Which kind of monitor set-up on the end-all-be-all rig?

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
So I'm saving up my pennies and such for my gaming/do everything rig and here is my baby:

The Build

Now, I may tinker here and there with it, but essentially, that's her. Now, when prices come down a bit, I'll be adding a 2nd 8800GTX, but one should be sufficient for now.

So, now that you know that it's a fairly "hoss" system, here is my dilemma...

The way I see it, I have 3 options for a monitor. I'm willing to spend up to @ $1500-$1600 on the monitor or monitor setup. Here are the options, as I see them (in no particular order):

-TripleHead2Go (using 3 20" monitors): WOW! $300 for the TH2G "box" and @ $250 per monitor for a total of $1050ish.

-Dual 24" Dell 2407WFP's Total @ $1600ish

- A single 30" - 37" monitor (such as Dell's 3007 or Westinghouse's 37" HD Monitor) Total $1300ish

I'm not too terrible concerned about the triple monitors taking up deskspace. I'll manage. Now, normal viewing would be @ 3' from the monitor, so the 37" may be a bit overkill. The triplehead2go sure is exciting, the one concern are the breaks between monitors. Now, I have found the Gateway 22" ones that have VERY thin edges, so the screen goes nearly to the edge, so I don't think it'll be *too* big an issue, but I have never seen the setup in person...thoughts?

Dual monitors appeals to me so that I could game on one monitor, while having the net or whatnot up on the other (such as playing WoW on one and having Thottbot up on the other etc.) But wouldn't I need a 2nd GPU for that?

I'm having a helluva time deciding. I would greatly appreciate any and all thoughts/ideas/help/experiences.

I know that I can count on y'all as always for great help!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Did you catch this part?

"Achieve an incredible 45" of total diagonal (or more), running your Windows desktop at up to 3840 x 1024 resolution stretched across three displays (1280 x 1024 per display)."

20" 4:3 monitors tend to have 1600x1200 as a res.

Three 19" 5:4 monitors would work out better with that I think.

That said, I'm not sure at all on game support for resolutions like that. I would think that it could really be a hassle to set up.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
I would go with 2xBenQ FP241W. ~$1600. 3840x1200 total resolution, or 1200x3840 rotated. Higher image quality than the Dell for the same price. You better get one at a time just to make sure you're not bothered by input lag.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: jammur21
Penth's setup

Dell 3007
2 x Dell 2007 in vertical orientation

that. is...awesome. used a TH2G for that? i never thought about doing a setup like that, its really quite brilliant if you think about it. You get a huge main display for gaming, movies, etc...then added realestate for other things...

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
So what do you guys think about going the 30" Dell (3007) and a 24" BenQ?

The 30" would be the "main" monitor and used for gaming and such. The 2nd one is there as something to use while surfing the net, or using thottbot while playing WoW.

Thoughts?

Also, to get that to work, I'd have to run a 2nd video card, wouldn't I?

GimpyFuzznut

Sep 2, 2002
No you can use 1 video card as most video cards have DUAL outputs to power 2 screens. 2 screens can be done with video card. However, when you game, the game will only output on one screen I believe.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Ok, am I the only one who dislikes that kind of setup? Sure, the field of view is great and all, but I cant stand seeing the monitor's edges in the middle of the image.. its stupid.. A single big monitor is much better

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Ok, am I the only one who dislikes that kind of setup? Sure, the field of view is great and all, but I cant stand seeing the monitor's edges in the middle of the image.. its stupid.. A single big monitor is much better
Yeah, I like one big seamless monitor myself too.

A nice Dell 30" would be just dandy if I could just wish for any monitor at all. :p

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I use a single Dell 3007, and currently have a second PC using an old 19" CRT. At some point I want to upgrade that to a 24" Dell (the 30" won't work with the current video card, and I don't need 2 30" displays). Later on I may buy a Mac Pro, and get another 30.

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
I think I may have not been clear. I am getting one "main" monitor...the 30" 3007 or possibly the 37" Westinghouse as the "main" monitor. Games will only be on that one screen. The other monitor will be used for surfing while gaming, or multi-tabling poker :)

TY very much for the responses.

