Which PSU to buy for this build ?

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
Hi guys,I'm building new pc now,looking psu for long time. I'm coming from 750w EVGA G2,wanted to take EVGA g3 1000w,but the net is full of people complaining about noise issues and my priority is quietness of pc,so very pity but I think g3 isn't good in terms of silence :( So the build looks like this:

MB Z390
9700k (planning to oc) or maybe 9900k if price difference will be 10-15% on amazon/ebay
1080ti/2070 (planning to oc)
2x8gb DDR 4
1 nvme m2 500gb
4TB HDD
1440p monitor + 1080p TV (hooked up to pc for youtube,movies etc)

There are sometimes deals on g3 like now for e.g 1000w unit is for 110$
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ3SFB...olid=3U506258XYEC1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
but as I said before noise issues concerns me a lot...

So I came up with 2 other psu-s to choose,both are 850w units (since price for 650/750/850 is almost same I decided to take a 850 for a little future proof
Seasonic Focus Plus: https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR...sr=8-1&keywords=seasonic+focus+plus+850w+gold
CORSAIR RM850x v2 (2018 model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H5WNX...olid=3U506258XYEC1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
As I have read,this seasonic model also has some kind of noise issues under idle/load so I don't know,maybe corsair will be good choice ?
So which one do you recommend from this two? Or maybe you have some other models to look for ? Thanks in advance

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The G3, RMx, or the Focus Plus are all good units. That said your 750w G2 is plenty for your build and it's a quality unit with 10 year warranty, so there's really no need to replace it. I run a similar build as your potential build, and I easily do so with a 550w G3.

If you still want to replace it with a 1000w unit for whatever reason, the G3 and the Focus Plus gives you the option to disable the "fan stop" feature, so the fans will generally run at low RPMs, and will be quiet. I own both of those units, and I never hear their fans. The RMx doesn't have that switch, so when it gets hot enough for the fan to start, it will have to do so at higher RPMs until it cools down.

However, the biggest factor in not hearing a PSU fan (or any of your other fans in the PC, with the GPU fans being the most noticeable), is to choose a case with sound deadening material. If it's an open front and open top case, you will hear fan noise.

Edit:

Actually, I see this was already answered in the same post here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1710344-psu-buy-build.html

So go ahead and buy the Prime Ultra.

Last edited:

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
The G3, RMx, or the Focus Plus are all good units. That said your 750w G2 is plenty for your build and it's a quality unit with 10 year warranty, so there's really no need to replace it. I run a similar build as your potential build, and I easily do so with a 550w G3.

If you still want to replace it with a 1000w unit for whatever reason, the G3 and the Focus Plus gives you the option to disable the "fan stop" feature, so the fans will generally run at low RPMs, and will be quiet. I own both of those units, and I never hear their fans. The RMx doesn't have that switch, so when it gets hot enough for the fan to start, it will have to do so at higher RPMs until it cools down.

However, the biggest factor in not hearing a PSU fan (or any of your other fans in the PC, with the GPU fans being the most noticeable), is to choose a case with sound deadening material. If it's an open front and open top case, you will hear fan noise.

Edit:

Actually, I see this was already answered in the same post here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1710344-psu-buy-build.html

So go ahead and buy the Prime Ultra.

If you have read carefully that was some kind of sarcastic post from user and I don't understand why,it's 10$ difference between 650 and 850w unit and in this case I prefer to take 850 unit (because,why not ? :D)

And I also have case with sound dampening,it's be quiet silent base 800

Also I have to give my old rig (r9 390,3570k,8gb ram) to my friend,so I want to be sure he has nice psu so there it goes my old g2 (r9 390 is kinda power hungry,you know) My G2 steps in it's 4th year of usage and since I'm building much powerful rig than mine is,I decided to take fresh new PSU,I think that's not a bad idea ?

So I kinda want to take Seasonic Focus 850w,but I'm afraid of any sound issues and Corsair RM850x is promoted as some quiet psu,pffff it's kinda difficult for me to decide
Which one should I buy ? :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you have read carefully that was some kind of sarcastic post from user and I don't understand why,it's 10$ difference between 650 and 850w unit and in this case I prefer to take 850 unit (because,why not ? :D)

And I also have case with sound dampening,it's be quiet silent base 800

Also I have to give my old rig (r9 390,3570k,8gb ram) to my friend,so I want to be sure he has nice psu so there it goes my old g2 (r9 390 is kinda power hungry,you know) My G2 steps in it's 4th year of usage and since I'm building much powerful rig than mine is,I decided to take fresh new PSU,I think that's not a bad idea ?

So I kinda want to take Seasonic Focus 850w,but I'm afraid of any sound issues and Corsair RM850x is promoted as some quiet psu,pffff it's kinda difficult for me to decide
Which one should I buy ? :)

You said there was only a $10 difference to get the Prime Ultra in the thread I linked to above, so why not just buy that?

