Which memory is better, advice please...

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by SEIZETHEDAY4EVA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SEIZETHEDAY4EVA

I've got a Gigabyte P67A-UD7 motherboard, 2600 i7 3.40GHZ processor.

Currently i'm using 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 1866MHZ memory but thinking of buying the
    Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x 8Gb) memory 1600Mhz. If i'm honest i like the LED's on the top of the memory but my question is whether or not i will see any performance gain in games and well generally using Windows 8.

Also i'm assuming that the memory is slower then the memory i have as the Ballistix is 1600Mhz and the Vengeance i'm using runs at 1866Mhz?

Money isn't a problem, i just wanted to upgrade to more memory but not if it's going to run slower.

Advice need please?

2. Blain

Blain Lifer

Use your current DIMMs and add a matching Vengeance kit.

3. mrpiggy

mrpiggy Member

You aint gonna see one lick of difference between the two, so you might as well go for the one that is most pleasing to your eyes. The performance diff between RAM @ 1866 vs 1600 in next to nothing; like 1-2% at best for "memory" oriented benchmarks, even less impact for general overall PC benchmarks, and even less in the real world where a sneeze has more of an impact on your interaction with your PC.

Go ahead and go for the aesthetics!

4. SEIZETHEDAY4EVA

Well the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer's will light my PC up like a Christmas tree and i'm assuming it can't hurt to have an extra 8GB on what i already have right.

One question on installation, can i simply take the others out and put the new ones in or is it best to do a format of my PC etc. I usually do this when installing a new graphics card but is it really necessary for memory to do a system format?

5. Blain

Blain Lifer

* Mixing doesn't always turn out fun
    * Buy a matching kit like I advised
    * "Money isn't a problem"... If you want lights, buy some case lighting
    * Search these forums for "ballistix"

#5 Blain, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. SEIZETHEDAY4EVA

My bad, didn't mean adding 8GB to the ones i have, just mean't having 16GB is 8GB more than what i have which couldn't hurt. Mixing memory is never a good idea.

7. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

The drop in performance from 1866MHz to 1600MHz will not be felt if you do not run benchmarks. That being said, it doesn't mean that it isn't possible to overclock the Ballistix to the levels of the Vengeance.