Which is Cheaper : Manual or Automatic Transmission?

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
Ofcoarse, when you buy the car, manual is way cheaper, but
I also heard during a life of a car, you need to change the clutch?

I am thinking of weather to spend $800 more to get an automatic transmission and lose a little more gas
VS a manual transmission which saves about 1 or 2 mpg and the clutch may die?

How much does Clutch replacements cost?

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Auto's "clutches" can go as well, just not as easily as a manual's. Don't base your buying decision on how long the clutch will last. By the time it dies you'll be wanting to sell the vehicle anyways. :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Clutches last anywhere from 25,000 miles to 200,000 miles. Depends entirely upon your driving style, and the amount of use it gets. If you do all highway driving, then it's quite possible to stretch it out very far. Drive entirely in town in stop and go traffic and and you might be looking at 60,000 miles. Rag it pretty hard and you'll replace it in 30,000 miles.

As far as replacement costs go, it can be anywhere from $300 to $1000 depending upon make/model, and the place that does it. Best thing you can do is to ask the service department that works with that particular car what an average clutch replacement is.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Like they said, unless you'll be driving this car for a LONG time you probably won't have to replace the clutch.

I wouldn't let fuel economy be too big of a decision either if you really want an automatic. I know manual can be more fun and usually gets slightly better mileage, but to me personally it's not usually worth the hassle if you're using the car as a daily commuter in stop and go traffic. The only time I really like to drive stick anymore is in a truck or in a sports car on a windy road.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Automatic transmissions require regular fluid changes, between 15,000 and 60,000 miles. That can be a $100 job. You could probably change a manual tranmission's oil, oh say, never, and be OK (not that you should never change it). Try that with an automatic and see how long before you're looking at a $2000 transmission rebuild.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Still haven't decided on which car to get? :D

If you get an automatic you'll probably have a better chance of selling the car after a few years.

CAHEK13

Nov 27, 2001
I don't think you should use price to decide stick versus auto issue. They end up causting about the same. Instead decide based on better performance and fun factor of manual vs comfort of auto.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Clutch life depends on how you drive. Auto trannys require more maintenance overall... not to mention that thing sucks the life out of your engine. :)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you drive it well, you can get better milage with a manual transmission. Even better, a stick will deliver far better acceleration and overall power than an automatic tranny. My little four banger Mazda steps out nicely with a 5-speed. The same car is a bit of a slug with an auto trans.

Cheesemoo

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
well auto is much more exspensive to fix. belieive me i have dropped over 4000 in my auto tranny. :(, it that were clutches it would have been alot cheaper

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
....Sometimes manuals can be the more expensive option (certain sports cars.)

Autos are more expensive to maintain (in general), however choose what is more appropriate for your driving conditions rather than on the basis of fuel costs or oil change costs. For me, the hassle of driving in nyc stop and go would be horrible with a stick. I gladly pay the additional money for the auto trans.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Transmissions aren't designed to fail...but they just do.

Manual transmission will last longer as long as you treat it right and know how to shift. The clutch may need to be replaced anywhere from 120-180k miles...maybe sooner, maybe later. Usually the price of replacing a clutch is $300-600. The gearbox itself can have problems, but as long as you keep fluid in it and don't do anything that puts unnecessary strain on it, it should last the life of the car.

Automatic transmissions can fail anytime, but most will get you anywhere from 120-180k...however replacement can get costly. You have options of replacement or rebuilding the transmission and those costs range anywhere from $1200 to $2400 depending on if you're rebuilding, buying a used or new transmission.

All the prices are mechanic prices so if you can do the work yourself, you should be able to save some labor costs. I would recommend a manual transmission unless you're lazy like me and do a lot of city or long distance driving. If you're getting a sports car...don't even consider the automatic cause it may even decrease the car's value. :D

DJFuji

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I assume this post was a rhetorical question...

PLEASE tell me youre not about to buy an automatic corvette, camaro, or truck. That should be illegal. What the hell is the point of that, anyway? If you want a vette learn to drive one first! But i digress...

AlwaysWong

Nov 7, 2000

<< I assume this post was a rhetorical question...

PLEASE tell me youre not about to buy an automatic corvette, camaro, or truck. That should be illegal. What the hell is the point of that, anyway? If you want a vette learn to drive one first! But i digress...
>>

I have to agree with Fuji. I mean, I know Porsche developed Tiptronic, but who the heck would buy it? Apparantly, lots of people. It seems like manual transmissions are disappearing from the broad market. Nowadays, the only cars with manual shift are either barebones entry-level or "sport-minded". Cars over 16 ft long with stick shifts are a thing of the past.