Which internet pipe would you rather have?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: Svnla
Doesn't OP forget the cost of a basic phone line in order to get DSL? I pay about $20 for it on top of DSL cost ($35). My DSL total cost = $55/month.

we already have landline service, and plan to keep it for now, so I'm not figuring that into the internet cost for this purpose..

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: DaWhim
verizon dsl. their newsgroup is just awesome.

it is not as awesome as adelphia tho, since adelphia has news service with giganews with 90 days retention!!! the down side is 5gb monthly cap. it is great for what I use newsgroups.

90 days, wow. That's a huge archive in online status I take it.

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
you said you mainly want the speed for dling (non ptp) so the cable is the better choice. but the dsl isn't bad for the money but I lie cable better personaly

You won't likley fill 3000k, but you could EASILY fill 230k

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Originally posted by: eos
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
DSL unless you're going to be downloading a LOT.

Here are my personal up/down stats. If you look at 2005-07 through now, that is on a 1.5mb/796k DSL. Before that, I was on 6mb/768k Comcast cable.

You might want to remember that with cable internet, you share a node with a few neighbors. If they are bandwidth hogs, you might not get great performance.

Dsl is your own connection. You share with no one.

That's technically correct, but in reality it doesn't really work that way. IIRC with cable the bandwidth from the node to the provider is much higher than the rated speed at the house, so node sharing isn't that big of a deal. With DSL yes you have an individual node going to your house, but everyone is still dependant on one pipe where the nodes meet. Both systems are pretty much set up on the same tree design.

Everyone has dedicated bandwidth to the DSLAM. The DSLAM has a crazy amount of bandwidth available (like the one we run has 3 OC-48 circuits on it). Maxing out bandwidth is not an issue with DSL.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Rip the Jacker
Cable, Cable, Cable.

DSL is horrible.

Mine works better, when I had cable I had a lot of trouble with my vonage, hooked it up to DSL and it works great.

Also a lot of my ping times for games are better.

Saying one is bad or better than another is really not valid, they are just differant ways of connecting.

some advise for you though ask the sales person how far away from the dslam or C/O you are. if you are over 12000-15000 feet I would suggest cable. If you are under 10000 feet then go for the dsl, cheaper and at that loop length you shouldn't have difficulties.

1337 post !!

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
the DSL. cable is shared bandwidth and during peak hours your fast connection will seem like dial-up. also, the upload of the DSL is much better.

Night Blade

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Horus
Originally posted by: Azndude2190
I would go with DSL...faster upload speeds...more reliable connection.

And plus were talking about $20 dollars more for the cable.

More reliable connection? are you on CRACK? In the 6 years I've had cable I've had it go down on me maybe 5 times...and every time the situation was rectified.

My sister has DSL in Toronto...she says it's TERRIBLE.

What provider is she using? I'm in East Toronto & use IGS and issues are pretty much non exsistant. I had Rogers cable for a time being, & before that Shaw cable, speed wise cable was great at the start, over the years however it got to the point where I was getting dial-up speeds at peak hours, switched to DSL about 2 years ago & haven't looked back, difference for me atleast is night & day plus DSL is cheaper.

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: Zolty
Originally posted by: Rip the Jacker
Cable, Cable, Cable.

DSL is horrible.

Mine works better, when I had cable I had a lot of trouble with my vonage, hooked it up to DSL and it works great.

Also a lot of my ping times for games are better.

Saying one is bad or better than another is really not valid, they are just differant ways of connecting.

some advise for you though ask the sales person how far away from the dslam or C/O you are. if you are over 12000-15000 feet I would suggest cable. If you are under 10000 feet then go for the dsl, cheaper and at that loop length you shouldn't have difficulties.

1337 post !!

My loop is 5500. :)

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
In this situation DSL for $33 a month with 768up. Good for gaming and FTP server.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
DSL ftw. Mostly cause of price. Actually speeds should be pretty similar with exception of better UL with DSL.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Night Blade
Originally posted by: Horus
Originally posted by: Azndude2190
I would go with DSL...faster upload speeds...more reliable connection.

And plus were talking about $20 dollars more for the cable.

More reliable connection? are you on CRACK? In the 6 years I've had cable I've had it go down on me maybe 5 times...and every time the situation was rectified.

My sister has DSL in Toronto...she says it's TERRIBLE.

What provider is she using? I'm in East Toronto & use IGS and issues are pretty much non exsistant. I had Rogers cable for a time being, & before that Shaw cable, speed wise cable was great at the start, over the years however it got to the point where I was getting dial-up speeds at peak hours, switched to DSL about 2 years ago & haven't looked back, difference for me atleast is night & day plus DSL is cheaper.

DSL reliability rarely has anything to do with the service the telco is providing. They give the same signal to everyone- it's their ability to receive it that determines if the service is good or not. It all has to do with phone line loop distance, and the quality of the wiring inside the house. Cable has the advantage in wiring because you basically get a new line installed with each order. With DSL, you have to hope the lines installed in your 1950 house are still in good shape, and you have to be under 15000ft from a central office to get 1.5 service (under 11000ft for 3.0, and under 8000ft for 6.0).

Telcos are deploying remote terminals everywhere to get as many people as they can under 8000ft loop length, because they want to start providing TV content to fight cable TV programing.