which is better: 2 associate degrees or 1 bachelors degree?

parsley007

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
this is basically a follow-up to this thread. however, i am considering going back to a community college and getting two degrees, one in computer networking technology, and another in networking security. how do you think that would appeal to an employer versus a 4-year business information systems degree. (bear in mind i could co-op and thus have work experience with the business information systems degree). thanks for the help.

parsley007

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
Originally posted by: PipBoy
bachelor's, no question. no offense but 2 half assed degrees don't equal one real one.

thanks for the reply, i figured as such, but was wondering what the general consesus would be..

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Bachelors for sure. I received my associates last year and I am now attempting my bachelors.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
bachelor's, no question. no offense but 2 half assed degrees don't equal one real one.

A bachelors degree is the holy grail for anyone who has an associates degree(s) and has worked a few years

An associates degree will get you in the door, and you will promptly notice that the room that you have entered has a 4 foot ceiling

There are rare exceptions, dont get me wrong, I used to make $50K/yr with only an associates degree. Hell, when I was a solo contractor, I could have easily cleared $100K one year if the late 90's economy had kept going (and my wife hadn't accepted a job out of state). Spending 2 more years of your life to get the BS/BA is a very good investment. It allows you alot more flexibility

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
1 bachelors is > 2 Associates.

It depends if you are comparing degrees in same field or not.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Agreed

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I have both. :)

It all depends on where you're starting. If you're starting at the bottom I really don't think it matters.

parsley007

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
Originally posted by: gopunk
well i think you have your answer

me too :) ...thanks for all the input...i'll be sticking with the bachelor's in business information systems