Which is more likely next-gen for online play? Sony charges $60+ or MS charges $0?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I think that Sony and Microsoft will learn from the cell phone market, and offer the next generation consoles for just $199... as long as you sign up for a two year contract of XBox Live or PlayStation Network for $29.95 a month.

Most gamers see just the $199 pricetag and will be lining up outside of Best Buy to buy one on launch day... Only to be forking over at least $900 over the next two years. Muhahahah!

I actually think this is the most likely scenario. Those networks are pretty much pure profit centers with almost non-existent overhead costs. It also guarantees a revenue stream for a set period of time.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
The Star Wars Online developer hinted that their game could be headed for the free-to-play model.

More evidence that some of the subscription models that worked before are not as effective as they were. In these modern times, I can't see any way that Microsoft keeps online play under the pay-to-play umbrella next gen. Gamers are unlikely to accept it as readily as they did when this console came out seven years ago.

I suspect these days a good chunk of their Xbox Live subscription revenue goes towards making content deals to fund development and bring apps over to the platform like Netflix, NBA, NHL, MLB, HBO GO, etc... Online entertainment options are certainly better on the Xbox than they are on the PS3.

Great, then there is no reason to charge players for the privilege to play each other online across peer-to-peer networks, right?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Great, then there is no reason to charge players for the privilege to play each other online across peer-to-peer networks, right?

Online play requires servers and servers aren't free. Online play hasn't been peer-to-peer in a long time, if ever (doesn't work for a game with more than 2 people).

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Online play requires servers and servers aren't free. Online play hasn't been peer-to-peer in a long time, if ever (doesn't work for a game with more than 2 people).

They are P2P, there is no dedicated server. One person is the host. The only thing you need servers for is for match matching and statistics, etc. You don't need a lot of hardware, even if it isn't free, it should be part of the cost of the game. It's not like MS pays for servers for 3rd party games. EA shuts down multi-player game servers every year, it makes no difference if you pay for XBL or not.

We all know multi-player components of games more than pay for themselves. It discourages trade in/sales and the used game market, this is why all past single player games have been adding MP components. So server cost is not really part of the equation, it is a drop in the bucket.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
Oh man, he thought his XBL subscription was paying for universal gaming servers instead of mostly peer-to-peer? :eek:

Mythbinder

Apr 28, 2011
I suspect this is the purpose of the online passes. An underhanded way to fund PSN off the backs of people buying used games.

Online Passes are more the answer Publishers had for used game shops. Remember a couple years ago they tried to shut down used game selling and lost in court? So was born the online pass "Fine sell the game used, But the 2nd owner still has to give us money"

As to Fee to access online content. I doubt Sony will ever go to a you must pay feature. They will just make PS Plus even more enticing then it already is.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I see Microsoft's strategy for next gen already laid out. They are going to keep a paid Gold / possibly platinum subscription. They will have deals with your cable company / high speed provider or heck best buy... buy the next gen for $100 with a contract to pay for a gold account for 5 years. Essentially getting mass market pricing from day 1.. Gold would be viewed from the consumer as cheaper than paying $500 for PS4 & a possible monthly fee. After a 5 year contract most uses will have not purchased a PS4 for 5 years and will but almost all multi platform for their existing box. PS = #3 next gen again. I think that's the plan... execution is a different thing.