Which of these 2 processors are much better for a laptop?

graham67r

Sep 21, 2017
Hi, I need some advice. I want to get a laptop. I was looking particularly at the processors in each. One
is an Acer laptop with an Intel celeron N3350 duo core processor which has a speed of 1.1 Ghz with a boost
to 2.4 Ghz, whilst the other is a HP laptop with an AMD Quad-Core E2-7110 processor with a speed of 1.8
GHz. I will only be using the laptop for watching films online, surfing the net and using Microsoft
office. Can I ask, if the specs and price of the laptop are pretty much the same apart from the processor,
which one would you buy. (i.e which is the better processor for speed and use in the long run)

Thank you.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
According to passmark, the AMD has around double the performance of the Celeron. Based on your usage, I don't know that it really makes a difference though, and the Celeron probably has better battery life.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
If you're going with the Celeron, I'd definitely get the N3450 instead. Same power envelope, but essentially double the performance.

graham67r

Sep 21, 2017
I will be using it nearly always at home (instead of desktop) so I can put in the cupboard when not needed. Battery life isn't a huge factor. I just wanted a laptop which will boot up quickly and will not be slow when watching films online or when browsing the net. From what would said, am I right, you would recommend the AMD Quad-Core E2-7110 processor out of the two?? Would the difference of speed of the processors be that much noticeable when using the laptop for the above uses? Whenever I look at reviews of laptops, there are always customers complaining about laptops being slow when using them, which is why I wanted to ask here, on which one would be the more speedier in performance and reliable out of the two. As these two laptops are on special offer, the choice will be be between these two (processors).

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I will be using it nearly always at home (instead of desktop) so I can put in the cupboard when not needed. Battery life isn't a huge factor. I just wanted a laptop which will boot up quickly and will not be slow when watching films online or when browsing the net. From what would said, am I right, you would recommend the AMD Quad-Core E2-7110 processor out of the two?? Would the difference of speed of the processors be that much noticeable when using the laptop for the above uses?
The AMD is faster. The biggest difference you could make to either of them would be an SSD. If the laptop comes with 2 ram slots, make sure both are filled. It makes a big difference.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The AMD is single channel ram only, though. That will hamper it in the graphics area. Overall, I cannot really tell which would feel faster in everyday use.
I suspect that despite it's 4 cores, the AMD Carrizo chip will not be noticeably different than the Celeron in everyday use.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
The AMD is faster. The biggest difference you could make to either of them would be an SSD. If the laptop comes with 2 ram slots, make sure both are filled. It makes a big difference.
FYI, this sku is a part of Carrizo-L apu family that only support single channel memory. And also if the price close enough, you may consider a8-7410. It's the fastest you can get from the family.

As far as day to day experience, I can tell you that this apu is comparable to the early Core2Quad dekstop cpu. So, it's not that shabby. Give it a cheap SSD, and it'll run like a puma (pun intended).

graham67r

Sep 21, 2017
Both laptops will have 4GB RAM. The Acer laptop has an Intel celeron N3350, and will have a 1TB hard drive and Intel HD graphics 500. The HP laptop will have an AMD Quad-Core E2-7110 processor, 500GB hard drive and AMD Radeon™ R2 Graphics.
I will nowhere near be using the amounts given on the hard drive, so the hard drive difference wouldn't be a factor. The speed of the laptop will be the most important here (and if the graphics card too is a factor). So it seems the AMD might be the better from the comments.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I would suggest you replace the hard drive (likely a slow 5400 RPM) with a 128GB SSD right away if speed and responsiveness is of importance for you.
I agree, as the slow HDD on my notebook is driving me nuts.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
What are the two specific models of laptop that you are looking at? We might be able to help find something that is better value :)

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
according to my Google skills the E2 is far better, it should, dual core Atom based thing vs quad core Jaguar cores and the clock difference is not massive, the Celeron will probably be a little better for ST, but it's 2c vs 4c in the end
but if possible buy at least an i3.

Reactions: whm1974