Which MONITOR should I use ?

Dunhil79

Nov 5, 2013

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
Ok, so wait, you bought a new monitor and you're not sure it is better than the one you have now? Why did you buy it if it wasn't better than what you already had?

Dunhil79

Nov 5, 2013
I didn't bought it..I got it as a present from my boss....and please do tell me which is the best deal for both monitor.....as I already try using both and I see every monitor got the function that I like but I'm not sure which one to choose..example...my current SAMSUNG monitor look more bright but the HP I can see it's more sharp on font and picture...and I only want to use only single monitor as my desk is not sufficient enough space to put 2 monitor...

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Its the difference between TN and IPS. What do you use the monitor for? The HP is the nicer monitor, its just a little slower than the Samsung, but depending on what you do you might not event notice.

Dunhil79

Nov 5, 2013
Hi Childs...i'm using mostly for watching movies and office work..rarely for gaming,but sometimes playing SC2 or crysis3 or Metro if got really extra times...but yeah mostly work office using word.excel...then watching movies or hearing songs..that's all...Is it better using HP than SAMSUNG from your opinion?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Hi Childs...i'm using mostly for watching movies and office work..rarely for gaming,but sometimes playing SC2 or crysis3 or Metro if got really extra times...but yeah mostly work office using word.excel...then watching movies or hearing songs..that's all...Is it better using HP than SAMSUNG from your opinion?

In my opinion yes. Some people like the brightness of TN panels, and they are slightly faster, but for most of the stuff I dont think it will matter. The better color on the HP means everything will look richer. Even if you were heavy into gaming, I would still suggest the HP. These days only super competitive try hard gamers might pick a TN over an IPS. Usually cost is the only reason people still buy TN based monitors. In your case, you got the Hp for free, so its an easy decision. Especially when you also consider the aesthetics...the HP clearly wins there as well.

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
In my opinion yes. Some people like the brightness of TN panels, and they are slightly faster, but for most of the stuff I dont think it will matter. The better color on the HP means everything will look richer. Even if you were heavy into gaming, I would still suggest the HP. These days only super competitive try hard gamers might pick a TN over an IPS. Usually cost is the only reason people still buy TN based monitors. In your case, you got the Hp for free, so its an easy decision. Especially when you also consider the aesthetics...the HP clearly wins there as well.

This is very misleading. Your statement about only super competitive tryhard gamers is not only wrong, it's insulting. IPS panels are garbage for gaming and if the OP is going to play games a decent amount (at least 5-10 hours a week) I would never recommend an IPS monitor. The lag is awful, incredibly noticable and not worth the improved picture.

With that being said, if the OP rarely games (an hour or two a week) and spends 4 hours a day watching movies, browsing the web and doing office tasks...THEN an IPS panel is clearly superior. IPS panels are brighter (not sure where you got that a TN is brighter), they have (except for e-ips) better colors, better viewing angles and often are higher resolution.

The OP has to decide what he wants most out of this monitor. No one else can make up his mind and monitors are completely subjective. There is no checklist of features that makes one monitor superior to the other. Until there is a 120hz full IPS, zero lag 2560x1600 monitor for $400 or less there is no clear winner.

Simple choice: gaming = TN, productivity = IPS. Don't mix the two, don't tell me TN is ok for photo editing, don't tell me IPS is ok for gaming. Neither is true. You can do either on both monitors but one option is worlds better, there is no middle ground. 30MS or more of input lag is SEVERE, not minor, not un-noticable. If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be making recommendations because you're un-informed.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
This is very misleading. Your statement about only super competitive tryhard gamers is not only wrong, it's insulting. IPS panels are garbage for gaming and if the OP is going to play games a decent amount (at least 5-10 hours a week) I would never recommend an IPS monitor. The lag is awful, incredibly noticable and not worth the improved picture.

Simple choice: gaming = TN, productivity = IPS. Don't mix the two, don't tell me TN is ok for photo editing, don't tell me IPS is ok for gaming. Neither is true. You can do either on both monitors but one option is worlds better, there is no middle ground. 30MS or more of input lag is SEVERE, not minor, not un-noticable. If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be making recommendations because you're un-informed.

Its not misleading. We are talking about an IPS monitor he already has, for free. Most gamers with high end rigs are moving towards 1440p and 1600p. Saying that IPS garbage and its an either/or scenario is ridiculous. He stated he rarely plays games, but occasionally does, and the monitor will mostly for movies and office work. You should learn to read a thread before criticizing a recommendation. Are you one of those guys that says you need a mechanical keyboard or 10K dpi mouse to open a spreadsheet? Most people's lives dont revolve around games.

