Which of these five <$10k convertibles is most likely to last and be reliable? Which is the best va

Oct 30, 2004
I found a few intriguing used convertibles in my area. It might be fun to have one as a spring/summer/fall car. It would be a whimsical purchase. If you had to pick one of these five convertibles, which one is most likely to be reliable and trouble free for several years? Which is the best value?
That 2002 Camry Solara is intriguing since it's a Toyota which means it should have good build quality but man, it's pretty old. I've always wanted one. I might consider chancing it for $4000 to have as a third family vehicle But for $2700 more I could get the 2006 in a nicer color with 20,000 fewer miles and four years newer.

The 2009 Eclipse for $7450 with only 45,000 miles? It seems like a good combo of vehicle year and mileage, but I'd be gambling more money on it and who knows what Mitsubishi build quality is like. The back seats look just awful, but no one would ever be sitting back there. The front seats don't look too comfortable, either.

Then there's some dude selling a 2005 Sebring convertible with 114k miles and a salvage title for $2500, making it a lesser gamble than the Toyota in absolute dollars. (Still, I tend to think a 2002 Toyota >>> Sebring for build quality and longevity any day.)

I guess I don't find the Pontiacs to be that interesting since they're more money, but I suppose that a hardtop beats out a ragtop, especially in a northern climate.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Mitsu would be tempting, best exterior styling IMO. I think the rear seat is a custom jobby to fit the Sub in there. Whether it's the better purchase I dunno, could be a money sink.

Oct 30, 2004
This is what an unmodded rear seat would look like, at least in a non-convertible 2009 Eclipse:

8784d668eaf485a307f0ff71332.jpg

<EDIT> I went and searched for Eclipse convertible listings and apparently this is just what the back seat looks like in all of them:

ce7d5f51e8ab9df236fb431c00a.jpg

6d6a575928c47cdc044fc1418d8.jpg

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Historically, the Camry / Solara has had best-in-class reliability, but I'd still consider the Mitsu because of lower miles, nicer styling. The Toyota should be good for 2-3mpg (~10-15%) better fuel economy.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
IMO Any Toyota with regular oil changes is greater than any of your other picks.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Out of your list, the 2006 Solara should be at the top.

While its not a canyon carver, the 3.3 V6 will probably be a lot nicer to live with than that Eclipse and 4 banger combo. While the Solara does have twice the mileage, Toyota does a very good job building cars that hold up.

Sebring ....no no no no no no no no. Now go wash your hands after mentioning them.

Pontiac G6's - Will probably seem like a great car on test drive. First drive will probably blow away both the Solara and Eclipse. Won't seem like such a great car when you are drop it off at the shop for power steering issues and engine leaks and an endless stream of brake rotors .

Reactions: Ns1

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This is what an unmodded rear seat would look like, at least in a non-convertible 2009 Eclipse:

8784d668eaf485a307f0ff71332.jpg

<EDIT> I went and searched for Eclipse convertible listings and apparently this is just what the back seat looks like in all of them:

ce7d5f51e8ab9df236fb431c00a.jpg

6d6a575928c47cdc044fc1418d8.jpg

Nasty.

Oct 30, 2004
Out of your list, the 2006 Solara should be at the top.

While its not a canyon carver, the 3.3 V6 will probably be a lot nicer to live with than that Eclipse and 4 banger combo. While the Solara does have twice the mileage, Toyota does a very good job building cars that hold up.

I like that 2006 Solara, too, and it does look much better than the 2004 red one and the Eclipse, too. However it's also $2700 more making it more of a significant purchase and much less of a whimsical purchase. But damn, I really do like that one much better. It looks like it has heated seats and has better looks than the red one, though it would be nicer with the beige interior: 2006 Toyota Camry Solara, $6700 w/ 108k miles

One thing about the red 2002. I reviewed the free Carfax/Autocheck and it was a Florida car for most of its life, so perhaps it's not as old as its age suggests, at least not in terms of Minnesota old.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I like that 2006 Solara, too, and it does look much better than the 2004 red one and the Eclipse, too. However it's also $2700 more making it more of a significant purchase and much less of a whimsical purchase. But damn, I really do like that one much better. It looks like it has heated seats and has better looks than the red one, though it would be nicer with the beige interior: 2006 Toyota Camry Solara, $6700 w/ 108k miles

One thing about the red 2002. I reviewed the free Carfax/Autocheck and it was a Florida car for most of its life, so perhaps it's not as old as its age suggests, at least not in terms of Minnesota old.

One thing to consider is that the 2002 Solara is based on the 1996-2001 Camry and the 2006 Solara is based on 2002-2006 Camry.
Very different cars.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I recomended avoiding 3rd Gen MR2 due to precat issues.
3rd Gen are fun little cars but at this point I'd consider every one on the used car market a potential money pit.

Oct 30, 2004
One thing to consider is that the 2002 Solara is based on the 1996-2001 Camry and the 2006 Solara is based on 2002-2006 Camry.
Very different cars.
Is there a difference between the generations? I would assume that the newer one is nicer and more reliable.

Oct 30, 2004

Those are beautiful cars, but if I were spending that much I'd have to get a practical vehicle for all year use like a mini-SUV or hatchback. I think the price for that Mitsubishi Eclipse is as far up as I want to go, but I'm kind of smitten with that 2006 Solara, though I'm not sure I'd want to drop $6700 on a vehicle that's 10 years old with over 100k miles, but it is a Toyota and a convertible, so I might be able to justify the cost over its utility value.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
It looks like it has heated seats

Those aren't OEM heated seats, which means if I were you I'd wanna make sure they didn't make a mess of any wiring (whether related to the heating elements or not). Call me anal, but only I know what custom wiring I have going through my truck... I wouldn't automatically trust anyone else's wiring, especially without documentation.

Toyota has a hard-on for using (whole-length) harnesses tailored for different trims. Then they take and complicate things further by "subdividing" into more harnesses based on the car's options. E.g. the 2002 4Runner had something like 27 unique harnesses... nothing like GM or something. Point is, it's not a plug-and-play solution.

I assume you know the standard stuff about rust.

If everything checks out, I'd vote for the '06 Solara. Definitely looks more comfortable in the back, and probably more reliable than all the other non-Toyotas. FWIW I know a realtor who's still driving an '02 Solara with 271k miles and according to her it's still going strong.

A couple creature-comfort things I noted on the '02 (that are better than the '06):

- climate control
- JBL system (which while not great, it does have a sub... makes it easier if you wanna swap out and keep the factory wiring intact. Not sure where you mentioned it though, I only see sandorski mentioning it)
- power seat

Edit: here's a pic of the switches on an '04 (same generation as the '06)

7dfdf583-bff8-4d6a-8d9f-77e7dedabf08.jpg

Edit edit: I'm being ridiculously anal at this point, but those look like seat covers to me on the '06 (or at least not OEM leather). Not sure how pricing on these kinds of things goes, though. I'd be more concerned that the thing is tailored to break at the seams and won't interfere in the event of side airbag deployment. If they're not covers, then that they're not attached with just zip ties or something. Again, super-anal, I know.

See here (notice side airbag label difference) and here. Both OEM leather.

Not trying to discourage you, just things I've learned from having recently gutted and renovated the interior of my 4Runner. Along with doing interior stuff to other Toyotas since '95

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Those are beautiful cars, but if I were spending that much I'd have to get a practical vehicle for all year use like a mini-SUV or hatchback. I think the price for that Mitsubishi Eclipse is as far up as I want to go, but I'm kind of smitten with that 2006 Solara, though I'm not sure I'd want to drop $6700 on a vehicle that's 10 years old with over 100k miles, but it is a Toyota and a convertible, so I might be able to justify the cost over its utility value.

This is why Minnesota is apparently void of budget convertibles. :D Maybe this thread is actually a cry for help because you secretly want to move West or South to more favorable Miata country. :p

Reactions: MongGrel
Oct 30, 2004
Gee, I wonder how big of a deal the custom heated seat job is. I'd hate to get a car with an electrical issue. I suppose I should consider that Eclipse, but the Toyotas just seem so much nicer.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Those aren't OEM heated seats, which means if I were you I'd wanna make sure they didn't make a mess of any wiring (whether related to the heating elements or not). Call me anal, but only I know what custom wiring I have going through my truck... I wouldn't automatically trust anyone else's wiring, especially without documentation.

Toyota has a hard-on for using (whole-length) harnesses tailored for different trims. Then they take and complicate things further by "subdividing" into more harnesses based on the car's options. E.g. the 2002 4Runner had something like 27 unique harnesses... nothing like GM or something. Point is, it's not a plug-and-play solution.

