Which looks better coming out of college?

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
I'm an anthropology major, btw, specializing in historical archaeology with a minor in history. Really, the only difference at my school is 2 years of language required for the BA, and I'm taking Greek anyways. But which one carries more weight or looks better coming out of college?

Jun 27, 2005
A degree is a degree.

You're not going to get a job (or lose it to someone else) because you had an A or an S after your B.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
For a major like anthro I wouldn't say there's any significant difference between a BS and BA anyways. Just go with a degree program you like more.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
everyone on ATOT has the BS degree

Hahaha. True that.

My parents tried to tell me a BS looked better, but some graduate programs like BAs better, so I'm pretty torn...

kamaz

Jul 8, 2007
Originally posted by: thehstrybean
My parents tried to tell me a BS looked better, but some graduate programs like BAs better, so I'm pretty torn...

My parents told me the exact same thing. My dad says "anybody" can earn a BA, and that a BS looks better and will get you better jobs. ***** I just need to choose a major:confused:

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
The option to get a BA in psych at UGA expired a year or so before I graduated; beyond that, I'd already more than fulfilled the BS requirements during my stint as a pre-med student, so BS it was.

However, I wouldn't say that either necessarily looks better coming out. What's more important is how well you did in your classes, and most especially your major coursework.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I have a B.S. in Economics and a B.A. in Business Administration (Accounting concentration). Neither degree designation makes a difference in the real world. Can you learn new things, think critically and analyze complex data, and apply the results accurately in your work environment? Then who cares a flying fvck about whether an S or an A follow your bachelors degree?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The difference between a B.A. and a B.S. (for most lib arts majors) at my school was replacing electives with two math classes. I really don't think one carries significant weight over the other, nor should it.

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Orsorum
I have a B.S. in Economics and a B.A. in Business Administration (Accounting concentration). Neither degree designation makes a difference in the real world. Can you learn new things, think critically and analyze complex data, and apply the results accurately in your work environment? Then who cares a flying fvck about whether an S or an A follow your bachelors degree?

Huh, it's usually Bus. Admin. that's a B.S. and Econ is a B.A. How'd you get a B.S. in Econ anyway? Taking a few extra math courses?

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: RollWave
I had no option. I got BA in Biology and Religion.

Were you trying to double in the two most diametrically opposed subjects you could find?
*head asplodes*

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Were you trying to double in the two most diametrically opposed subjects you could find?
*head asplodes*

They're only diametrically opposed if you're a fundy protestant. Catholics in particular have no problem with the two co-existing.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: mrkun

Huh, it's usually Bus. Admin. that's a B.S. and Econ is a B.A. How'd you get a B.S. in Econ anyway? Taking a few extra math courses?

I've never heard of Business Admin being a B.S. At my college, frankly, the "analysis" side of the equation was understated compared to the basic Economics curriculum.

I took more math-oriented Economics courses (though just one extra in terms of credits) and extra math courses to obtain the Econ B.S.

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005

I've never heard of Business Admin being a B.S.

It might be a California thing, but it's standard fare here. Although I thought Wharton gave a B.S. degree as well.

JRock

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2001
B.S., Information Technology: Computer Networking and Telecommunication

How's that for a long ass degree...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm confused as to how one would look better over the other? wouldn't it depend on the job you want?

i mean, if you wanted to be a programmer, you wouldn't have a BA in English, you'd have a BS in Computer Science or something like that.

If you wanted to be an English teacher, you wouldn't go in with a BS in computer science, you'd go in with a BA in English.

Right?

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

*head asplodes*

Not really, I just happened to have a strong interest in both. You have no idea how many of my interviewers asked me that exact question! Haha :D

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

I've never heard of Business Admin being a B.S.

It might be a California thing, but it's standard fare here. Although I thought Wharton gave a B.S. degree as well.

If I'd gone to Wharton I'd probably be on Wall Street right now. :cool:

I don't think the distinction matters much for the business world. For engineers and other hard-sciences folk I think the distinction is much more important.