    Consistent USB device boots Computer Help Nov 16, 2014
    'The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible' Computer Help Apr 8, 2014

3. minendo

minendo Elite Member

I always leave mine set to FDD in case I need to reformat or boot from floppy. However, by setting it to HDD you increase your boot time a little.

4. indianduddawg47

indianduddawg47 Senior member

hdd - it will quicken your boot time

some motherboards allow you to pick by hitting a hotkey - for example i can hit F8 and i will be prompted for which device i want to boot from (i have an ecs k7s5a)

5. MacaroneePenguin

MacaroneePenguin Senior member

I would recommend anything BUT FDD. If you accidentally leave a bad/corrupt bootup disk in your FDD the computer will try to load with that corrupt boot information and will potential corrupt the hard drive's boot information.

I've had this occur with my computer because my sister always leaves floppy disks in the FDD and some of the floppy disks were old bootup disks.

6. Lioness

Lioness Member

I have it set to FDD for the reason that was mentioned earlier...reformat. boot up disk etc. Yet, there are times I forget and leave in a disk (not bootdisk). However, I was thinking maybe I should set it up to first boot on my DVD-ROM. If I should have problems booting up, for whatever reason, I should be able to use my XPpro CD with the recovery console for a fix/repair. Right? Or should I use my XP floppy bootup disk? I prefer to have my recovery console fix the problem simply because it will walk me through the fix/repair. With a floppy bootup disk, I won't have this pleasure.

I have a P4B266. Does the F8 key give me the "first boot choice"?

7. MacaroneePenguin

MacaroneePenguin Senior member

Remember, you can always change it to whatever you want whenever you want since the OS does not inflict the BIOS. So, IMHO, I would just set it at none until the day I need to boot off my CD-Rom or Floppy.

8. pamf

pamf Senior member

I was going to comment, but everything I was going to say has been said.. I'd set your hd as the first boot device, and change it to fdd/cdrom when you need to boot off one of those.. saves some time and frustration ("non system disk? WHAT? OH CRAP NO%#@!%@! oh wait.. theres a disk in there.." .. heh)