Which party will get the most votes nationally.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If you add up all the votes for the House, Senate and Presidential campaigns in 2004 the Republicans had a three percent advantage over the Dems.
Just FYI the current polls indicate a 7 percent Dem advantage this year.
Predictions?

I am going with 5 percent Dem advantage.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
The only thing that can save the Republican party at this point is the severe gerrymandering.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I posted before that pre election polls tend to favor the Democrats by as much as 4 points more than they should. Which means they should get about 3% more than the Republicans.

Personally, I am not sure it will be that much, more likely near even. The Republicans have a HUGE turnout the vote plan in place and many expect this to have a large impact on turn out on election day.

Based on the most recent news and polls I am thinking who ever holds the House will do so by less than 5 seats. The news cycle of the next 3 weeks will most likely determine who wins and who losses. So watch for lots of anti-Republican stories.

(Notice we are already seeing the "Republicans are going to lose stories" just like we did in 2004. An obvious attempt to keep voter turnout low on the Republican side)

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
ProfJohn is right that in the past decade or so pre-election polls seem to favor the Democrats by more than they should. Why? Who knows. /insert voting-machine conspiracy theories here--OH NOEZ!~!

However, I *majorly* disagree with his assessment that "Republicans are going to lose" stories are an attempt to keep voter turnout low on the Republican side. I believe the opposite is true.

Take human behavior into account.

If you are in an area where you are quite sure the guy you want is going to win, you have less incentive to go and vote. After all, it won't matter if you do or don't.

If you are in an area where you are worried the guy you want to win isn't going to win you have a lot more incentive to go out and vote.

Fear is one of the best motivators.

It seemed that in 2004 a lot of the media was pretty sure Kerry was going to win. I heard TONS of "Bush is going to lose for sure" going around and verrrry little "Bush will win". I believe that fear of the democrats winning the race motivated republicans to get out and vote more than they would have had bush been a sure thing.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: extra
ProfJohn is right that in the past decade or so pre-election polls seem to favor the Democrats by more than they should. Why? Who knows. /insert voting-machine conspiracy theories here--OH NOEZ!~!

No coincidence. It's called polls being taken by liberals with an agenda purposely skewing the polls the way they want them.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, the MSM is attempting the same BS this election as they tried in 2004. I guarantee you we will once again hear on the morning of Election Day that "Dems have won in a landslide". It is all part of their attempt to keep Republican votes discontented and at home, instead of at the polls voting. Make them think they've lost.

I think the GOP's turn out the vote efforts will rival 2004 and no poll can account for that.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

No coincidence. It's called polls being taken by liberals with an agenda purposely skewing the polls the way they want them.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, the MSM is attempting the same BS this election as they tried in 2004. I guarantee you we will once again hear on the morning of Election Day that "Dems have won in a landslide". It is all part of their attempt to keep Republican votes discontented and at home, instead of at the polls voting. Make them think they've lost.

I think the GOP's turn out the vote efforts will rival 2004 and no poll can account for that.

Oh no, the vast left-win conspiracy!

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

Is that tinfoil hat a bit uncomfortable? I think you manage to top Dave in paranoia.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
I don't think it has anything to do with any left-wing conspiracy, it has to do with polls in general lol.

Many polls are done by phone. Even with a fairly large sample size these polls are inherently wrong.

People have cell phones, no phone at all, use VOIP, unlisted numbers, etc etc. Taking a poll by phone just isn't very accurate. I'm sure some statistics person could team up with some sociologists and come up with a way to compensate for any partisan bias in various parts of the country, but man it'd be a ton of work. Better to just not worry about polls done by phone.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I don't think it has anything to do with any left-wing conspiracy, it has to do with polls in general lol.

Many polls are done by phone. Even with a fairly large sample size these polls are inherently wrong.

People have cell phones, no phone at all, use VOIP, unlisted numbers, etc etc. Taking a poll by phone just isn't very accurate. I'm sure some statistics person could team up with some sociologists and come up with a way to compensate for any partisan bias in various parts of the country, but man it'd be a ton of work. Better to just not worry about polls done by phone.

