Which one would you buy Asus GTS 64MB or Hercules GTS 64MB?

MnM

Jun 19, 2000
As the topic says. In the area I live in both cards are gonna be available on Tuesday next week. Now I dont know which one to buy.
Which one would you guys get and why?
Ahhh and the Asus one is about 100 bucks cheaper than the Hercules (those 100 buck are Australian bucks)

Henry Kuo

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2000
From what I read about Geforce 1, Asus sounds more impressed to me. Plus that 100 bucks can be quite something.

shk

Banned
May 17, 2000
I'd recommend Hercules ProphetII GTS version. Their chips run in cooler temperture due to factory attached heatsinks on every single memory chips and also they are more overclockable. ;- )

bighurtx82

May 17, 2000
If you have a kx133 motherboard you will probably want to go with the Asus. The Prophet II has had many compatability problems with the kx133 motherboards. So far I haven't seen too many problems with the Asus geforce 2 cards.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My experience with Asus has been very good, frequent driver updates, and very high quality HW.

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
Stay away from the HERCULES card. From everything i have read it is a poor quality card compared to the other Geforce2 cards. More people are having problems with it then any other Geforce2 card.

The ram heatsinks are useless, and every reviewer has said they do nothing at all except look cool. Even the heatsink on the chip itself is said to be attached with cheap 2 sided tape that heats up and falls off. The 2D quality is also said to be the worse of any Geforce2 card.

Almost all the reviews i have read say the Hercules card is just poorly manufactured. Also, the company isn't even the same company as before. They were bought by Guillemot and they just have the rights to use the Hercules name now, so don't be fooled.

So look around at the reviews and be careful. The Leadtek and Asus 64meg cards are out now, and they are said to be much higher quality then the Hercules.

MnM

Jun 19, 2000
I think is going to be an Asus board for me then. Yeah I will use it in my BE6-2 (and hopefully it can take 148fsb as its 32mb sister).
ANy reviews yet on the web for the Asus 64mb card?

scottie

Oct 11, 1999
Love my Herc 64MB GTS. Overclocked to 230/390, beautiful 2D and 3D. Cost too damn much, though.

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
scottie: What type of monitor and resolution do you run your Hercules on? I cannot get it to look good at any resolution above 1280x1024 @ 85hz. (That resolution makes it look kind of crummy too!)

scottie

Oct 11, 1999
I run at 1024 x 768, 32-bit on a KDS Visual Sensations monitor. Looks good. I don't run any higher resolutions because the type's too small. In fact, I run large fonts at 1024 x 768.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I have the Gullemot/Hercules model and it can run 240/415 with ease..it has great reviews and performs magnificently. I havent seen a review on the ASUS version but I know I had a V6800 and a friend who has a V7700 and they perform very well also, but do not OC quite as high. However I see no substantial gains in OCing the chip anyway. High processor speed is the greatest gain.

Lore, I have a newer LaCie 19 inch electron 19 Blue, and the colors are probably the best I have ever had with a Geforce video card with this Hercules. Make sure you are not running your monitor out of specs and have the correct INF running your monitor. Even most of the best large monitors support only 1280x1024 at 85HZ or so and running higher destops at high resolution may be out of spec..try running at lower refresh like 75HZ or 65HZ and see if it improves. You simply are not going to get more than the monitor is capable of despite what the video card itself will support. hope this helps