Which mobile providers DO NOT require a fee to remove their block on hot-spot ?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm currently with verizon; which likes to block the built in hot-spot feature unless you pay a fee. Since there is little advantage to remaining with verizon; which mobile providers besides t-mobile provides hot-spot as standard feature ?
-
My usage is well below 2gb so I'm not looking for unlimited or some expensive plan that does add hot-spot.
--
btw verizon blocking of the built in hot-spot feature is incredibly stupid since you can legally use a third party ap like foxi which is one of the reason that i'm planning on switching providers. I mean how lame can a provider be to do this bullshit ?

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Not sure what plan you have, but the new Verizon unlimited plan has 10 GB of hotspot for every billing cycle. T-Mobile has also matched this offer on their unlimited plan, but has no cap on hotspot data usage. I'm also able to use hotspot on my AT&T (Nexus 6P) without any additional fees.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well given my usage I would being paying 2x-3x current rate for a 10GB plan just for disabling the block on hotspot....

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Off the top of my head, Ting and Project Fi. There are probably others though.

-KeithP

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Why not root your phone (if possible) or get a used nexus phone and unlock and root, might be easier than switching.

I thought Verizon did not block hot spot feature on there tiered plans since you are paying for the data anyway, maybe they changed.

Still on Verizon unlimited grandfathered, and the hot spot feature was blocked on my nexus 6p, had to unlock and root then all was good. Same with my wife on her nexus 5x

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have the standard Verizon 6GB Share Everything plan for myself and my wife and the hot spot is NOT blocked on our phones. I don't pay anything extra for the hot spot functionality.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
verizon allows you to install a hotspot application due to goof signing deal with fcc for spectrum; they DO block the phones' built in hotspot application which is quite petty. Nexus device doesn't have this problem because verizon doesn't modify the software. My phone has a sd slot so i obviously do not have a nexus device since google is alergic to sd slots.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
It must vary depending on the phone. I use the built in hot spot function on our Droid Turbo 2 phones. No additional app is required.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
OP must be on a really old plan. Verizon hasn't blocked tethering since 2010ish.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
My plan is a 2014 plan. When I try to enable the built in hotspot it sez you must subscribe to a mobile hot-spot plan. Naturally I can use foxfi for free.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
if you are on a grandfathered unlimited plan you cant use hotspot,

foxfi worked when i had my nexus but it doesn't on my pixel which is odd - both came from google and not VZW. but honestly i can count the number of times ive needed or wanted to use a hotspot in the past 5 years on 1 hand, i just use USB tether if i need to and it works fine

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
grandfathered unlimited plan you cant use hotspot

My wife and I have this grandfathered plan, surprisingly the Hotspot feature on m nexus 6p was not blocked, however her nexus 5x was blocked by verizon (dmverify check), both phones was bought straight from google.

At any rate both phones are now unlocked and rooted and both phones now have Hotspot feature (rarely used) enabled.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm not on a grandfathered unlimited plan with Verizon and hotspot works perfectly with any of the 3 android devices I've had in the past few years. LG G3, Galaxy S7 Edge, and LG G2 phones.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I use to live in an area that did not have cable. Was on Cricket that ALL of their devices blocked hotspot option and I rooted a phone another S5 at the time I had, and it worked...

I am still on cricket, and I got a S6 from t-mobile that is on cricket now.... I have the hotspot option, but... I could really care less, because I have 150 Megs up and 300 Down on road runner... so........ No need unless the cable went down. But have never had that problem.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Boost Mobile has hot spot enabled. It's Sprint network, so ymmv on quality, but it's ok where I'm at. I'm using a cheap phone om Boost temporarily til I get a replacement Sprint phone, but I would definitely consider using them if I were paying for service myself.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
For the record my current phone is a note 4 i have a 1GB plan on verizon and hotspot is disabled (they want $10 on a month to remove the block). I think the boot loader has been cracked on the note 4 so I could go that route if i really wanted but i think the available roms do not support the pen (also i tried that route with the note 2 and it had issues over time because the rom developers came and went - i.,e i rather not load a 3rd party rom on the note 4). On the bright side I'll probalby upgrade this year to s8 or note 8 or lg something or other. At that time I will double check if version is going to remove their silly block or switch to tmobile or sprint. Personally I find cdma works better for voice but t-mobile has a better build out in boston.