Which one will win in a fight?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Gorilla. High dex, str, and con. Bear only has high str and con but also a lower int.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
The bear would win. He has claws and sharp teeth. Also, as a predator they are more predisposed to fighting other animals.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
If the two were equally angry (Read: utterly pissed off), I would guess the gorilla would win. The bear may have claws and sharp teeth, but a gorilla is a monster and can take sh!t and dish out just as much.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
My money is on the gorilla. Just way too much raw power, quickness and stamina for the bear to handle. Gorillas, pound for pound, are probably one of the strongest animals on the planet. The gorilla would bum-rush the bear and knock the bear flat on it's back. Then the gorilla would likely rip off the bear's limb before using said limb to smash in the bear's skull. The bear has sharp claws/fangs but I don't think it would get close enough to utilize them.

Gorilla FTW

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacemaker
The bear would win. He has claws and sharp teeth. Also, as a predator they are more predisposed to fighting other animals.

you do know bears pretty much eat berries, roots, bark and the occasional fish when they can catch them?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Bear, hands down.

Gorilla's have a very similar diet, that doesn't mean anything.

Bear's have dense bones, Grizzlies in particular, to go with those claws, and could likely withstand any type of impact damage the gorilla might try to inflict, and gorilla's aren't going to do much damage with their teeth

I think a human would have a better chance to escape from a black bear than a gorilla, but in a fight between a gorilla and a black bear, the bear wins.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I would think that a Gorilla would win. More agile, physical strength, and smarter.
On the other hand, if it's a mama bear protecting her young, I could see it being a much bloodier battle.
But male vs male I would say the Gorilla.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Depends on what they are fighting for

Fight over a fish = Bear wins
Fight over a bannna = Gorilla wins

It's all about motivation:)

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I'm not sure that Black Bears are aggressive enough to take down a pissed off gorilla. But a Grizzly would decimate any gorilla that you throw at it.

So to answer this poll: Gorilla

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
There's only one way to find out. We'll need to rent a small arena, capture ten bears and gorillas, and set them to fight one-by-one, recording results.