Which Morality trumps the other.. *Which system of Morals is most important to you

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Some people try to claim that the actions of past generations are to be looked at through the lens of social morality... ie. what was acceptable at the time..

I say humanity is in grave danger when they do not search their collective souls and hearts as individuals to see if what they are doing is truly moral on an INDIVIDUAL LEVEL.

*The questions about slavery are what caused me to post this..

Slavery
Witch Trials
Inquisition
Colonize, Civilize, and Christianize the native americans
etc etc ^^^ dangerous times not dictated by Individual Morals

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
Some people try to claim that the actions of past generations are to be looked at through the lens of social morality... ie. what was acceptable at the time..

I say humanity is in grave danger when they do not search their collective souls and hearts as individuals to see if what they are doing is truly moral on an INDIVIDUAL LEVEL.

*The questions about slavery are what caused me to post this..

Slavery
Witch Trials
Inquisition
Colonize, Civilize, and Christianize the native americans
etc etc ^^^ dangerous times not dictated by Individual Morals
First of all, if you are assuming I believe slavery was "ok" because it was accepted at the time, you need to get your ass back to that thread and discuss that a bit more, as no one there was arguing that at all. I said is was often accepted, not acceptable, which is a huge difference.

Back on topic, what about anti-abortion protestors? They are probably 'searching their hearts and soles' and coming to the conclusion that abortion is wrong and should be stopped, whether via protesting or legislature. Do you give them a free pass on their moral decisions? What about neo-nazis whose morals tell them their race is superior to other? Terrorists whose morals tell them car-bombing are morally ok, as the ends will justify the means?

The whole point is, there is no "right vs wrong" when it comes to individual morals. There are vasts seas of grey between the white and black extremes. Our only recourse is to come to a general consensus on morality and proceed from there.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I promise you... I knew you were not accepting slavery or even saying it was acceptable... You were stating historical fact... It was a fact that a majority felt it was ok to enslave and dehumanize and brutalize other homo-sapiens ...

Proletariat

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: TStep
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Originally posted by: TStep
How's the golden rule go?
He who has the most gold, rules?
Your interpretation is probably more valid than the original intent.;)

Not really. Who has the least rules. Overall Europe and Northern Asia (Mongolia) have the least resources and these are the places that rule. The barbaric quest for others resources is what created the modern world.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I don't think there is a difference between my religious and personal/individual moral beliefs.