If you have a Be Quiet case, you shouldn't be able to hear any power supply unless you buy a $20 garbage unit.

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
You said there was only a $10 difference to get the Prime Ultra in the thread I linked to above, so why not just buy that?

If you have a Be Quiet case, you shouldn't be able to hear any power supply unless you buy a $20 garbage unit.
I didn't said that. I said there is 10$ difference between 650 and 850 focus gold series.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I didn't said that. I said there is 10$ difference between 650 and 850 focus gold series.

shilka:
The Seasonic Prime Ultra since you care so little about cost

You:
yeaahh.. 10$ difference is such premium price to pay

So it seems we are the same kind of point as your display thread where you seem to have already made your decision already. It sounds like from what you have said here and on the other forums, that you want the larger unit because of "why not?".

Just watch or read a few reviews on the Focus Plus and the RMx (which there are numerous reviews) which will detail the dB levels and fan RPMs, and then make your choice.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've read a lot of reviews and watched videos,still can't decide which one to take. While Seasonic Focus+ supposed to be better in terms of quality it's in TIer 2 while corsair rmx is in Tier 1: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
My priority is silence,seasonic has hybrid mode also,while corsair seems to be more quiet ? Don't know which one to take...

That is a user generated list. Seasonic is a tier 1 manufacturer, if not the best PSU manufacturer out there.

I guess if you can't decide, flip a quarter. They're both good units.

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
That is a user generated list. Seasonic is a tier 1 manufacturer, if not the best PSU manufacturer out there.

I guess if you can't decide, flip a quarter. They're both good units.

What do you think about this noise test from thg? It's for Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850
Does it mean until load of 450-500 it will be whisper quiet?
jRiGVPX

jRiGVPX

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you are this concerned about it being silent, maybe you should up your budget and go with a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 as it is generally the quietest unit when fans are running. I don't think it will matter that much since you have a quiet-focused case, but it should give you peace of mind on never hearing the PSU fan. Of course if you want to "future proof" and still get a larger 850w unit, you will pay a pretty penny for it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-11-850w-power-supply,4140-9.html

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL0cvNDk1OTUyL29yaWdpbmFsL1Jlc3VsdC0zMy0zM19BdmVyYWdlX05vaXNlX091dHB1dC1zbWFsbDEucG5n

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
More test results
Result-36-36_Average_Noise_Output_w_600.JPG

For such a high end build I would get a 850W unit, probably a titanium one.

I recommend not using the hybrid fan mode, because when the fan eventually does kick in, it will run at a higher, more audible RPM than if you just ran it in normal mode for a lower, more constant fan speed.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

I recommend not using the hybrid fan mode, because when the fan eventually does kick in, it will run at a higher, more audible RPM than if you just ran it in normal mode for a lower, more constant fan speed.

I think Tom's noise rating is a little misleading in that chart. That figure is at 100% load, and with high tempatures (47c I believe).

As long as a person doesn't run it at full capacity, the fan profile is much better (although still pretty aggressive with the 850w unit over 50%):

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases...Supply-Review/Efficiency-Differential-Tempera

29-Temps-table.jpg

That being said, people on the other forum where he has this posted at state the G2 is also very noisy, so I think I'm just going to check out of this thread. I think the OP has seen enough charts to pick whatever he wants to buy. I think I spent less time buying my house. :)

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I think Tom's noise rating is a little misleading in that chart. That figure is at 100% load, and with high tempatures (47c I believe).

Sure, I agree. For clarity's sake I didn't post it to make a point out of how bad a PSU the G3 is, because it's actually quite the opposite, but rather to show several low noise alternatives for OP.

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
More test results
Result-36-36_Average_Noise_Output_w_600.JPG

Interesting numbers,pity there is no 850w unit but I think it would be similar in to 750 in that chart and there is also very big difference between 650 and 750 units in terms of noise,why so ?

Anyways,I think I'll take Corsair this time

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Sure, I agree. For clarity's sake I didn't post it to make a point out of how bad a PSU the G3 is, because it's actually quite the opposite, but rather to show several low noise alternatives for OP.

No problem, nothing wrong with sharing reviews and thoughts. :)

After reading all the new responses in the other thread on Overclock.net, I realized there are just too many thoughts on what's noisy, and what isn't. I understand on an open case, but I just don't hear noise from my EVGA P2, G2, and G3, or my Seasonic Prime Ultra or Focus Plus Platinum. At the same time, I don't run anyone above 70% of their capacity, with most of the time in the 50% range.

Once I saw people saying pretty much every PSU out there being noisy, I decided to say adios. :)

From what I have gathered, the only PSU that people will agree about it being quiet is the Seasonic Fanless Titanium.......but I'm willing to bet someone will say it's noisy as well. ;)

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
I can hear my Titanium Fanless 600w clear across the room ...

... oh wait, that's the house heat pump kicking on. Never mind. :)

Reactions: UsandThem