Last edited:

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
Its not misleading. We are talking about an IPS monitor he already has, for free. Most gamers with high end rigs are moving towards 1440p and 1600p. Saying that IPS garbage and its an either/or scenario is ridiculous. He stated he rarely plays games, but occasionally does, and the monitor will mostly for movies and office work. You should learn to read a thread before criticizing a recommendation. Are you one of those guys that says you need a mechanical keyboard or 10K dpi mouse to open a spreadsheet? Most people's lives dont revolve around games.

LOL. That's priceless "most gamers with high end rigs are moving towards 1440p and 1600p". Really? First of all, let's stop with the subjective BS statements. There have been recent numbers posted from reputable sources showing what resolutions people are playing in and above 1080p makes up a fraction of a percent of gamers. 1080p is still the biggest growing segment by a landslide but a shockingly large number of people are still below 1080p.

Secondly, you're still providing a completely unfounded recommendation based on a vague statement *without* clarification from the OP. He said he "rarely" games. What is rarely? Is it once a week? Twice a month? An hour per sitting? The OP has not provided enough information for an accurate, meaningful recommendation. I very clearly stated that if the OP games for an hour or two a week (or less) an IPS is fine, even superior for certain tasks. However, spreadsheets, word processing and videos aren't going to be any better by a significant margin on an IPS than a TN panel either. Movies don't run in higher resolutions, neither does Youtube, Netflix or any other streaming service. 1440p is ONLY good for picture/video editing, 3d modeling and screen size UNLESS you game or do something that takes advantage of the resolution.

Thirdly, the type of gaming matters. The games the OP mentioned specifically are a mix of single and multiplayer games. The general opinion of "gamers" is this: If you single player game, story mode, Skyrim, Crysis, etc...IPS is great in 1440p or higher. You won't notice the input lag as much because you aren't facing against other players and it really doesn't matter against a computer. However, if you play SCII, LoL, CoD or any of the other multiplayer games (which are also faster paced) not only will you not notice the higher resolution as much, but you WILL notice the input lag.

If you don't want people criticizing your opinions, then don't post subjective opinions to someone who obviously isn't very well-informed. You can also quit trying to belittle me with your ignorant comments too, this has nothing to do with mechanical keyboards or high dpi mice. Those have their place and also have quantifiable benefits for certain applications just like different monitor panels.

So again, OP: You need to make your own decision based on how much you actually use your monitor for various tasks. Without more information we can't help you.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we also don't know what kind of system the OP is running. He may not even be capable of comfortably running his applications or games in a higher resolution. If you run a 1440p native monitor in 1080p you're not only going to defeat the purpose but introduce scaler lag on top of input lag.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
LOL. That's priceless "most gamers with high end rigs are moving towards 1440p and 1600p". Really? First of all, let's stop with the subjective BS statements. There have been recent numbers posted from reputable sources showing what resolutions people are playing in and above 1080p makes up a fraction of a percent of gamers. 1080p is still the biggest growing segment by a landslide but a shockingly large number of people are still below 1080p.

Give me a source on that, and then cross that with the hardware they are running. Show me some data that gamers with high end rigs and running below 1080p and I'll concede that.

Secondly, you're still providing a completely unfounded recommendation based on a vague statement *without* clarification from the OP. He said he "rarely" games. What is rarely? Is it once a week? Twice a month? An hour per sitting? The OP has not provided enough information for an accurate, meaningful recommendation. I very clearly stated that if the OP games for an hour or two a week (or less) an IPS is fine, even superior for certain tasks. However, spreadsheets, word processing and videos aren't going to be any better by a significant margin on an IPS than a TN panel either. Movies don't run in higher resolutions, neither does Youtube, Netflix or any other streaming service. 1440p is ONLY good for picture/video editing, 3d modeling and screen size UNLESS you game or do something that takes advantage of the resolution.

Maybe you dont know what rarely means. In the simplest sense, he does everything else much much more than he does playing games. And if you bothered to actually look at the specs for the monitor he has, its an IPS 1080p.

Thirdly, the type of gaming matters. The games the OP mentioned specifically are a mix of single and multiplayer games. The general opinion of "gamers" is this: If you single player game, story mode, Skyrim, Crysis, etc...IPS is great in 1440p or higher. You won't notice the input lag as much because you aren't facing against other players and it really doesn't matter against a computer. However, if you play SCII, LoL, CoD or any of the other multiplayer games (which are also faster paced) not only will you not notice the higher resolution as much, but you WILL notice the input lag.

Again with the reading fail. I will just add that I have friends who play nothing but SC2 on Macs that have IPS panels. Probably 10+ hours a week, both single and multiplayer, and an IPS panel isnt a dealbreaker. And I admit I dont think someone who rarely plays games would play SC2 multiplayer, especially considering he also listed Metro and Crysis, which are mainly singleplayer games, but given what he said its a reasonable assumption to make. But you seem to be fine adding games he didn't list, in scenarios he didn't specify. If it was important to him he probably would have mentioned it.

