Which party will get the most votes nationally.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Well you can hope that if the Democrats don't win a Republican who's not controlled by the NeoCons will win which will be like having a different party in the White House than the one we have now. Actually it might be so bad to have a real Republican..you know one like the late Barry Goldwater who's not obliged to the Religious Whackos. MCain use to be like that (in fact I think he still is) I think a real Republican in thwe White House and a legislature controlled by the Dems would be able to start to reverse the downard trend this country has been headed in for the last 6 years.

McCain???

He's nothing but a Democrat guised as a "moderate" Republican.

The guy reminds me very much of John Kerry.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster
Well you can hope that if the Democrats don't win a Republican who's not controlled by the NeoCons will win which will be like having a different party in the White House than the one we have now. Actually it might be so bad to have a real Republican..you know one like the late Barry Goldwater who's not obliged to the Religious Whackos. MCain use to be like that (in fact I think he still is) I think a real Republican in the White House and a legislature controlled by the Dems would be able to start to reverse the downward trend this country has been headed in for the last 6 years.

McCain???

Gather around Ladies and Gentlemen and watch them eat their own !
Bear witness with your own eyes as they eat babies on the Whitehouse Lawn and proudly beat upon their chests.
They walk, they talk, they crawl on their bellies like a reptile.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Well you can hope that if the Democrats don't win a Republican who's not controlled by the NeoCons will win which will be like having a different party in the White House than the one we have now. Actually it might be so bad to have a real Republican..you know one like the late Barry Goldwater who's not obliged to the Religious Whackos. MCain use to be like that (in fact I think he still is) I think a real Republican in thwe White House and a legislature controlled by the Dems would be able to start to reverse the downard trend this country has been headed in for the last 6 years.

McCain???

Gather around Ladies and Gentlemen and watch them eat their own !
Bear witness with your own eyes as they eat babies on the Whitehouse Lawn
and proudly beat their chests.
They walk, they talk, they crawl on their bellies like a reptile.

Yep, they are the only snakes on the planet with armpits. In case anyone has ever wondered where the A-hole of the USA is located, here is the address:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

McCain???

Well at least according to a extremist nutjob who thinks both Rummy and Dummy are doing a good job:roll:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
McCain???

ROFL!!! Pabsie, you just made my morning. Dave, I think you should consider adding this to your .sig of P&N howlers.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
2008, as much as I hate to admit it, will be dominated by Democrats. The country may well be returned to being a democracy. :shocked:

If that doesn't happen, then some country might as well nuke us, cuz we're doomed anyway, at least on the present course we're on.

<-----------former Republican
I agree. The problem isn't Republicans per se. The ideal situation, in my opinion, is a balance of both Democrats and Republicans (ideally with a healthy mix of independents and third-party candidates, but that's another topic). The real problem is the neocons and religious extremists who have hijacked the Republican party and perverted it into a cruel parody of conservative values. America needs the Republican rank and file to take the party back from the Bush faithful.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: extra
ProfJohn is right that in the past decade or so pre-election polls seem to favor the Democrats by more than they should. Why? Who knows. /insert voting-machine conspiracy theories here--OH NOEZ!~!

No coincidence. It's called polls being taken by liberals with an agenda purposely skewing the polls the way they want them.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, the MSM is attempting the same BS this election as they tried in 2004. I guarantee you we will once again hear on the morning of Election Day that "Dems have won in a landslide". It is all part of their attempt to keep Republican votes discontented and at home, instead of at the polls voting. Make them think they've lost.

I think the GOP's turn out the vote efforts will rival 2004 and no poll can account for that.

True, there is no shortage of religious GOP radicals

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234
John, you post in another thread asking for evidence on the vote theft in 2004. It's given to you and you say you won't read it because you don't have time.

You fail to answer why you asked for the info then, but you have the time to come into this thread and post ill-informed speculation, wrong since you have not read the info.

So, you are out here polluting the discussion with falsehoods saying you don't have time to get informed. That's pretty bad. Log off and read a book, and we'll all be better off.
I don't see proof of anything Craig. Where is there evidence of vote theft? The fact that the polls were wrong is suppose to be evidence that someone is stealing votes?

You guys amaze me. When the right talks about making voters show picture IDs the left jumps up and down and runs out the claim that there has only been one proven case of voter fraud in X number of years.

But when election results are not what the left wants they again jump up and down and scream that someone is stealing votes.

