spaceboy909

Sep 1, 2010
Hi all,

I recently bought a Utechsmart Venus after deciding between it and the Redragon mouse that is very similar. I'm very disappointed because the side buttons are so stiff that it requires a significant squeeze, which torques my hand and causes accidental right clicks. It's very uncomfortable to use.

By contrast, the two main buttons are very light and easy, perfect for me. The side buttons are at least double the resistance of the main buttons, making it unusable for fast paced precision gaming.

After looking at some video reviews of the Redragon, not only is the physical mouse almost identical in every way, but the software appears to be identical as well, so I'm guessing they're made by the same company and as such, likely have the same touch for the side buttons.

So.....I'm kind of stuck. I've already wasted about $30 or so on this Utech mouse. I would love to hear from people who have tried at least two different top MMO mice and can tell me which ones have the lightest touch side buttons (easiest to press).

I can also compare to my main mouse that I've used for 7 years now, the Microsoft Sidewinder X5. The Sidewinder has very light thumb buttons, and ironically, the main buttons are just a tad stiffer than the Utech main buttons, but still light enough.

Hopefully some of you have used both the X5 and the Utech Venus and one of the other MMO mice and you can point me to the MMO mouse with the lightest side buttons. Any help is appreciated!

Ftr, while I would prefer an MMO mouse with the 12 or more buttons on the side, if they're all stiff like my Utech, then I could settle for a mouse with 4 or 5 thumb buttons that have a lighter touch, if you can recommend one of those. I just need to improve on my X5 which only has two thumb buttons. Btw, I do like large mice, preferably. Both the X5 and Utech are what I would call fairly large.

(Mice for Massive Multiplayer Online [MMO] games)

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
The SteelSeries Rival 500 is epic, it's a 15 button mouse. You're going to pay a higher price for it. The Rival 700 has less buttons but it might be able to inform you that your cooldowns are ready by vibrating. The companies mice last for the money. I have the Sensei RAW rubber and it's lasted longer than any mouse I've bought, including SteelSeries' WoW themed mice.

I had a similar mouse to yours from Razer a few years back, that would be the NAGA series. Those side buttons were just as hard to use and really not easy enough to find when you really need them quickly. I haven't tried the newer NAGA Chroma series.

I gave Roccat a go, most of their mice feel good to hold but the software is a real let-down. Most of them can't take the punishment of an MMO and end up with the same faults. They do have an MMO mouse called the NYTH with configurable/removable side buttons. I'd buy from Amazon so you could get your money back.

I can't really recommend you anything because it's you that's going to decide how much money you spend and what style/functions/ease of use are important to you.

Last edited:

spaceboy909

Sep 1, 2010
Thanks, I'll check out that Steele series. As far as features go, as long as the side buttons are fully programmable, that's all I really need, I think. The most important thing are buttons that are very easy to press, like my X5, because right now, my brand new $30 Utech is just collecting dust.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I'll second the Rival 500, it's my new current mouse. Tried a demo and bought it instantly, really nice fit for my hand.