Which one you think is the best?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
The "best" is kind of hard to quantify. In terms of playtime, I got the most mileage out of the Dawn of War games (still need to get Soulstorm at some point). Lots of different factions to master. I didn't really care for the campaigns in stock DoW or Winter Assault, but I had a lot more fun with the Dark Crusade style campaign, which was more open-ended.

Coming in second would be Civ 2, which I put more time into than all of the rest of the Civ games combined. And third would be Company of Heroes / CoH: Opposing Fronts -- same engine as Dawn of War, but some different gameplay mechanisms and different feel (not to mention a WWII theme instead of sci-fi).

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
war3 is still most playable and best rts out there imo. alpha centari is a good strat game too

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
you call these games "Strategy"? whats the strategy in them? pile up the most powerful unit and rush forwards regardless of losses?

there are REAL strategy games out there where you decisions affect the outcome of the battles and you take units from mission to mission so you absolutely have to get the most out of every encounter. where you pick A STRATEGY and stick with it, if it works you feel like God, if it fails you've wasted hours of your life and restart the mission.

one good example is Fantasy Wars (by 1C Company which i love every product they make). its turn based, fantasy setting and very very challenging. this game makes you think, plan ahead, position yourself to get the best results.
the gameplay really reminds me of Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. that was an amazing game.

i admit i was addicted to C&C back in 96 i think it was, and the first Red Alert when it came out but thos aren't really strategy games. i've quit the RTS genre after 1 C&C, 1 Red Alert, 1 Starcraft, 2 Dungeon Keepers and 1 Dark Reign. i've just had enough.

/rant

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Borealis7
you call these games "Strategy"? whats the strategy in them? pile up the most powerful unit and rush forwards regardless of losses?

there are REAL strategy games out there where you decisions affect the outcome of the battles and you take units from mission to mission so you absolutely have to get the most out of every encounter. where you pick A STRATEGY and stick with it, if it works you feel like God, if it fails you've wasted hours of your life and restart the mission.

one good example is Fantasy Wars (by 1C Company which i love every product they make). its turn based, fantasy setting and very very challenging. this game makes you think, plan ahead, position yourself to get the best results.
the gameplay really reminds me of Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. that was an amazing game.

i admit i was addicted to C&C back in 96 i think it was, and the first Red Alert when it came out but thos aren't really strategy games. i've quit the RTS genre after 1 C&C, 1 Red Alert, 1 Starcraft, 2 Dungeon Keepers and 1 Dark Reign. i've just had enough.

/rant

It's true that many of these strategy games are more tactical in nature. This fact does not make them bad games however.

Might I suggest: Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld.

Oct 30, 2004
I second the recommendation for Sins of a Solar Empire which is going to win some Strategy Game of the Year awards and deservedly so. The online multiplayer Sins game is very challenging and requires all sorts of strategic and tactical considerations in addition to scouting out and countering your opponents' fleet compositions.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Pelu
Sup all... Which one you think is the best strategy game right now?

Turn based strategy - Final Fantasy Tactics

Real time strategy - WC3 or TA with Core Contingency

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Company of Heroes. I'm biased since I haven't played any of the other recent online RTS's, but COH is an amazing game.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Well, I still enjoy Homeworld 2 computer matches... Great fun for an hours or so.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Borealis7

/rant

The games where you can win just by building a massive army and throwing it at your enemy are annoying. I like Company of Heroes because no matter how big your army is, if you're not using it right it's not going to work. If you rush in with a bunch of tanks, you're fucked if your enemy has a couple of AT guns and has planted a few mines. You have to have a balanced force, and you have to know how to use it - tanks facing forward, infantry flanking the armor, machine guns covering your tanks.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Rome Total War
Galactic Civilizations 2

Honorable mention to:
Sins of a Solar Empire
World in Conflict

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
The oldie, Cavedog's "Total Annihilation"...

Fantastic... still on the HD...

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Considering all factors starcraft is the best by a huge margin. Nothing will ever surprass it except starcraft II.