If you don't want people criticizing your opinions, then don't post subjective opinions to someone who obviously isn't very well-informed. You can also quit trying to belittle me with your ignorant comments too, this has nothing to do with mechanical keyboards or high dpi mice. Those have their place and also have quantifiable benefits for certain applications just like different monitor panels.

So again, OP: You need to make your own decision based on how much you actually use your monitor for various tasks. Without more information we can't help you.

Do you know even what an opinion is? They are subjective in nature, based on the available information, but not necessarily. Mine is based on what the OP listed in this thread. I have no problem with people criticizing my opinions, especially if its something I hadn't considered, but you didn't specify anything that wasn't already factored in. In fact, you didnt say anything that I didnt already said before you posted. For some reason you got butthurt over the super competitive tryhard gamer remark. Just say I hurt your feelings and ask for an apology, even though I apparently was correct.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we also don't know what kind of system the OP is running. He may not even be capable of comfortably running his applications or games in a higher resolution. If you run a 1440p native monitor in 1080p you're not only going to defeat the purpose but introduce scaler lag on top of input lag.

Its not 1440p. Look at the first post and click on the second link to see what we were actually talking about.

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
This thread is weird. IPS screens are fine for competitive MP gaming. I certainly wouldn't use one if I was a pro player and my living depended on it, but realistically tens or hundreds of thousands of people game seriously on IPS displays each day.

Let's have a sense of perspective - Anandtech forum members are a niche of a niche. Aithos is absolutely correct that surveys of gamers as a whole show people playing on hopelessly antiquated hardware by our standards, but that cuts both ways. Similar surveys would show millions of office professionals that could benefit from IPS displays staring at budget TNs. The reality is a TN panel is cheaper and good enough at accurately displaying content that 95% of the population has no idea there's even another type of LCD display. Likewise IPS displays are better for general use and competent enough at gaming that most serious but not professional gamers who are willing to invest in high-end PC gear in the first place opt for them. Both buying an IPS or buying a TN alongside a $1,000+ gaming PC are fringe decisions, but IMHO on the margin the gaming sacrifice while on IPS is less than the quality sacrifice on a TN, and I think the market bears that out.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
This thread is weird. IPS screens are fine for competitive MP gaming. I certainly wouldn't use one if I was a pro player and my living depended on it, but realistically tens or hundreds of thousands of people game seriously on IPS displays each day.

Let's have a sense of perspective - Anandtech forum members are a niche of a niche. Aithos is absolutely correct that surveys of gamers as a whole show people playing on hopelessly antiquated hardware by our standards, but that cuts both ways. Similar surveys would show millions of office professionals that could benefit from IPS displays staring at budget TNs. The reality is a TN panel is cheaper and good enough at accurately displaying content that 95% of the population has no idea there's even another type of LCD display. Likewise IPS displays are better for general use and competent enough at gaming that most serious but not professional gamers who are willing to invest in high-end PC gear in the first place opt for them. Both buying an IPS or buying a TN alongside a $1,000+ gaming PC are fringe decisions, but IMHO on the margin the gaming sacrifice while on IPS is less than the quality sacrifice on a TN, and I think the market bears that out.

Now factor in that the OP has both, and is deciding which one to keep. Then consider the usage pattern he listed. What would you suggest for the OP?

atticus14

Apr 11, 2010
The IPS monitor he linked is 1080p

--------------

@Dunhil79

Since you have both monitors, your probably the best person to decide. The HP should look better and play games just fine - but if I was overly worried about lag, test it out for a week or two to make sure it's fine. Most IPS monitors these days are more then good enough to play games on and if you die you can always blame it on your monitor.

Dunhil79

Nov 5, 2013
1st of all...Thanks for the information guys....all your comment and opinion really make me have to think back from scratch...now I have to test 1 by 1 for all the application I usually do in my PC. It may gonna take some times but I will try base on all your opinion. Thanks guys about giving me very2 good tips regarding MONITOR and I really do appreciate it as I am lacking knowledge regarding monitor. Maybe a bit on PC's but not on monitor. And for your information about my PC here are the list

I5 3570K
Asus P8Z77-V-Pro
Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II
Corsair Dominator 8GB X2 = 16GB 1866 mhz
CM Hyper 212X
SSD Intel 330 120GB X2 = Raid 0 ( Windows 7 Pro )
2TB HDD X4 ( For Movies )
CM Haf 932
CM 600W Silent Pro
Z906 ( SPDIF Connection )
Asus Blue ray
Logitech Combo K330

Last edited: