Which of the following would piss ATOT's religous off the most if it happened to come true?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Amorphus
If you understand Christian theology, you would understand why I know full well that none of those are of any concern to me. If any of those actually happened (with the exception of gays and evolution teachers, but only in a special circumstance which I don't really want to go into detail of), it would be a fallacy.

1) Jesus was born to a Jew, of Jewish heritage, in Jew lands.
2) One can understand why I dismiss this as a possibility.
3) God has no gender. we only use the male pronoun because it's much easier to associate power/father figure with a man. :)
4) Flamebait in this atheist liberal forum. I pass.
5) See #2
6) Why would it make me PO'd?
7) See #4
8) See #6

This thread wasn't designed with you in mind.
1. Reasonable that he could have at least been semi-dark considering the location
2. Christians are notorious for hating islam. Not all Christians 700 CLub christians.
3. Just hypothetical, maybe expose some sexism.
4. There aren't religous people that don't like gays? I'm actually a liberaterian prob vote for Bush actually
5. Very understanding God?
6. There are people that put priests above regualr people.
7. To me a teacher is one of the better things that you could do with your life.
8. same as 6

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: matt426malm
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Can we do gays next, please?

That is *so* begging for a comeback!

Fine, just don't do it in my thread! :)

"Why don't we do it in the road?"

;)

Aummm, who is this we that keeps on getting refered to? :)

;)
rose.gif
:wine: :music: :p

more like ;)
rose.gif
:wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :beer: :beer: :beer: :music: :p

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
2. Christians are notorious for hating islam. Not all Christians 700 CLub christians.

?????
:Q

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

?????
:Q

2. Would be applicable to some (sorry) very conservative christians
700 Club - Show with Pat Robertson (world's biggest idiot) I think he has been quoted saying "Islam is inherently evil"

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
NOW WITH POLL!
Did someone say "poll"? Ok, here you go...

Approx. 90% of the US population believes in God - Two dozen or more Harris Polls without exception

Approx. 90% of the US population believes in God - Two dozen or more Gallup Polls without exception

45% of scientists with advanced degrees in natural and physical sciences believe that God created the Universe ("Theistic Evolution") compared with 55% who believe in non-divine or non-theologic origins of the Universe (Natural Evoluation/Big Bang/etc) - Gallup 1997

According to a January 2003 Harris Poll (and perfectly consistent with more than a dozen other similar polls by Harris, Gallup, Pew, et. al):
The 90 percent of adults who believe in God include 93 percent of women, 96 percent of blacks and 93 percent of Republicans but only 86 percent of men, 85 percent of those with postgraduate degrees, and 87 percent of political independents.

The 84 percent of those who believe in the survival of the soul after death include 89 percent of women but only 78 percent of men, 86 percent of those without a college degree but only 78 percent of those with postgraduate degrees.

The 84 percent of the public who believe in miracles falls to 72 percent among those with postgraduate degrees and rises to 90 percent among women and 90 percent among blacks.

The 82 percent who believe in heaven includes 89 percent of women but only 75 percent of men and falls to 71 percent among...those with postgraduate degrees.

80% of Americans who profess any kind of religious faith identify their faith as Christian in orientation.
According to Greeley (University of Chicago) and Hout (UC Berkeley), a greater percentage of Americans today believe that a 'soul' or 'spirit' passes on to an after-life than 30 years ago (American Journal of Sociological Review)

And last but certainly not least, the far-left Atheist organization People for the American Way (PFAW) reports Public Wants Evolution, Not Creationsim, in Science Class, New National Poll Shows. Except, a review of the actual poll data by the New York Times and the Associated Press found that the self-described "watchdog of the Religious Right" cooked the numbers on its own poll.

The New York Times and Associated Press review found the poll results actually show that 79 percent of Americans believe creationism has a place in public school curriculum.

It would appear that the 'watchdog' needs some watching of its own.

There's some polls fer ya.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: tcsenter

The New York Times and Associated Press review found the poll results actually show that 79 percent of Americans believe creationism has a place in public school curriculum.

oi, america is going down the crapper then.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Oh yes, these numbers are a very recent development in the United States.
rolleye.gif

Nature on Wednesday found that only 40 percent of US scientists believe in God. source - Catholic World News (probably couple years old)

The creationism yeah that one really gets me. One could use the argument of equal representation from both parties but does that apply to all science? I just find natural selection so elegant, apparently I'm outnumbered.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Why should any of those options upset a true Christian? Judgement belongs to God.

Methinks you just want those options to "piss off" religious people so that you can further your own negative stereotype.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Can we do gays next, please?

That is *so* begging for a comeback!

Fine, just don't do it in my thread! :)

"Why don't we do it in the road?"

;)

Aummm, who is this we that keeps on getting refered to? :)

Pet Gerbil? :D

Sysadmin

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Why should any of those options upset a true Christian? Judgement belongs to God.

Methinks you just want those options to "piss off" religious people so that you can further your own negative stereotype.

Too bad there are so few true christians; the rest just sin their way to hell, think that confession is going to save their ass, sin again and again, then preach to other people to feel righteous.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You mean Islam isnt the true religion?! i mean u get 70 virgins and all that!!! can other religions match that, huh?

so what if the guy we celebrate 12/25 on is black? there are lots of black santas in malls.

hows about God being a woman, and gay? :) :D

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003

This isn't just for Christians. Never said they represent a true Christian. If you are as you claim a true religon I respect that totally. I have enormus amount of respect for Buhdism especially. Can't say that racism, sexism, favoritism have been disguied behind religon. I could have called religous people stupid or requring a crutch, that is not what I did. The purpose of this post was to talk about those not so good parts of religon.

In my opinion this was just as if not more civil than the "do you hate little atheists" thread this was meant to counter. (minus a little gayism, because I know one will call me on that if I don't say it now)

I even suggested someone make a thread that is the exact opposite of this one in my intro post.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000

^^Best response you could have in a thread like this.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
rolleye.gif

Nature on Wednesday found that only 40 percent of US scientists believe in God. source - Catholic World News (probably couple years old)

The creationism yeah that one really gets me. One could use the argument of equal representation from both parties but does that apply to all science? I just find natural selection so elegant, apparently I'm outnumbered.
A fundamental tenet of all science is equal consideration and discussion of competing or alternative principal hypothesis or explanations.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
rolleye.gif

A fundamental tenet of all science is equal consideration and discussion of competing or alternative principal hypothesis or explanations.

I agree, I in no way would ever try to keep religon away from anyone. That would not be science. Discussion is key to develpoing, reinforcing and keeping your ideas open to other people's ideas. A sound arguement doesn't require defense it defends itself. Then again I would rather get into evolution in more depth. I'm not angry just dissapointed.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Given that Creationism is wholly part of religious dogma, it most certainly does NOT belong in public school. If it belongs in school at all, it belongs in classes that specifically teach religion.

I would vote for #2 (Islam). It means that all those Christians would suddenly realize that everything they believed in was a lie. All other options are compatible with the basic tenets of Christianity.. (except perhaps for the Atheist option)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Given that Creationism is wholly part of religious dogma, it most certainly does NOT belong in public school. If it belongs in school at all, it belongs in classes that specifically teach religion.

Hear, hear!! :beer::D:beer: