which PC is best?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Of only those 3, I would go with the Cyberpower unit if for no other reason than it comes with Windows 10.

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
thanks I was thinking the same. I've been using laptops from 2008-09 for a while, need to get something better than that.

I didn't know what to think about 8.1 or 10, haven't used either one. I guess 10 is clearly superior version? I almost wanted to look for a Win7 but I guess its best to leave that behind...

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
The Asus has the fastest CPU, twice the RAM, and twice the HDD space, while the ABS has the fastest GPU (I think). You should be able to upgrade any of these to Windows 10.

What is your intended use-case?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
The Asus has the fastest CPU, twice the RAM, and twice the HDD space, while the ABS has the fastest GPU (I think). You should be able to upgrade any of these to Windows 10.

This. You've asked a 'how high is up?' question.

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
This. You've asked a 'how high is up?' question.

Yeah BUT reviewers mentioned a lot about the Asus has bad PSU and I didn't know if maybe the GPU was worse than the others or something on top of that -- Take into account these were all the same exact price when I was looking at them just a day or two ago.

I noticed that has now changed. Now the Asus is the highest, I know not by that much but that's enough I probably will go with a bit cheaper one.

I've just been using this old Sony Vaio for a while, and can't be sure
how long it will last. I really need to get a current Desktop replacement to hook up to my flatscreen TV (has PC input) before it bites the dust.

Even the 200-300$ they offer would be alot better and at least something I know the HDD won't burn out tommorow. But I want at least a little something under the hood, so to speak. In my experience 'light gaming' setup is really what I'm looking for. I even play a lot of games on this ancient thing, but needless to say, leaves something to be desired.

Yeah, almost forgot, if nothing else, I figure on anyone of these I can throw a new graphics card in to make it really where I want to be at. Last time I had anything current I bought a Lenovo w/ i3 tower from best buy, I just threw like a $120 card in there and that was pretty much enough for me.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I would go with the ASUS Desktop Computer M32BC-B01, but I must point out that all of those machines will require a GPU upgrade if you want to play games. If you cannot afford to upgrade the GPU then you should buy a used system that will allow for a $200 gpu. R9 380 should be the floor for 2016. If that means buying a used system for $250 then that is what you should do. Any old first gen Core i series quad core will do fine for gaming, and so will a workstation with a Xeon counterpart. You can find a Dell T7500 with a Xeon X5677 8GB 1TB and Win 7 for $350. That machine would be game just fine with a decent GPU. There are FAR cheaper ones with lower clocked CPUs that would still be fine for gaming and all around use.

Last edited:

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
Yeah not being in the market to spend a decent amount, I did think "go used". On the other hand I didn't want to sift through ebay/craigslist looking for a legit deal. Maybe I should though.

OS is another thing, now you've got windows 7, 8.1 and 10 to choose from. but I guess any of them will work okay, as far as compatibility with programs, etc.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
I would never purchase any of those PCs.

All have weak PSUs
All have AMD "processors" :thumbsdown:
All have underpowered graphics

Personaly if I was going to buy a computer that was already assembled(I wouldnt) I would use these guidelines.

4 core Intel CPU over 3.5Ghz
8-16GB ram
HDD wouldnt matter to me as I would buy an SSD for the boot drive and make the HDD as storage
Whatever GPU you can afford thats at or better than nVidia GTX 960 or the AMD equivalent as their GPUs are pretty good.

Ettitt

Jan 18, 2016
I am using ASUS Desktop. Among three of these ASUS Desktop Computer M32BC-B01 is my choice. With 8 GB ram it could be able to provide you good speed.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Cyberpower or Asus. Asus is better cpu wise in the long run I suppose. The Cyberpower has a better Corsair case for upgrades. As mentioned earlier, I would certainly look towards used options where you are though.

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
I'm broke Lol I'm looking at under $450 here, and I need everything, wifi adaptor, keyboard, etc. Hey and if you were using a 2009 laptop you certainly would buy any of these PC's it beats that for sure. LPCTech I'd be looking at higher priced stuff for what you are talking about.

I'll even have to go with the apparent bottom of the pile here because the cyberpower one is sold out and the asus went up. Plus, the vulcan also is the only one with a wifi adaptor.

Last edited:

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
Sorry im kind of a component snob lol.

