• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

Question Which Gigabyte AM4 motherboards have Alt Mode header support?

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
A dubious question for this hour in the morning, no? OK, what I am asking is that some motherboards have headers for USB 3.1 Gen1 or 2. Both of these Gen's by theory can support Alt Mode, but that doesn't mean a given chipset designer/supplier has a product on a motherboard that does support Alt Mode on its USB 3.1 headers. Now, I am not talking about the back panel Type-C, or even the back panel Type-A, but the headers meant for the front panel. Is this something one can expect to be limited to the X570 chipset, or is it available on others like the B series as well?

BTW, Alt Mode support DisplayPort 1.4 video. And no I do not want to spend hours trying to figure out what some other board manufacturers have offered information-wise as opposed to just spilling the beans. Actually, considering what a TB3 or USB3 Gen 2x2 on Type-C can do, makes you wonder why the back panel isn't replaced with a dozen Type-C ports.

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've never seen ANY front-panel USB3.0/3.1/3.2/Type-C support "Alt Mode".

The only one that I've seen that explicitly supports it, is the ASRock DeskMini H470W, the rear USB-C is noted as supporting DisplayPort signalling as well. (That's an Intel iGPU onboard whatever CPU you place into it.)

Never seen it on AMD. Would be interested if any AMD APU-powered device out there supports it.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
It seems from what I am reading that the USB3.1/-Gen1/2/2x2 can be used for Alt Mode, but the subsystem that wants to use it (IGP) needs to be capable and willing. I would think any Intel containing an IGP would do this as long as the motherboard chipset supports that kind of transport from IGP to the USB chipset. Similarly, I would imagine the Ryzen+Vega would have to do the same from CPU socket to motherboard chipset.

I have seen some custom computer builds where inside the case's glass window a small tablet sized display is being used by the operating system--presumably as a second display. I guess they are playing shade-tree mechanics and just re-routing wiring from a normal IGP backpanel port back into the case.

ASK THE COMMUNITY