Please explain to me how we are stealing 3 or 4% of the vote nation wide and not being caught at it? How are we stealing any significant number and not being caught? Sooner or later someone involved in this whole vote stealing scheme would end up spilling the beans. Even people in Washington feel guilty afterwards, look at the Foley and Reid scandals. In both cases people from their own party have been saying things about the scandal that hurt their side. In Foley we have the Republican aid who talked about going to Hastert and in Reid the whole thing started because of an aid being upset "AP first learned of the transaction from a former Reid aide who expressed concern the deal hadn't been properly reported."

I am 100% sure that if there was enough vote stealing going around as to actually make a difference sooner or later someone would fess up to it.

Once again if I am wrong, show me proof of vote stealing, and a poll that is wrong does not constitute proof.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Craig234
John, you post in another thread asking for evidence on the vote theft in 2004. It's given to you and you say you won't read it because you don't have time.

You fail to answer why you asked for the info then, but you have the time to come into this thread and post ill-informed speculation, wrong since you have not read the info.

So, you are out here polluting the discussion with falsehoods saying you don't have time to get informed. That's pretty bad. Log off and read a book, and we'll all be better off.
I don't see proof of anything Craig. Where is there evidence of vote theft? The fact that the polls were wrong is suppose to be evidence that someone is stealing votes?

You guys amaze me. When the right talks about making voters show picture IDs and the left jumps up and down and runs out the claim that there has only been one proven case of voter fraud in X number of years.

But when election results are not what the left wants they again jump up and down and scream that someone is stealing votes.

Please explain to me how we are stealing 3 or 4% of the vote nation wide and not being caught at it? How are we stealing any significant number and not being caught? Sooner or later someone involved in this whole vote stealing scheme would end up spilling the beans. Even people in Washington feel guilty afterwards, look at the Foley and Reid scandals. In both cases people from their own party have been saying things about the scandal that hurt their side. In Foley we have the Republican aid who talked about going to Hastert and in Reid the whole thing started because of an aid being upset "AP first learned of the transaction from a former Reid aide who expressed concern the deal hadn't been properly reported."

I am 100% sure that if there was enough vote stealing going around as to actually make a difference sooner or later someone would fess up to it.

Once again if I am wrong, show me proof of vote stealing, and a poll that is wrong does not constitute proof.

People like you never learn, simply because you refuse to listen.

A Real Professor once said, "You cannot teach anyone who is unwilling to learn".

That's a fact, and you qualify as a poster child to that description.

WWYBYWB

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Since once again polling data has become the center piece of a thread I thought I would again show evidence that the polls tend to skew towards Democrats.

From Pollingreport.com
2004 Presidential election results
Bush 51% Kerry 48%

Here are the "Pollster Vote Projections" i.e. their best guess as to who would end up with what.
Bush first Kerry second

Zogby 49.4 - 49.1
Battle ground: Tarrance(R) 51.2 - 47.8
Battle ground: Lake(D) 48.6 - 50.7
TIPP 50.1 - 48
Harris 49 - 48
Democracy Corps(D) 48.7 - 49.5
Gallup 49 - 49
Pew 51 - 48

So out of 8 polls: 3 were close to the real outcome. 2 picked the right winner, but had the numbers wrong. And 3 either had a tie of went for Kerry.
Notice that the two polls with the D next to them were run by Democrats and both predicted that Kerry would win... interesting huh?

Even more damning, of the 8 polls only 2 put Bush's total higher than the 50.75% that he actually got, while the other 6 put Bush's number lower than actual result. While on the other side 4 of them over stated Kerry's total. Only 1 under stated Kerry's actual vote.

So we have 2 polls that leaned towards Bush (Tarrance, Pew) 1 poll that was almost dead on (TIPP) and the other 5 leaned towards Kerry by 2% or more, one was 3% wrong and one was 4.5% wrong (which happens to be out of that polls MoE. That one was also run by a Democrat hmmmm)

You can talk about margin of error all you want, but when over half the polls create an error in one direction and only 2 go the other way there are definite problems with how they determine outcome and who really is a 'likely' voter.

