Which of these cases is best

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have a new PC to make, and three cases to pick from. It's for ASRock Z97 extreme and Intel i7.

My current info:

Antec II - very old, low end case: reason to use it is it's designed to be quiet

NZXT Phantom 350 - reason to use: looks nice
'
Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z - reason to use: supposed to be especially good quality

Would any of these not fit the MB? What reasons should I consider beside the above to pick one?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you already own these three cases? Is that why you want to pick from them? If not, why limit your selection to these three?

What form-factor is the motherboard? ATX?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yes, that's why. All bought years ago for when I'd get around to a new PC.

The MB is ATX. Hey, it was a Tom's Hardware 2014 best buy. Cough.

twelfth

Sep 10, 2015
Given all the cases are ATX compatible, I would say go for the case you like the looks of the most... everything else, how quiet it is, how many bays, etc... can always be remedied with modifications to the case. You're going to be seeing that case every time you use your computer so even the best case in the world will get tiresome if it's also the ugliest.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Given all the cases are ATX compatible, I would say go for the case you like the looks of the most... everything else, how quiet it is, how many bays, etc... can always be remedied with modifications to the case. You're going to be seeing that case every time you use your computer so even the best case in the world will get tiresome if it's also the ugliest.

I suspect I won't be seeing it a lot (turn on, leave on 24/7) and normally don't care about the look, but I did like this case and got it largely for that reason beside good reviews.

Bearmann

Sep 14, 2008
I just did a rebuild for work using my old Antec Solo. It's probably quite similar to your Sonata. It has no front USB 3 ports and no cable management to speak of, but oh do I love it's piano black finish! I'll get a USB 3 extension cord to run from the back for those infrequent times that I need USB 3. I prefer this over using a USB front panel on the front 5.25 inch bay. It has a top mounted PSU on which I keep the fan always running to prevent a short circuit of air backwards through the PSU and out the rear fan. I was thinking about replacing the Intel heatsink on the i3 6100 which was irritating at home, but proved inaudible over the central air at work. Anyway, it's a beautiful case and I didn't have to sacrifice much to rebuild in it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Glad you like it. I'm not sure what use I'll find for the Sonata - I got it it seems like a decade ago when I was wanting a quiet case (see my 'my PC seems like it gave me Tinnitis' thread in OT).