Which one 8800GTX of the two would you get?

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Well title says it all. I'm going to buy mine tomorrow morning so I need you opinion..EVGAis 639 euro and Gainward649.. I'm leaning towards Gainward but what do you suggest?

* Also one more question. I have an Antec Neopower 480W with the rig in my sig.. Do you think that I will need a new psu as well..? Nvidia suggests a 420-450W psu, but should I be more careful? I had a friend that on the same psu put a Quad Core 6700@3.3GHz and a 8800GTX as well which he o/c w/o issues? Should I leave it for the time being or necessarily swap it? Thanx

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
If the evga is cheaper, go with that.

As for the psu, you should be fine but if you experience issues then you can upgrade. psu is something that should be upgraded on a need basis.

Oh yeah and don't forget to enjoy that card :) I'm still blown away by those benchmarks...

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
If the evga is cheaper, go with that.

As for the psu, you should be fine but if you experience issues then you can upgrade. psu is something that should be upgraded on a need basis.

It's only 10 euros difference in price.. As for the psu, I know I'm preaching that myself.. But you see if it will be possible I will wait for better psus.. I need to get something very very good when I'll swap it..

Oh yeah and don't forget to enjoy that card :) I'm still blown away by those benchmarks...

Thx m8. :) Me too.. I thought I should wait for R600 but why do that? Refreshes will be available soon IF I have the need to change it I'll see what will I do. I won't wait for ATI 2-3 months this time..

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006
Originally posted by: jim1976
Well title says it all. I'm going to buy mine tomorrow morning so I need you opinion..
EVGA is 639 euro and Gainward 649.. I'm leaning towards Gainward but what do you suggest?

* Also one more question. I have an Antec Neopower 480W with the system of my rig.. Do you think that I would need a new psu as well.. Nvidia suggests a 420-450W psu, but should I be more careful? I had a friend that on the same psu put a Quad Core 6700@3.3GHz and a 8800GTX as well which he o/c w/o issues? Should I leave it for the time being or necessarily swap it? Thanx

Oh, I sure hope your friend's power supply fizzes his system... :frown:

That's just ignorant of him. But you'll be fine. :D

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
Well I said go with evga since I think they provide the acs3 cooling, which has a heatsink on the back of the card as well. So it's not only cheaper but more value too.

SZ

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369
Well I said go with evga since I think they provide the acs3 cooling, which has a heatsink on the back of the card as well. So it's not only cheaper but more value too.

SZ

Well it has 2 versions I'm talking about the non AS3 version..

Anyone else?

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I just picked Gainward because I used to get the best OC's on them back when they sold cards in the U.S. However, eVGA has a killer warranty. I don't know what Gainward offers.

enz660hp

Jun 19, 2006
what is with pny, why are they ALWAYS cheaper than the rest? My card is pny...and that came with a defective dvi port? do they cheap out? cut corners?

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Avalon
I just picked Gainward because I used to get the best OC's on them back when they sold cards in the U.S. However, eVGA has a killer warranty. I don't know what Gainward offers.

That's my logic too.. Dunno though since now they have the same (from what I can see) cooling system.. I know Gainward as a quality product, I've never bought from EVGA before..
I like the black HSF more too it goes better with my black Gskill inside :p

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
I would get a GTS instead of a GTX if there was that option and I'd get an eVGA.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I voted for eVGA because that's the only I knew in the poll.
WhoTH is Gainward?

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
eVGA, uber warranty. You can do about anything to the card and they'll warranty it.

nib95

Jan 31, 2006
EVGA easy.

However, if you live in the UK, definately Gainward.
Cant remember where I saw it, but one UK site is selling gainward ones dirt cheap.
Like £420 compared to the EVGA's cheapest UK price of like £480.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
This is the wrong place to poll the Gainward since there are not too many of mates here who are from the UK. You'd have better balancing and un-biased votes with site like overclockers.uk, imo.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Thanx everyone for their help.. I went with EVGA afterall..
The card is a freakin monster and I like the design better..
Now let's see how good it O/Cs :p

obeseotron

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
On this first batch of cards nVidia built the cards themselves (or rather had Foxconn build it to nVidia's reference spec) and then sent the cards out to partners as complete cards. There will be no difference in the silicon on the first batch. The card makers have the option of using their own cooling, and may differ in warranty or bundle or something like that, but the card you are getting is the same. This may change a few months down the road as a few companies will make their own 8800's, but for now, the difference is the sticker on the fan and the phone number you call if your card burns up.

hotlips69

Feb 25, 2005
I e-mailed Gainward to ask them about whether their card has the HDCP crypto rom chip on their 8800GTX and they replied "No"

A bit surprising seeing as most other companies seem to have this included.

I'm also confused as to if this is possible seeing as all the card are supposed to be made by the same company with just different marketing??????