Which one? 3GHz, 2.8GHz, AMDs?

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002
I'm planning on an upgrade on my system. Just wondering which processor to go for....

Upgrading from a p3 450mhz, any cpu would impress me speed-wise. But yeah, I'm thinking 2.8Ghz....not as expensive as 3Ghz, but fast anyway.

However, the 3Ghz ones are receiving quite a lot of press recently with hyper-threading and all. I've got this sneaky feeling, it's all hype. The current software is not designed to make full use of the HT technology anyway....so I would guess any performance increase over the 2.8Ghz would be minimal (and not worth paying the extra money for). (???)

AMDs are another option...having never owned an AMD processor, can't really have an opinion on this.....

What do u guys think?

EKAtBzboyz

Nov 1, 2002
since you are thinking about a 2.8/3.06 i think its safe to assume youve got some cash to blow ;)

have a look at http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137751

if you can wait for a little while longer, until the C1 chips are more widely available, those should be ungodly overclockers (especially 1.8 and 2.26 with their really low mults)

also the granite bay (dual channel ddr) is coming out soon

cant say anything about hyperthreading until its out and ive seen some information/review regarding it
for ht, the cpu shows up as a dual and makes use of unused portions of the cpu that would normally be not used during each cycle

for amd i would look at the new xp2600+ (333mhz fsb)

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002
Man, they've got so many things coming out "soon"....

Hmn....*thinks* maybe i should wait

Do the prices of 2.8Ghz and such one-step-below-the-top-range-parts go up in prices during Christmas?

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
The Granite Bay reviews will be out in a week, so you're probably best to wait til then. The cpu you can always swap out, so I'd go for a <$200 model and replace it with a nice HT version down the road.

jaybee

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Like everyone else is saying...hold on to your cash until near or just after christmas. Both on the AMD and Intel sides of the fence, things are looking to be all too nice then.

DTBH

Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jaybee
The Granite Bay reviews will be out in a week, so you're probably best to wait til then. The cpu you can always swap out, so I'd go for a <$200 model and replace it with a nice HT version down the road.

jaybee

the reviews will be out in a week? u sure?

Egrimm

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001

jaybee

Yeah, where do you see the official statement with Granitebey coming next week? So far the only thing annonced by Intel is the 3Ghz P4 and no mobo manufacturer has announced any GB-boards yet either so next week is not so certain.

EKAtBzboyz

Nov 1, 2002
i remember reading in the gb sticky a while back that theres an nda of some sort until nov 15ish (maybe 14...i cant remember teh exact date atm)

also that some people have already gotten the gb boards (reviewers) but cant say anything until that date

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002

jaybee

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing at the moment.....assuming the granite bay reviews will be out in a week

Originally posted by: Cerb
Like everyone else is saying...hold on to your cash until near or just after christmas. Both on the AMD and Intel sides of the fence, things are looking to be all too nice then.

The thing is that near christmas the prices go up cuz of all the hype. And although I'm going for a top of the range pc, paying more for something that's gonna come down in price in a month or two ain't something i wanna do.

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
I thought I heard that GB NDA would be lifted with the 3.06 PIV. Could be wrong... anyway, Nov 14th is the date I remember. Since GB mobos are just being announced, I assume any review would be on an Intel reference board. Here's an article supporting a November release. My guess is that the new PIV will be accompanied by an Intel GB board.

jaybee

PS News of GB mobo announcements can be found at the linked site as well.

DTBH

Apr 14, 2001
damn... can't wait for GB boards. The p4 shld benefit more from the extra bandwidth than the amd chips