Good eye.
The SE convertible didn't come with heated seats BUT the SLE trim did.
http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/brochures/toyota/2006-solara.pdf

From a technical standpoint the car was wired for it.
Question becomes how did heated seats from the SLE end up in the SE? In its defense, its a South Dakota car so having someone toss in heated seats is understandable UNLESS A GOOGLE SEARCH TURNS UP SALVAGE CAR !!!
https://www.salvagecarsrecords.com/records/4T1FA38P86U072006.html

(never heard of the site before. A vin search pulled this link up)

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Had two Mitsu, one of them an Eclipse. Never again. There's a reason they're going away.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
Good eye.
The SE convertible didn't come with heated seats BUT the SLE trim did.
http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/brochures/toyota/2006-solara.pdf

From a technical standpoint the car was wired for it.
Question becomes how did heated seats from the SLE end up in the SE? In its defense, its a South Dakota car so having someone toss in heated seats is understandable UNLESS A GOOGLE SEARCH TURNS UP SALVAGE CAR !!!

Salvage title aside, I highly doubt it came prewired for heated seats. If working on a few same-era Toyotas is of any indication, they only include the harnesses and connectors on the main engine harness for the top-level trim (SLE in this case). This is an SE. On my truck at least they only provided a driver's side power lead that terminated somewhere near the kick panel. Also had to add a relay they didn't include in the engine fuse box.

Even if they did there'd have to be some custom wiring in place to get the 3rd-party switches to where they are (aka not in the center dash under the head unit).

I might be wrong, but until I dig around a bit deeper I'm not betting any money on it. Maybe OP doesn't care as long as it works, iono. I lost interest as soon as you said "salvage" though.

Last edited:

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
We had a 240SX convertible, and Olds Cutlass convertible with the 3.4L DOHC, and currently have a Saab Aero convertible with the V6T.

We needed/wanted a backseat and usable trunk. That ruled out the hardtop G6, but its built on a great platform as the car was designed as a convertible and is not a chop top like the Solara. Structural rigidity is really good and is not wet noodle sloppy like others that were built as a coupe then had there tops chopped off. The 3.5L on the G6 is pretty solid engine and the low mileage looks good. Its a great driving car!

The 2nd gen Solara's are excellent cars - get a late model SLE if you can (2006+ and preferable 2007+). The interior is Lexus like in quality. Only 2 issues we know of. 1) Timing belt needs replaced at 90K miles - that will cost you $1,000 for a belt & water pump change. 2) the radios speed sensitive volume will go out. Its a cheap fix but a pain in the ass to rip out the rear seat interior to fix it.

2006+ models got a better transmission, 2007 models got restyled and more features.

Why not a Mustang V6 'vert? I'd look at these with the 4.0L V6. Pretty rock solid reliable.

Oct 30, 2004

Nice find, thanks! Of course, I would have done a Carfax or Autocheck first if I were really serious about it. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit and have lost interest in that pretty blue car. Maybe if the dealer lowered the price and depending on what the damage was. It looks like it was originally a red car that was repainted.

Oct 30, 2004
Why not a Mustang V6 'vert? I'd look at these with the 4.0L V6. Pretty rock solid reliable.

It has to be cheap and preferably not real old and preferably no more than say 125k miles and within, say, a 300 mile radius of me. The only reason I would consider the Toyota Solaras is because they are Toyotas and will probably go to over 200k.

Here's a list of convertibles in my area for under $10k sorted by lowest mileage.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...Features=buryUsedLowMileage&searchSource=SORT

There's no shortage of Sebrings and PT Cruisers, but I assume that they have poor reliability. Luxury name plates would be too expensive to insure and maintain IMHO.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Salvage title aside, I highly doubt it came prewired for heated seats. If working on a few same-era Toyotas is of any indication, they only include the harnesses and connectors on the main engine harness for the top-level trim (SLE in this case). This is an SE. On my truck at least they only provided a driver's side power lead that terminated somewhere near the kick panel. Also had to add a relay they didn't include in the engine fuse box.

Even if they did there'd have to be some custom wiring in place to get the 3rd-party switches to where they are (aka not in the center dash under the head unit).

I might be wrong, but until I dig around a bit deeper I'm not betting any money on it. Maybe OP doesn't care as long as it works, iono. I lost interest as soon as you said "salvage" though.

Just to add fuel to the (electrical) fire
http://repairpal.com/recall/16V396000