The numbers are not as easy to run on Congressional preference because they don't have the nice "Final Tally" section of that.
Congress numbers
Actual results
Republicans 55 million Dems 52 million or
R 49% D 46.5% = R+2.5%
All of these are from late October of that year.
Once again Republican first Democrat second

George Washington U. 47 ? 44 = R+3
CNN/USA Today/ Gallup 47- 48 = D+1
NBC/Wall Street Journal 43 ? 44 = D+1
Newsweek 49 ? 44 =R+5
Democracy Corps (D) 45 ? 48 =D+3
AP 46- 47 = D+1
CBS/NY Times 39 ? 45 =D+6

7 polls. One of them (Newsweek) was semi close, had the R number right and the D number low. One of them (GW) had the winner right, with lower numbers for both sides. FIVE of them predicted that the Democrats would take a majority of votes for congress. 5 out of 7 were WRONG by more than 3% (MoE in all of there is around 3%)

Notice that NONE of these polls over stated the Republican number, but 3 of them over stated the Democrat number, which is HUGE because all of them have over 3% undecided or not sure. CNN and Democracy Corps had 5% not sure and still over stated the Dem vote by 2%. That means that every undecided and 2% of the people who said they would vote Democrat actually voted Republican.

CBS-NY Times gave Democrats a 6% point edge, a 9% point error from the actual vote. (and you wonder why we bitch about them the most?)
Of course no one would ever accuse them of being biased right?

Now please throw out your ?vote stealing? argument. Since 1% of the vote is nearly a million votes I would love to hear how Republicans stole over 2 millions votes without anyone getting caught.

What does this mean for this year? Well since most tracking polls show about a 10 point edge for the Democrats when we subtract the 4 point average error from 2004 we end up with a 6 point Democrat edge, which is going to hurt like hell on election day.

Ps. what a long ass post :)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

A Real Professor once said, "You cannot teach anyone who is unwilling to learn".

WWYBYWB
"Who were you before you were banned"

Once again someone on the left trying to shut up someone they don't agree with.
Glad I am not on a stage or I am sure you and your friends rush up on it with a sign reading "The right steals votes" or some other nonsense.

I am listening, now show me some proof of vote stealing.

And while you are at it, show me some proof that I was once banned.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Glad I am not on a stage or I am sure you and your friends rush up on it with a sign reading "The right steals votes" or some other nonsense.
No we'd complain that what you were doing with that Donkey was cruel and very unusual!

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002

WWYBYWB

Yeah 'someone on the left' which places me smack dab in the middle of the Moderate Conservatives
when compared with the radical extreme fruitcakes that have STOLE MY PARTY.
Just wait - we'll someday get back the wreck that they made of it, maybe there will be enough remaining to fix
but I fully expect the the whole country will kick it to the curb, trash that it will have become from your ilk.

WWYBYWB = It's along the lines of Who Would Jesus Waterboard and Torture

Only you would know, but if you slip up everyone will find out.

I don't have to PROVE anything to you, this is an Interned Forum, not a court of law.
So then - prove you weren't.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Since once again polling data has become the center piece of a thread I thought I would again show evidence that the polls tend to skew towards Democrats.

From Pollingreport.com
2004 Presidential election results
Bush 51% Kerry 48%

Here are the "Pollster Vote Projections" i.e. their best guess as to who would end up with what.
Bush first Kerry second

Zogby 49.4 - 49.1
Battle ground: Tarrance(R) 51.2 - 47.8
Battle ground: Lake(D) 48.6 - 50.7
TIPP 50.1 - 48
Harris 49 - 48
Democracy Corps(D) 48.7 - 49.5
Gallup 49 - 49
Pew 51 - 48

So out of 8 polls: 3 were close to the real outcome. 2 picked the right winner, but had the numbers wrong. And 3 either had a tie of went for Kerry.
Notice that the two polls with the D next to them were run by Democrats and both predicted that Kerry would win... interesting huh?

Even more damning, of the 8 polls only 2 put Bush's total higher than the 50.75% that he actually got, while the other 6 put Bush's number lower than actual result. While on the other side 4 of them over stated Kerry's total. Only 1 under stated Kerry's actual vote.

So we have 2 polls that leaned towards Bush (Tarrance, Pew) 1 poll that was almost dead on (TIPP) and the other 5 leaned towards Kerry by 2% or more, one was 3% wrong and one was 4.5% wrong (which happens to be out of that polls MoE. That one was also run by a Democrat hmmmm)

You can talk about margin of error all you want, but when over half the polls create an error in one direction and only 2 go the other way there are definite problems with how they determine outcome and who really is a 'likely' voter.

