Which is easier or better to drive in your mind.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
From my old post about torque. In your book what would you like your car to have. Fwd wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Under normal conditions I find RWD to be much easier to control and anticipate what the car's going to do. In ice or snow FWD or AWD.

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Driving for what? Just everyday, i don't think it matters--i hope i'm not driving close enough to the limit on a finely-enough tuned car to notice a whole lot (most cars, are set up for understeer from the factory-even on RWD cars) on a regular day in traffic.

On a nice, dry road with good visibility, RWD with lots of available horsepower takes the cake... oh, and nice sticky tires.

AWD definitely in any adverse conditions... with M/S tires.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Depends on too many other factors, weight distribution being an important one. A RWD car with 50/50 weight distribution and a limited slip differential would be my universal preference though, and even better if the limited slip differential could also be manually locked, but I don't think there are any of those on the market.

ZV

EDIT: The post above assumes on-road driving in all weather conditions except deep snow. Deep snow and off-roading would make me prefer a legitimate 4x4 with low range and three locking differentials (front, center, rear).

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Depends on too many other factors, weight distribution being an important one. A RWD car with 50/50 weight distribution and a limited slip differential would be my universal preference though, and even better if the limited slip differential could also be manually locked, but I don't think there are any of those on the market.

ZV

EDIT: The post above assumes on-road driving in all weather conditions except deep snow. Deep snow and off-roading would make me prefer a legitimate 4x4 with low range and three locking differentials (front, center, rear).

You would probably prefer just a detroit locker type rear then..at a certain rpm it locks, otherwise its just like standard open diff. YOu gotta take turns in neutral(or clutch in) but other than that, they rock.

I have a VLSD, would rather have a 2-way helical though..

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
No offense but your poll is making my head hurt. I can't pick a single option on it. Can you clean it up? I can't imagine I'm the only one who's brain is melting by trying to choose one of those 6 options, many of which are not mutually exclusive.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: gogeeta13
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV

You would probably prefer just a detroit locker type rear then..at a certain rpm it locks, otherwise its just like standard open diff. YOu gotta take turns in neutral(or clutch in) but other than that, they rock.

I have a VLSD, would rather have a 2-way helical though..
Nope, too much of a pain for performance driving, want to be able to put power down through a corner when it's dry. A Torsen that somehow also had the ability to be locked on driver demand would be perfect. On the 4x4 setup it might be nice though.

ZV

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
No offense but your poll is making my head hurt. I can't pick a single option on it. Can you clean it up? I can't imagine I'm the only one who's brain is melting by trying to choose one of those 6 options, many of which are not mutually exclusive.

lol skoorb you beat me to it

sorry but this is the dumbest poll ive ever seen

his next poll:

do you like sex with men or women?

A. its easier with men
B. its harder with women
C. i like penguins, but only bisexual penguins
D. it depends on the temperature of my apple pie
E. i like it with harder but easier women who like men, but its better with men who are with harder women

:confused::Q

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Ditto.

On normal driving conditions, I wouldn't care either way. They both get the job done with no hassle. As soon as things get interesting though (ice, snow, or even thin water) I'd take FWD any day. I used to drive all the time in those conditions with RWD and slid like crazy - fishtailing, 360°s, etc. I made the switch to FWD and never had a problem again.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm still trying to pick between "Harder- Frw wheel drive" and "Harder forward wheel drive", even though I think that FWD is easier to drive with (option 1), although option 4 (better with RWD) is true for performance (except in bad weather).

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
I remember hearing the argument that RWD was better than FWD at high speed manuvers on dry pavement.

RWD is AMAZING when you get to HIGH-performance cars.

Seeing an M3 racing an Alfa Romero is definitely interesting. The amount of under steer that the Alfa had looked prohibitive, but it still kept up.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003

no my brain is hurting with this poll also lol and i made it. Request granted!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Twista

Well I think FWD is _easier_ to drive (no oversteer, fish-tailing etc.) for the regular driver, and it's better in bad weather, but RWD is better from a performance standpoint! I picked FWD for its ease of control for most people.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Twista

Well I think FWD is _easier_ to drive (no oversteer, fish-tailing etc.) for the regular driver, and it's better in bad weather, but RWD is better from a performance standpoint! I picked FWD for its ease of control for most people.

I picked RWD because I'm not most people. ;)

- M4H

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I would rather Ricers not own RWD cars honestly. You see that vid where the kid tried to burn out and ends up going over the curb and into a parking lot, the tires didn't even really break loose.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LAUST
I would rather Ricers not own RWD cars honestly. You see that vid where the kid tried to burn out and ends up going over the curb and into a parking lot, the tires didn't even really break loose.

Tooooooo late... drifting is the craze now... and bandwagons are at full speed... :( All the 240SXs... RX7s... and whatever used RWD are out there are getting marked up in $$$... you should see these f*ckers get all excited because they pull the e brake... and slide for 5 ft... in the mall parking lot. :frown: