Question which mobo for Ryzen 9 5950x

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Which mobo can I get now to be compatible with Ryzen 9 5950X?

I am looking to get ASRock AM4/X570M

Do I have to wait for their UEFI update to make it compatible first?

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
AFAIK, there is no new chipset for this. 570 will have to do.

Anybody?
It all comes down to budget. I haven't had any issues with my x570 asus tuf gaming. However, some folks spend hundreds of dollars more. It all comes down to need I guess.

MTEK-X101

Oct 13, 2020

Along those lines, say a motherboard manufacturer releases a BIOS update to AGESA version 1.0.8.0 (minimum version to boot Zen 3). How will I know whether the one I'm buying at retail has this update? If it doesn't, my understanding is that I have to then go through AMD's Processor Loan Boot Kit program-- which, let's be honest, is nice of them but would be super annoying for many customers.

I was hoping manufacturers would release a refresh (V2) of their existing X570 lineups, but I'm not seeing any rumors of this.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Along those lines, say a motherboard manufacturer releases a BIOS update to AGESA version 1.0.8.0 (minimum version to boot Zen 3). How will I know whether the one I'm buying at retail has this update? If it doesn't, my understanding is that I have to then go through AMD's Processor Loan Boot Kit program-- which, let's be honest, is nice of them but would be super annoying for many customers.

I was hoping manufacturers would release a refresh (V2) of their existing X570 lineups, but I'm not seeing any rumors of this.

You can't really know before you buy a board whether it will have the needed BIOS version. However, most B550 and X570 motherboards have a BIOS flash button that lets you flash BIOS with a naked board. Only the power cables need to be connected.

Of course you should check that the board has this feature before you buy. MSI and Gigabyte seem to put this on a lot of their recent boards, I'm less sure of the other mfrs.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Im going for the Newer Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Im going to assume since its getting released with the 5000 series the initial bios will already have support for the new cpus.

Reactions: alexbirdie0

alexbirdie0

Feb 19, 2020
Im going for the Newer Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Im going to assume since its getting released with the 5000 series the initial bios will already have support for the new cpus.
My son and me do have asus crosshair viii hero wifi with 3950x since January. Running perfectly smooth and cool, not even one issue up to now. The newer dark hero will even be better, I suppose ( better VRMs). But no active chipset-cooler, therefore supposed to be hotter ( Asus sais only about 2.5 % more than our board).

Therefore: very recommendable :).

Reactions: bigi

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
FYI. Just noticed on ASrock website that their "BIOS" v3.0 supports 5K series AMD CPUs with current 570 mobos.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
My son and me do have asus crosshair viii hero wifi with 3950x since January. Running perfectly smooth and cool, not even one issue up to now. The newer dark hero will even be better, I suppose ( better VRMs). But no active chipset-cooler, therefore supposed to be hotter ( Asus sais only about 2.5 % more than our board).

Therefore: very recommendable :).
Yes someone had a Crosshair VIII Hero wifi and sold it thinking there would be a x670. After it was sold found out there isnt going to be an x670. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Makaveli

senor poopy

Oct 15, 2020

I have an asrock and an MSI board. I have tried a few other X570 boards and my favorite, without being top of the line, cost less than $400 (I know but wait) is the MSI Meg Ace x570. This board is amazing. By turning a knob on the mobo or in the bios with one click you can overclock to amazing speeds.

I am running a Ryzen 5 3600xt. This chip is mfast at 3.8GHz, with one click I overclock my chip and ram. The chip to 4.6GHz. teamed with 32 Gig of 3200 ram and a Gigabyte 1660 super oc 3x video I run Diablo 3 at 240 fps and Call Of Duty at 140 fps both with the graphics turned up all the way.

With a stock cooler I can run at 4.6 GHz and stay under 75C. Also the mobo dissipates heat with its own chipset fan. Not to mention the board is pretty, has great LEDs, 3 m.2 slots PCIe 4.0, SLI ready, etc etc etc Good luck

Reactions: Shmee and bigi

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
Just bear in mind if you go with a B550 you will have 1 PCI-E 4.0 for your x16 and only 1 PCI-E 4.0 NVME M.2 slot. Those limitations won't apply to X570. Every B550 Motherboard I've seen also supports higher OCs of DDR4 & more often than not are likely to have an implementation for Thunderbolt if that matters to you. Still, X570 isn't bad, it has more PCI-E 4.0 lanes.

• X570M Pro4
  • B550M AORUS PRO

Reactions: bigi

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
I'd been running a ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING up until this point - hadn't noticed the onboard audio issues some had pointed out with X570 chipsets (workaround being disabling the RJ45 NICs) however - if the extra 4.0 lanes aren't a necessity I really don't see an issue there are many boards out there with robust VRMs and power stages / great BIOS support. B550 is also the newer chipset irregardless of the aforementioned factors. The two boards I posted support Thunderbolt just in case you need to handshake with that kind of equipment. Personally I own a lot of Apple devices and other Intel cpu based mobile devices with that as a feature which makes it beneficial to me to have this as a feature with all of the big data I'm constantly moving around - a peripheral that increases that transfer rate never hurts.

Although a lot can be accomplished through higher tier networking nowadays as well as we've seen great strides (not making a direct 1:1 comparison just an alternative) with WiFi-6 and more consumer based devices having 2.5 gigabit and so on...

Chaitanya

Jan 28, 2008
It all comes down to budget. I haven't had any issues with my x570 asus tuf gaming. However, some folks spend hundreds of dollars more. It all comes down to need I guess.
Asus recently updated their X570 TUF to X570 Pro TUF which costs roughly the same but adds front panel Type-C header and given how well the original X570 TUF has turned out to this new one is what new buyers should go for.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I'm a broken record when it comes to the Hero boards. Have had a good amount of them for both Intel and AMD and they've been very stable. For the 5000 series, I'm going with the Formula version but it fairly similar.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would go with the MSI Meg ace/unify or Aorus master/ultra. These are great boards around the $300 range.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
Happy MEG X570 Unify owner here... Got the board few weeks ago and it's been very stable, quick, very good bios and FAN control. 3x M2 slots are great, VRM is cool (no doublers would be even better but we are trading hairs there), memory OC support is amazing.