Hmm, interesting, but not particularly valid. First of all, EVERYONE admits that partisan polls are biased, they typically do not use a good scientific method and are NOT the focus of most serious discussions about polling. In any case, you included 2 biased polls from Dems and only one biased poll from Republicans, NOT a fair analysis if you ask me.

So let's throw out the partisan polls and look at what's left, which is the real meat of the argument. If your goal is to prove that partisan polls are biased, I'll grant that right now. What the debate is about is polls that claim to be non-partisan. What's left here is 5 polls that are not affiliated with either party. By my count, 4 of them predicted the correct winner and one of them predicted a tie. As for how each candidate did, 3 predicted Kerry's results, while 1 predicted Bush's results. Two polls were off on Kerry by +1%, while 3 were off on Bush by -2% and one was off by -1%.

Clearly biased for Kerry, right, assuming of course you decide to totally discount the margin of error (which you seem to think you can do for some reason, clearly you are not a professor of statistics). But you're discounting the effect of 3rd party voters, which 4 of the 5 polls overestimated. In fact, the inaccuracy of this estimate accounts for virtually all of the "error" in the polls, the results for Bush and Kerry are ONLY comparable to the real results if you assume that people who polled as 3rd party but voted Democrat or Republican went evenly to Bush and Kerry. The polls do NOT measure the chances of this happening, or make any promises to that effect, which is (one of the reasons) why there is a margin of error and why judging the poll by discounting the margin of error is scientifically flawed.

But what about my point about averaging polls? That is the emerging scientific way to do things, and smooths out small errors in any particular poll. It also produces highly accurate results (as the sites I talked about in my previous post indicate). A naive average done on the 5 non-partisan polls above gives the following outcome, Bush: 49.7% - Kerry: 48.42% - 3rd party or undecided: 1.88%. The winner is predicted correctly and Kerry's result is off by +0.42%, while Bush's result is off by -1.3%...well within any reasonable margin of error. But let's take it one step farther and look at just Bush vs Kerry (after all, no one is complaining about 3rd parties, your beef is that the polls are "clearly" biased towards Kerry). The real result was that, among people who voted for either Bush or Kerry, the results were Bush: 51.5% - Kerry: 48.5%. My average has a result of Bush: 50.7% - Kerry: 49.3%. That result is off by even less than 1%, Kerry +0.8% and Bush -0.8%. Not only is that damn close, and based on a naive average, but it makes assumptions about the polling data that are NOT true and not suggested by the polls.

Polls are highly accurate if you know what the hell you are doing, the issue is that most people do NOT know what they are doing. It's somewhat like flying a fighter jet, it's an excellent machine for WHAT IT'S DESIGNED FOR, but it's not going to do very well with some Joe Sixpack sitting in the cockpit pressing buttons at random. Polls are excellent FOR WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, the "problem" with them largely seems to come from people not knowing what the hell they are talking about or looking at.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

WWYBYWB

New ISP aside, give it a rest, really. Just ignore the posts when people call you out, you look foolish when you try and proclaim you did not previously post here under another name. Sheeesh.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: umbrella39

WWYBYWB

New ISP aside, give it a rest, really. Just ignore the posts when people call you out, you look foolish when you try and proclaim you did not previously post here under another name. Sheeesh.
So calling for the truth makes me look foolish? Nice.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
So calling for the truth makes me look foolish? Nice.

The fact that you pay attention to claims that you were once banned makes you look foolish.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I don't have to PROVE anything to you, this is an Interned Forum, not a court of law.
So then - prove you weren't.

I believe you made the accusation. That places the burden of proof squarely in your corner.

Prof is absolutely right. Lefties here love to try and curtail any opinion (and those who express it) that doesn't sit well with them.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Rain,
1. As far as the R v D polls, I didn't pick them, I just took the data right from the link.

2. You are trying to discount the two Democrat polls as being biased since we all expect them to be biased, that is a weak argument, why put the time and effort into a poll if you are only going to skew the results to fit what you want. I am sure the people who created those polls thought they were creating fair and accurate polls.

3. Throwing away the D and R polls and we are left with 5 polls. 4 of which were correct, very nice.
However, when you look at the predicted results and compare to the polls you still see some skew. If we throw out the 'not sures" the polls should still show a 3% victory for Bush, if the 'not sures' divide down the middle.
But we don't see that, what we see among the remaining polls were predicted victories for Bush of less than 1%, 2%, 1%, tie, 3%.
Also, we still see that all 5 of them guessed that Kerry would get 48% of the vote, even though 3-5% of the people had not yet made up there mind.
Additionally, only 2 predicted Bush getting over 50%, the other 3 pegged him at around 49%, 2 points lower than reality.

Like I said about MoE. If the polls showed a tendency to be both high for Bush AND Kerry then we can say that there are MoE problems. But when EVERY poll leans in one direction it brings in questions of methodology.

I stick to my previous statement, the polls tend to skew towards Democrats by 3-4 points.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Rain, the key to these polls is methodology in two key areas.

1. Determining who is a likely voter

2. Demographics.

Now Dick Morris, who is a polling genius (ask Bill Clinton about that) said that it appears that in 2004 pollsters over estimated the percentage of voters who would be female. Now since females tended to skew towards Kerry over stating their numbers by 1 or 2% would result in faulty polling data. Which is what we got.

I don't think these polls were rigged in anyway, I just think their methodology was wrong.

As I pointed out in my super-post, there were 17 total polls, and nearly ALL of them skewed towards the Democrats. That clearly shows an error of some type.

The fact that in the congressional preference polls 5 out of 7 were off by a margin GREATER than their MoE again shows faulty methodology.

As far as your ?Polls are highly accurate if you know what the hell you are doing? 5 out of 7 polls predicted that the Democrats were going to WIN congress. How accurate is that?

Enough about polls, my head is going to explode :)

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."
Mark Twain

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Rainsford
At the same time the exit polls in 2004 were a total shame. As some have said there is no way you miss the final results that much using exit polls. Something went seriously wrong is their polling methods. I believe he most likely cause was female voter turnout, they "guessed" the number of female who would turn out as being higher than it actually was and since Kerry took a larger portion of the female vote the exit polls showed him doing better than he actually did.

It was no accident. And expect to see a repeat in 3 weeks.

I wouldn't bet on it. The site www.electoral-vote.com, a site that averages many polls together (a far more accurate approach), has done some major reworking of their approach since 2004 (as have major polling agencies, I imagine). They applied their new method to the polls collected during 2004, and the results were accurate in every state except Iowa, a state that truly was a statistical tie for all intents and purposes and well within the margin of error. Every other state, believe it or not, was called correctly, with the exception of WI and NM, which were not predicted as they were too close to call. In other words, their current approach seems very accurate and well thought out.

So what do they make of this election? Well, they seem to think that the Senate will be almost tied, with a possible majority seat swinging one way or the other (the two likely Independent Senators will most likely be Democrats in all but name, at least for most purposes). In the House, they seem to think that the Reps are done for, the Dems will end up with a majority of several seats, at least 226.

But hey, www.electoral-vote.com was WRONG in 2004, right? Plus the guy who runs it leans left. So how about the competition, www.electionprojection.com, a site run by a red-blooded Republican voting Bush supporter? Not only is he in your political camp, but he was much more accurate in 2004...he did what EV.com was only able to do after the fact, predict the results in every state except one...he got Iowa wrong as well. But his 2004 approach was much more solid than EV.com, he has a great track record of accurate predictions.

So what's he saying this time around? Well, in the Senate he's saying basically a tie, with 50 Republicans, 48 Dems and 2 Independents. Since Lieberman and Sanders are more likely to side with Dems than Reps on most issues (especially Sanders), it's again, essentially a tied Senate. In the House, things aren't quite like EV.com is saying, but the Republicans are still done, with the projection of 222, a majority of 9 seats. Not earth shattering, but it would essentially be a reversal of the current House makeup.

Individual polls (that the Republicans flogged for MONTHS after 2004) can be wrong to a greater or lesser extent, but sources like the two mentioned above have a lot of solid theory behind how they do their predictions, and in both cases, especially the latter site, are quite accurate. You can scoff at predictions all you want, but I think you're leaning a little too much on a story that's been blown WAY out of proportion. The facts here are against you, the site that came within 1 state of prediction 2004 is telling you that the Republicans are going to lose their majorities in both houses and become the minority in at least the House...far from casting doubt on the results, 2004 supports their case.

:thumbsup: Well done and nice research.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Rain,
1. As far as the R v D polls, I didn't pick them, I just took the data right from the link.

2. You are trying to discount the two Democrat polls as being biased since we all expect them to be biased, that is a weak argument, why put the time and effort into a poll if you are only going to skew the results to fit what you want. I am sure the people who created those polls thought they were creating fair and accurate polls.
What difference does it make what they thought? Virtually no serious analysis of polling results takes into account partisan polls. You may feel that they should be included, and if you were conducting your own independent analysis, that would be fine. But your argument is that poll analysis suggesting Democratic victories are wrong, and that analysis almost exclusively uses NON-partisan polls...so you can hardly disprove their statements with partisan polls.

In any case, including an uneven distribution of biased polls will certainly skew the result, no matter how valid you think including such polls might be.

3. Throwing away the D and R polls and we are left with 5 polls. 4 of which were correct, very nice.
However, when you look at the predicted results and compare to the polls you still see some skew. If we throw out the 'not sures" the polls should still show a 3% victory for Bush, if the 'not sures' divide down the middle.
But we don't see that, what we see among the remaining polls were predicted victories for Bush of less than 1%, 2%, 1%, tie, 3%.
Also, we still see that all 5 of them guessed that Kerry would get 48% of the vote, even though 3-5% of the people had not yet made up there mind.
Additionally, only 2 predicted Bush getting over 50%, the other 3 pegged him at around 49%, 2 points lower than reality.

Like I said about MoE. If the polls showed a tendency to be both high for Bush AND Kerry then we can say that there are MoE problems. But when EVERY poll leans in one direction it brings in questions of methodology.

I stick to my previous statement, the polls tend to skew towards Democrats by 3-4 points.

Of COURSE there is "skew", I never argued that there wasn't. What I argued was that counting the skew as significant is fundamentally flawed thinking. Your mistake with considering margin of error is that you seem to think that it's the margin of error for a random statistical distribution, that the results only make sense if they are randomly distributed within that margin. Like flipping a coin 100 times and counting heads and tails, you expect 50 of each with a margin of error a few to either side. But the margin of error in a poll is NOT representative of uncertainty in a mathematical distribution. The factors causing a shift one way or the other are not equal, simply unknown...THAT is where the uncertainty comes from.

Your point, if I understand correctly, is that it's suspicious that EVERY poll had a positive error on Kerry's side and negative error on Bush's side. But again, there are factors that polls simply can't account for (again, that's why there is a margin of error)...and those factors are NOT a random distribution, it's very likely that they favor one candidate or the other. Had your scenario played out, with each poll having a different random skew to either side, I'd say it's way more likely an error in methodology rather than a factor that was unaccounted for.

I'm also not sure where you get your "3-4" point skew from, the average result from the 5 neutral polls was 1.72% in favor of the Dems. However, I will grant that apparently the factor that wasn't accounted for skewed the polls 1.72% in favor of Kerry, so in that sense it was "skewed". But that statement assumes an accuracy the polls don't promise, you are simply reading the results wrong.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Rain, the key to these polls is methodology in two key areas.

1. Determining who is a likely voter

2. Demographics.

Now Dick Morris, who is a polling genius (ask Bill Clinton about that) said that it appears that in 2004 pollsters over estimated the percentage of voters who would be female. Now since females tended to skew towards Kerry over stating their numbers by 1 or 2% would result in faulty polling data. Which is what we got.

I don't think these polls were rigged in anyway, I just think their methodology was wrong.

As I pointed out in my super-post, there were 17 total polls, and nearly ALL of them skewed towards the Democrats. That clearly shows an error of some type.

The fact that in the congressional preference polls 5 out of 7 were off by a margin GREATER than their MoE again shows faulty methodology.

As far as your ?Polls are highly accurate if you know what the hell you are doing? 5 out of 7 polls predicted that the Democrats were going to WIN congress. How accurate is that?

Enough about polls, my head is going to explode :)

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."
Mark Twain

No it doesn't. The methodology is perfect given the level of confidence they were looking for. Your complaint is, essentially, that a Honda Civic is not a Formula-1 car. Which, while true, was never a promise made by the folks at Honda.

As for the Congressional polls, you're applying the margin of error wrong. It would take a fair amount of statistics to explain it (and I'm not sure I understand the concept all that well myself), but it's wrong to put results in terms of totally right or totally wrong in relation to the real results and the margin of error. As I said, it's very much about what you think polls mean. If you think they represent iron-clad absolute results of what it going to happen, you'll be disappointed.