Which OS for Emulating Mid-90's Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Generally games didn't require 3d acceleration before dx7, so I'd imagine a VM can do software graphics for all the older games.

Vm will show up as an 480x400 VGA with 16 colors ,even games that are that old won't work on that.

You will have to run a tool like scitech display doctor which will give you some basic resolutions and will alow you to play some games.
Performance will be horible though.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Why not just run DosBox?

I've tried dosbox and my pentium II PC running DOS and the native solution was clearly better for one of my favorite games (Grand Prix 2), dosbox wouldn't run it at the correct speed with all the graphics on max (SVGA), also I have a few small problems on dosbox even with basic games,

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Vm will show up as an 480x400 VGA with 16 colors ,even games that are that old won't work on that.

You will have to run a tool like scitech display doctor which will give you some basic resolutions and will alow you to play some games.
Performance will be horible though.

VMWare doesn't provide SVGA?
There isn't some hardware emulated that does SVGA at least?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Try to build a PC using graphics cards and motherboards that have Win9X drivers might be the only real way to get 100% compatibility.