Which is faster for Starcraft: Cyrix M2 333 (actual 266) or Intel Pentium 1 233 MMX at 266?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'd just buy a cheap Atom powered netbook. SC1 would run fine. Heck, I beat the SP SC1 on a Pentium 75Mhz.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Whoa...talk about a time warp. I was thinking I had stepped into the twilight zone until I looked at the dates

Dravic

May 18, 2000
I kept skipping over this one assuming it was a joke post of some sort, but i finally gave in and had to see.. sooo worth it...

man i miss the original cyrix chips (when they were actually trying to compete), i wanted one soooo bad.

Nathelion

Jan 30, 2006
lol I also thought this was someone trying to run SC on their old vintage laptop or something. I can personally attest that is does not run well on a 1994 Toshiba with a 16 MHz 486 and 24 megs of RAM (It ran, but there was some serious slow-motion going on). I tried it last year just for the lulz. It ran WarCraft II pretty well though.

I'm guessing the guy who necro'd it meant to search for "StarCraft II"

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
Damn, I have no idea what all this Cyrix and Pentium 1 is about. The oldest CPU I had was a Celeron at 400 MHz.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I remember Starcraft runs well on 133Mhz Pentium 1 and 32MB RAM. Makes SC2 look like bloatware in comparison.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
lol I just played some Brood Wars the other day and damn is it fast. Loads up instantly on modern processors. Actually had some lag and was thinking WTF, but then I heard the disc drive spinning up, lol...

Virtualized the disc to the harddrive to take care of that, didn't feel like registering my key and downloading the digital version from Bliz.
lol yea i have run SC from an ISO for years now. put the iso on my SSD and the game loads instantly to anything. if you're on a LAN you can also load the ISO off a network location faster than you can from the CD drive as well, tested it once was pretty funny.

ed: i used to have a 90mz pentium based laptop with 64mb of ram and a 20gb HDD. always used to go to my friends house and play SC on that thing, was awesome. still, didnt hold a candle to my 775MHz duron with 512mb ram and a RIVA TNT2, along with a 17" Trinitron :D

Last edited:

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
The funny thing is this thread is actually a possible post. If someone wanted an old box just for SC1 :)