Which of the Presidential Candidates is Best Able to Understand What our troops are Facing Abroad

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Well, obvious answer would be Clark or Kerry since they are the only two who have been in combat.

As for who is best to handle the mess we're in, well, I'm still deciding on that one.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Bush can't even form complete sentences and someone here voted for him understanding what our troops are facing? Riiiiight...

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar
I understand if people voted for Clark or Kerry, but why Bush?

Because some people like to base their vote soley on political party, regardless of who the actual candidate is.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: kage69
Bush can't even form complete sentences and someone here voted for him understanding what our troops are facing? Riiiiight...

That sort of crack is unneccessary and precludes serious discussion.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Would someone who voted for the president please sound off and explain why?? Thanks.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd say the larger truth is that none of these candidates, or almost any of us, can really know what they are facing.

I think we expect too much of them, but being who they are they hang in there.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I'd agree with Parrot. None of them understand.

Bush was in the military ages ago. So was Kerry, and he was in a totally different kind of war, a totally different military and a totally different attitude in the states.
Clark was very insulated, and he isn't well respected by the common military. Dean and Edwards? Heh.

Maybe, just maybe, Clark is more in touch than the rest, but I doubt it.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
He saw his version with his own eyes.
At the time I'm sure it was startling.

Boredom - with shrieking fits of terror in between boredoms.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
As someone who was actually served in a politically motivated war with shaky justification and no clear exit strategy, instead of starting one, I think Kerry is best able to understand what the troops are facing abroad.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Unless of course by President Bush you mean President George Herbert Walker Bush 41, who probably understands pretty well too.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Clark and Kerry were the only ones ever to have been in combat. That should preclude votes for any of the other candidates.

Kerry served in Vietnam, and was lightly injured three times. He returned home before his tour of duty was complete because the regulations allowed this. After the war, Kerry protested against it in Washington, and eventually moved into politics.

Clark was shot four times in an ambush in Vietnam. Despite his injuries, he remained in command of his troops, who successfully engaged the enemy and drove them away. Clark went home on a stretcher. He had to teach himself to walk again. He remained in the military, rising in rank. He became a four star general. He was supreme allied commander of NATO. He led the war in Kosovo, which involved coordinating with foreign leaders. In one instance, Clark was travelling in a convoy when an APC fell off a cliff. At night and under gunfire, Clark rappeled down the mountainside in an attempt to aid the three passengers in the vehicle at great personal risk to himself.

Kerry served well, but the answer to your question is Clark.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Clark and Kerry were the only ones ever to have been in combat. That should preclude votes for any of the other candidates.
Whaaat???
I got news for ya buddy..that's not what the Constitution says..
besides, what about your buddy Clinton..he was blowin weed over in England while he was protesting the war....and he decided not to honor his obligation to the military by backing out of his promise to join the reserves, in exchange for a draft deferment...didn't "preclude" other liberals for voting for Clinton over two war veterans with impresive records, Bush 1, and Dole. I'm pretty sure the only "combat" Gore every saw was with the wife...

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

Whaaat???
besides, what about your buddy Clinton..he was blowin weed over in England while he was protesting the war....and he decided not to honor his obligation to the military by backing out of his promise to join the reserves, in exchange for a draft deferment...didn't "preclude" other liberals for voting for Clinton over two war veterans with impresive records, Bush 1, and Dole. I'm pretty sure the only "combat" Gore every saw was with the wife...

A vote in this poll.

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
Whaaat???

Clinton was a freakin Rhodes Scholar. Good enough reason to not go fight in a war, IMO.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
anyone of those 7 now could explain why you voted for bush?

The republican party has been strong on defense and tried to make sure the military gets what it needs. The democratic party for the most part has tried the deny military funding. Bush has raised military pay and made sure the military is funded.

Kerry on the other hand has voted against many military spending packages for new systems and modernization of old ones. He also voted against that $87 billion to take care of those in Iraq and Afghaninstan right now.

Not that hard to figure out.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: mfs378
Kerry served well, but the answer to your question is Clark.

I agree with that. I didnt know some of that stuff you posted about Clark though. I knew he was wounded in Vietnam, but I didnt know about that story in Kosovo.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This Poll is weighted to the obvious, Clark or Kerry. Bush can barely prove that he fulfilled his obligations in the National Guard, nevermind know what someone in a war is going through.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Understanding: First, General Clark then Senator Kerry in that order. Why? General Clark was an infantryman involved with similar extended combat operations. No further explanation is necessary - period.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: burnedout
Understanding: First, General Clark then Senator Kerry in that order. Why? General Clark was an infantryman involved with similar extended combat operations. No further explanation is necessary - period.
I agree. Only the most fawning partisan hack could believe Bush understands the troops better than the two men on the list that actually served. Period.