Which is the next big financial institution to go?

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
With the collapse of Bear Stearns, it's almost inevitable that there will be at least one more midsize financial institution (and by midsize, I mean >$100 billion in assets) will bite the dust.

Now, these are already in the "too big to fail" category, so by bite the dust I mean "get bought by another company at pennies on the dollar" or "gone into receivership" or any assortment of terms that are the boxing equivalent of a loss by TKO.

No financial company is too big, but we'll have to put the lower limit somewhere, so what do we say >100B in assets as of their most recent 8-K or whatever, not to exceed one year ago (so like Fannie & Freddie are disqualified).

So I'm still doing some research, but I have a few I am looking into. I think I can imagine one of the first ones people will take.

Lots and lots still available! Don't make me list them out, HSBC, Barclays, Deutche Bank!

-----------------------the picks-------------------
Vic: Lehman (LEH)
Naustica: National City Corporation (NCC)
OfficeLinebacker: Morgan Stanley (MS) {CFC Eligibility Questioned}
MikeTheIdiot: Citigroup (C)
GrGr: JP Morgan Chase (JPM)
nullzero: WaMu (WM)

GroundMeat

Mar 16, 2008
Countrywide is being bought out by BAC for $4 B, old news... I thought you were looking for predictions not history?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
My dad is buying gold and silver tomorrow morning. I also convinced my girlfriend to pull her money out of her savings at Wells Fargo.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Dissipate
My dad is buying gold and silver tomorrow morning. I also convinced my girlfriend to pull her money out of her savings at Wells Fargo.

Pulling money out of her federally insured savings account?

Yes, that's rational.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: beer

Yes, that's rational.

It is only irrational to someone who knows little about the banking system and that the FDIC is a scam.

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: GroundMeat
Countrywide is being bought out by BAC for $4 B, old news... I thought you were looking for predictions not history?

I thought it was just a possibility, not a hard fact?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

Yes, that's rational.

It is only irrational to someone who knows little about the banking system and that the FDIC is a scam.

lol

Sometimes I read P&N and wonder with the crap advice and statements many of you spit out if any of you manage your assets worth a damn. I guess the answer is you don't.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I wonder how many stories Legend Killer will fall when he jumps off a window ledge?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: yllus

Yes, that's rational.

lol

Sometimes I read P&N and wonder with the crap advice and statements many of you spit out if any of you manage your assets worth a damn. I guess the answer is you don't.

Where do you bank at, if I might ask?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: yllus

Yes, that's rational.

lol

Where do you bank at, if I might ask?

Scotiabank

More to the point, I'm savvy enough to know that if the situation is bad enough that FDIC gets invoked and isn't enough to save us, the world is screwed anyways. Doom and gloom away though.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
I wonder how many stories Legend Killer will fall when he jumps off a window ledge?

Thanks for the good wishes. My bank is the 7th largest in the world and has taken less than 500MM in write-downs. I am reasonably safe right now.

LEH myself.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Thanks for the good wishes. My bank is the 7th largest in the world and has taken less than 500MM in write-downs. I am reasonably safe right now.

LEH myself.

Nothing could be further from the truth. What are you going to do when the $515 trillion derivatives market goes bust?

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005

LEH myself.

Lehman was the first one taken bro! Pick again!

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

LEH myself.

Nothing could be further from the truth. What are you going to do when the $515 trillion derivatives market goes bust?

wow, you really don't know what you're talking about do you. :Q

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
i'm going to go with the disaster crowd and say citi.

Ooh, bold move, but not without it's merits.

Also remember, this is about the NEXT guy to go. Not the one that results in the most spectacular meltdown.

But still, decent choice. It's up.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
PUTting my money where my mouth is, LEH (to go under), BAC, WM to take a big hit but remain afloat.

I nailed CFC last year, almost had BSC as well, but I figured the govt would try and bail them out before the sunk.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

LEH myself.

wow, you really don't know what you're talking about do you. :Q

Does Warren Buffet know what he is talking about? Text

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
PUTting my money where my mouth is, LEH (to go under), BAC, WM to take a big hit but remain afloat.

I nailed CFC last year, almost had BSC as well, but I figured the govt would try and bail them out before the sunk.

Bro LEH's taken!