OR you could have a crazy value called the margin of error that takes those kinds of things into account...which almost all polls have, and which are almost always right. Polls are not "inherently wrong", the problems with polls stem mostly from peoples' total inability to understand what they are looking at.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Yeah, people do tend to ignore the margin of error, you are right on that. However I do stand by my opinion that taking polls by phone just isn't an accurate way to get the opinion of the population.

Paddington

Jun 26, 2006
Liberals spend a lot of time conjuring up whackass conspiracy theories and bragging about how things will be when they win the election, WHICH THEY ARE SOOOOOO SURE OF.

Conservatives spend their time on constructive Get Out The Vote efforts, which pays dividends on election day.

:beer:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Paddington
Liberals spend a lot of time conjuring up whackass conspiracy theories and bragging about how things will be when they win the election, WHICH THEY ARE SOOOOOO SURE OF.

Conservatives spend their time on constructive Get Out The Vote efforts, which pays dividends on election day.

:beer:

That damn liberal Pabster and his "wack-ass conspiracy theories".

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford

OR you could have a crazy value called the margin of error that takes those kinds of things into account...which almost all polls have, and which are almost always right. Polls are not "inherently wrong", the problems with polls stem mostly from peoples' total inability to understand what they are looking at.
Rain... if one poll was within the margin of victory I might be willing to listen to you

But when 5 or 6 polls are ALL wrong by 3-4 points in the same direction it makes you start to wonder.

It is more about when and how they poll than anything else. Especially important is how they determine who a "likely" voter is.

At the same time the exit polls in 2004 were a total shame. As some have said there is no way you miss the final results that much using exit polls. Something went seriously wrong is their polling methods. I believe he most likely cause was female voter turnout, they "guessed" the number of female who would turn out as being higher than it actually was and since Kerry took a larger portion of the female vote the exit polls showed him doing better than he actually did.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Rain... if one poll was within the margin of victory I might be willing to listen to you

But when 5 or 6 polls are ALL wrong by 3-4 points in the same direction it makes you start to wonder.

It is more about when and how they poll than anything else. Especially important is how they determine who a "likely" voter is.

At the same time the exit polls in 2004 were a total shame. As some have said there is no way you miss the final results that much using exit polls. Something went seriously wrong is their polling methods. I believe he most likely cause was female voter turnout, they "guessed" the number of female who would turn out as being higher than it actually was and since Kerry took a larger portion of the female vote the exit polls showed him doing better than he actually did.

The polls are more accuate projection of who americians support than the voting.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

It was no accident. And expect to see a repeat in 3 weeks.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
John, you post in another thread asking for evidence on the vote theft in 2004. It's given to you and you say you won't read it because you don't have time.

You fail to answer why you asked for the info then, but you have the time to come into this thread and post ill-informed speculation, wrong since you have not read the info.

So, you are out here polluting the discussion with falsehoods saying you don't have time to get informed. That's pretty bad. Log off and read a book, and we'll all be better off.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I'd still argue that, while it IS statistically interesting, such outcomes were NOT "wrong" in the sense most people mean the word. Now obviously the fact that they were all wrong the same way sounds interesting, it actually makes a fair amount of sense as a statistical error and not some sort of polling bias. Had individual polls been off DIFFERENT directions, a scenario you seem to view as more believable, I'd have been a lot more suspicious. Polling is a science, and polls should follow fairly similar methods. The outcome here indicates that there is some flaw in those methods that, for some reason, tended to favor Kerry. Had the outcome been all over the board, it would suggest that the polling method was NOT the cause of the results, but some form of bias.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

It was no accident. And expect to see a repeat in 3 weeks.

I wouldn't bet on it. The site www.electoral-vote.com, a site that averages many polls together (a far more accurate approach), has done some major reworking of their approach since 2004 (as have major polling agencies, I imagine). They applied their new method to the polls collected during 2004, and the results were accurate in every state except Iowa, a state that truly was a statistical tie for all intents and purposes and well within the margin of error. Every other state, believe it or not, was called correctly, with the exception of WI and NM, which were not predicted as they were too close to call. In other words, their current approach seems very accurate and well thought out.

So what do they make of this election? Well, they seem to think that the Senate will be almost tied, with a possible majority seat swinging one way or the other (the two likely Independent Senators will most likely be Democrats in all but name, at least for most purposes). In the House, they seem to think that the Reps are done for, the Dems will end up with a majority of several seats, at least 226.