M21s...tell me about the monitor, if you don't mind. My only fear is the thing being just too damn big to sit that close to...help? Trust me, I really really want that 37" Westinghouse...I just can't get over the fact that it's that big, that close. It looks incredible. Please sell me :)

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
Originally posted by: m21s
PM sent.

Just wow! Thank you so very very much, m21s. What a quality review you gave, not to mention way above and beyond anything I was hoping for.

Needless to say, we have a winner. The Westinghouse 37" Monitor is "IT".

And for those that may be watching this thread or drop by, it's on sale for $999 if you search around the net! That's cheaper than a 2407 Dell!!!!

M21s is a perfect example of the reason I continue to count on this forum to help educate/help me with any and all things computer related! :):):)

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: jammur21
Penth's setup

Dell 3007
2 x Dell 2007 in vertical orientation

Exactly what i want someday.

I already have two 20" 4x3 (1600x1200) displays, just need the 30" :p

Look at the pic located in my sig below. :)

End all be all :)

Sorry, but no way.

Bigger isn't necessarily better, especially when it's a mere 1920x1080 in a hulking 37" frame.

I'd much rather have my two 20", or a 30" than that.

m21s

Dec 6, 2004

Look at the pic located in my sig below. :)

End all be all :)

Sorry, but no way.

Bigger isn't necessarily better, especially when it's a mere 1920x1080 in a hulking 37" frame.

I'd much rather have my two 20", or a 30" than that.[/quote]

Honestly I thought the same thing about the size to resolution, but I was wrong.
You have to see it to appreciate it I guess.

If you can apply 4xAA there are no jaggies and the image is perfect.

The OP is using an 8800GTX and possibly SLI'd.

He's going to be in heaven!

WDEagle

Feb 15, 2005
Have to agree on the Westy 37" 1080p monitor. I just ordered it for $999 shipped from Crutchfield.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
isnt 1000$ more than how much a dell 24" would cost? i see those going for ~800 CDN

GimpyFuzznut

Sep 2, 2002
Can you tell me if the Westinghouse has scaling options for different resolutions? I;m not going to be able to game at 1080P for a while so I was wondering if the screen would be flexible scaling lower resolutions without distortion or maybe providing 1:1 mapping. For a few hundred bucks more, its DEFINITELY looking like a better idea that a 2407.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: SirFelixCat
So what do you guys think about going the 30" Dell (3007) and a 24" BenQ?

I have a thing for aesthetics, so I would prefer a Dell 3007WFP and a Dell 2407WFP. I actually just got a 2407WFP yesterday, and I'm quite pleased with it. It was considerably cheaper then the BenQ F241W, and it comes with a 3 year warrantee. The only place I've found the BenQ for a reasonable price is newegg, and it has a "Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy" from newegg, and then you're left dealing with BenQ. For all I know BenQ has the best customer service in the industry so this might not be an issue, but with Dell I know that at least I can call them and get any issues straightened out. ...it might take a bit, and I might not understand half of what the phone rep says, but they will eventually make sure I'm happy.

If money was no object for an ultimate build, I think the 1x 3007WFP and the 2x 2007FP setup would be awesome. Then again so would 3x 3007WFP, but I'm not sure that would even fit on my desk. At any rate I would go with an odd number (1 or 3), since the idea of dual is less appealing to me than having a single main monitor.

no offense m21s, but "meh" on the 37" Westy... I'm sure it would make for a nice living room TV, but I've seen TV's used as monitors at Micro Center, Fry's and elsewhere, and it just doesn't look as good for desktop usage.

The OP is using an 8800GTX and possibly SLI'd.
...not with an Asus P5W DH he isn't...

...back to the OP... On your build, get a damn X-Fi instead of that 5 year old Audigy. The Audigy sounds fine, but the X-Fi is better.

Aside from the motherboard, your build is going to be very similar to mine, you won't be disappointed. :)