Which Nokia phone can change your phone settings automatically based on location?

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Hello all,

I read a posting before about a Nokia phone that is able to set the phone to auto-vibrate when it knows its in a movie theater. I think it does this automatically without any user intervention. Does anyone know the phone model? It can't be the 5160 because the Nokia site mentions it will be released in later 2004.

Thanks!

bbrontosaurus

Oct 25, 2002
The Nokia 3650 will do this....actually, I think any phone that is symbian capable will be able to do this.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: bbrontosaurus
The Nokia 3650 will do this....actually, I think any phone that is symbian capable will be able to do this.

even non symbian nokia phones have autonetwork selection. i think all of them these days will do that. are you talking about network selection?

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Wow. When I entered this thread, I was thinking things like network, frequency, automatic clock update... :p I had no idea they made phones now that could tell when they're in a movie theatre. How's that work?

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Wow. When I entered this thread, I was thinking things like network, frequency, automatic clock update... :p I had no idea they made phones now that could tell when they're in a movie theatre. How's that work?

when i was visiting India, the phones there tell you in real time, while you are driving the city the neighborhood you're in. I think there are probably some sort of boxes setup up around the city to tell you where you're at. When you mention the theater, there probably is a box setup that tells your phone that.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
I'm actually curious as to how it works. I don't think it uses GPS because to my knowledge, the only Nokia phone with GPS capability is coming out later this year.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: MaxFusion16
it gets the location info from the local cellphone tower, simple

how would it know if you were in a theater though? i'm thinking something must be in the theater to tell it that.

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab

how would it know if you were in a theater though? i'm thinking something must be in the theater to tell it that.

you have to program it to know it's the theater, for example, when you are at the theater you just tell your phone that you are in the theater, then it'll associate that with the tower it's connected with.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab

you have to program it to know it's the theater, for example, when you are at the theater you just tell your phone that you are in the theater, then it'll associate that with the tower it's connected with.
But wouldn't one tower cover a MUCH wider area than just a movie theater? What if you were standing outside of the theater? I doubt there's any way for a phone to "know" that from the location of the tower its communicating with.