But hey, www.electoral-vote.com was WRONG in 2004, right? Plus the guy who runs it leans left. So how about the competition, www.electionprojection.com, a site run by a red-blooded Republican voting Bush supporter? Not only is he in your political camp, but he was much more accurate in 2004...he did what EV.com was only able to do after the fact, predict the results in every state except one...he got Iowa wrong as well. But his 2004 approach was much more solid than EV.com, he has a great track record of accurate predictions.

So what's he saying this time around? Well, in the Senate he's saying basically a tie, with 50 Republicans, 48 Dems and 2 Independents. Since Lieberman and Sanders are more likely to side with Dems than Reps on most issues (especially Sanders), it's again, essentially a tied Senate. In the House, things aren't quite like EV.com is saying, but the Republicans are still done, with the projection of 222, a majority of 9 seats. Not earth shattering, but it would essentially be a reversal of the current House makeup.

Individual polls (that the Republicans flogged for MONTHS after 2004) can be wrong to a greater or lesser extent, but sources like the two mentioned above have a lot of solid theory behind how they do their predictions, and in both cases, especially the latter site, are quite accurate. You can scoff at predictions all you want, but I think you're leaning a little too much on a story that's been blown WAY out of proportion. The facts here are against you, the site that came within 1 state of prediction 2004 is telling you that the Republicans are going to lose their majorities in both houses and become the minority in at least the House...far from casting doubt on the results, 2004 supports their case.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, people do tend to ignore the margin of error, you are right on that. However I do stand by my opinion that taking polls by phone just isn't an accurate way to get the opinion of the population.

so people with cell phones, no phone at all, use VOIP, unlisted numbers, and so on are mostly republicans or democrats? you must have some facts to back it up because if its just no different from those who have phones then those people dont matter when it comes to the statistics

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

And lets not forget that if everyone were required to vote the Democrats would control the Presidency and the Congress by huge, huge, huge margins.
Let's not forget that in polls of all registered voters Democrats get something like a 5 percent boost over polls of "likely" voters (registered voters who say they will vote).
The reason Democrats have seemed to enjoy a slight advantage in polls of "likely" voters over the last few years is that the Republicans get many more of their voters to the voting booths. While polled Democratic voters say they will actually vote less of them do than Repubicans who say they will vote. The statistical models probably need to be updated slightly.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I'd still argue that, while it IS statistically interesting, such outcomes were NOT "wrong" in the sense most people mean the word. Now obviously the fact that they were all wrong the same way sounds interesting, it actually makes a fair amount of sense as a statistical error and not some sort of polling bias. Had individual polls been off DIFFERENT directions, a scenario you seem to view as more believable, I'd have been a lot more suspicious. Polling is a science, and polls should follow fairly similar methods. The outcome here indicates that there is some flaw in those methods that, for some reason, tended to favor Kerry. Had the outcome been all over the board, it would suggest that the polling method was NOT the cause of the results, but some form of bias.

Actually when so many polls tell the same story, polls from different sources, but when it comes to the election results its completely different. This tells me that if anything was wrong then it were the election results.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
2008, as much as I hate to admit it, will be dominated by Democrats. The country may well be returned to being a democracy. :shocked:

If that doesn't happen, then some country might as well nuke us, cuz we're doomed anyway, at least on the present course we're on.

<-----------former Republican

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
2008, as much as I hate to admit it, will be dominated by Democrats. The country may well be returned to being a democracy. :shocked:

If that doesn't happen, then some country might as well nuke us, cuz we're doomed anyway, at least on the present course we're on.

Well you can hope that if the Democrats don't win a Republican who's not controlled by the NeoCons will win which will be like having a different party in the White House than the one we have now. Actually it might be so bad to have a real Republican..you know one like the late Barry Goldwater who's not obliged to the Religious Whackos. MCain use to be like that (in fact I think he still is) I think a real Republican in thwe White House and a legislature controlled by the Dems would be able to start to reverse the downard trend this country has been headed in for the last 6 years.

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

Wow. I don't know if I agree with your first supposition, I do the second. These are very dicey times.
We will see the reach of the average American voter in the next couple of elections. If the average American voter is who I think he is, we?re in for a World of hurt.