Which GTX 460 1GB should I get.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133326

I personally like Nvidia's reference cooler. Seems to be pretty effective and quieter than most 3rd party (and at least makes some attempt to exhaust air out of the case).

It has pros & cons. If you have really poor case ventilation, the reference cooler may be a little better. On the flipside, if you have decent ventilation the "open face" coolers will be a lot more effective. Just have to make sure you can get the hot air out of your case, but the open ones get heat away from the card better.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
In case lopri forgot...
Oh, Steam.. Well, it's just those that are already covered by others. Technical reasons (occasional lock-ups and corrupted/disturbed installers, etc.), financial reasons (I sell my finished games, usually bundled with a video card), and privacy reasons. Yeah I know, it's like worrying about running into the least expected person in Times Square but then again that has happened to me more than once. ;) It's just a principle that I do not want to compromise if I can. I block via firewall or run all (most) the home-phoning applications in generic VMs. My main system can do all my work without the Internet connection. Once GPU virtualization becomes practical I might consider Steam.

Back on topic, I found out my local MicroCenter has two vendors' GTX 460 1GB on sale: Sparkle and Palit. Sparkle has the reference cooler and Palit has a custom cooler with bigger fan. Both below $210. They had a 2GB version for $240 as well. Is there any review on Palit's custom HSF?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Thank you for the link, happy medium. I will probably stop at the MC later on to pick that up.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I've got the Palit one for $230. 2GB onboard memory. (a first for me) Build quality isn't as good as I hoped it to be, but the card runs cool and performs admirably so I'm impressed. I didn't do side-by-side, but I simply played SC2 with the card oc'ed to 800/1000 and just looking at the FRAPS counter it seems like 5~10 FPS faster than the 5870 (non-oc'ed) in SC2! I thought I was CPU bound with this game (even at 2560x1600) but this card proved me wrong. Maybe I will do a side-by-side test but so far I am very happy with this my first 2GB video card.