But honestly if I were held at gunpoint to choose one it would be the vulcan

just buy another 4GB ram chip (ddr3 1600) = 30$ and you should be fine

maybe even a small ssd boot drive when you get more cash 120-240GB = 50-100$

():)

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Of the three, the Asus is probably the best value for you money. It's also by far the least garish, but that's a personal thing. The R7 240 will also be faster than the 730 or 720, though none of them are going to be playing FO4 at 1080p any time soon.

Aug 11, 2008
Again, what is the use case for the PC? To be honest, none of them are particularly attractive units. Looking on new egg right now, I see two asus i3 models and a Lenovo i3, all priced at 400.00. I would pick any of those three in preference to any of the models you listed. You can pick up a usb wifi adapter for 20 or 30 bucks.

Actually, here is an i3 for 370.00 link

Edit: I have not owned an Asus desktop, but have had good luck with two asus gaming laptops. Edit 2: I see you mentioned light gaming. The i3 will need a gpu upgrade for any kind of serious gaming, but so will any of the other 3 models you listed. You can do some gaming on the igp, and when the you can, pick up a GTX 750 or 750Ti for around 100.00 that will run on pretty much any psu and will offer decent entry level gaming.

Last edited:

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
is the i3 really that much better than what's offered on the others?? I know intel is superior brand but I figured the AMD cpus were at least comparable to the i3 on the Lenovo.

I've recently found out about using the "What will run it" option on "Can I run it" website. Lucky for me, the cheapest machines have the same CPU + GPU combos as three I've been looking at (besides none having the asus cpu), and they will all run my steam library and the few other things I am interested in. Even recommended for most everything. As you can probably tell, I have no interest in FO4 or anything like that.

The price on the Asus is fluctuating a lot, now there is a big sale I probably should take advantage of, if I can buy it soon. On top of that a limited coupon code to get even a little more off for it. Its hard to look past having 8gb ram and at least some sort of GPU, being that I will be unable to buy additional stuff for a while.

LPCtech, no problem at all. it's just that I often get told something similar all the time. Only once did I ever spend even $800 bucks on building a PC, and I probably wouldn't do it again. Even when I'm not so buried in bills and such and can afford to.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
The i3 is a very good processor for normal desktop use and light to moderate gaming. The 8 core FX is OK, but uses a lot of power and sacrifices single thread performance.

I would consider a six or 8 core FX if very budget constrained, but *never* one of the quad cores. If I were going to go quad core AMD, I would go with an FM2 apu. They have been updated to a newer, well relatively, architecture, use less power, and have a nice igp.

The problem with all 3 of those systems, is that you get the inefficiency of the FX, but the included dgpus are very, very mediocre, probably slower than the igp in an AMD APU.

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
well thanks for all the replies, I've gathered a lot of information I should use in looking at PCs.

Well due to who knows what going on with the IRS and my taxes, I'm putting the PC thing on hold. So maybe later when I can I'll be in a better position to spend a couple more bucks on a computer, and at least I've gathered a lot of useful information.

So again, thanks a lot for all the help, I'm going to be referencing this when I can go ahead and start looking to buy something :)

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I see that you're no longer looking, but here's a great deal to consider anyway:

Dell i5-4460, 4GB, 500GB, 1x1 .11n WiFi, Win 10 PRO 64bit $350

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...d=inspiron-3847-desktop&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Use code: 399DESKTOP

No GPU, but you aint gonna find a faster CPU at this price.
As suggested, you could add something like a Nvidia 750ti for $100.
This would make a far more powerful system on your previous $450 budget.

The CPU and Windows OS alone add up to ~300$ retail. That's $50 for the case, PSU, MOBO, RAM etc. Literally couldn't build it yourself this cheap.

Edit: If you miss out on that deal, you can find similar prices when Dell has a sale on their refurbished models (though usually older generation i5's).

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I'll refrain from posting this in the hot deals section for now...
Probably post it tomorrow afternoon if somebody else doesn't.

satch4684

Feb 1, 2016
waiting on my tax refund situation to get resolved, I'm far too buried in bills to think about it until then, at this rate could very well be april though o_O

but appreciate the deals you dug up, I'm kinda trying to keep an eye on whats around, in case I am back in the market in the next week or two. Just not holding my breath on it being cleared up that quick.