Which games are most sensitive to overclocking?

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
It seems that Neverwinter Nights is very sensitive to heat because when I reach about 48c the game freezes. Warcraft 3 also seems to be another one that does not like heat very well as it will crash at around 50c. Is this true for you guys as well?

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You can't really say which games are "sensitive" to overclocking.. all games are susceptible to crashes if the system is not stable..

I have both games you have, and I can run then flawlessly for hours. They are both fairly CPU intensive games, and would stress your system quite heavily.

It seems obvious that your overclock has not been fully tested, and you should run prime95 or do some video encoding for at least 6 hrs or more (24hrs is my gold standard), and see if crashes or errors occur. If it does, then it's time to see which part of your o/c failed (CPU? RAM? M/B?) and lower your o/c as needed.

Oh, FYI my 1700+ is at 2.4v (200 x 12) while running SETI@home 24/7, temps are constantly ~50 deg C

GUN

Aug 16, 2001
Agreed. Run prime95 for a while.
If you pass prime torture test for 24h, look at your graphics card oc or bus speed.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Medellon
It seems that Neverwinter Nights is very sensitive to heat because when I reach about 48c the game freezes. Warcraft 3 also seems to be another one that does not like heat very well as it will crash at around 50c. Is this true for you guys as well?

yeah... no probs here for me...

i think your o/c is unstable or your video card o/c is unstable or something in your system is unstable

wicktron

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Medellon

Actually, I agree with this guy on Warcraft 3 and other Blizzard games. They seem to be more succeptible to crashing than other games. I've Prime95'd for about 20hrs before without error, but crashed in an hour long game of WC3.

Naruto

Jan 5, 2003
Warcraft 3 is not very tolerable of stressed memory speeds. Usually they give these memory fault protection errors.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Dude, your system is totally unstable if it crashes like that. There is no such thing as a game that is "senstive to overclocking", your system is either STABLE or NOT STABLE, easy as that.

4x4expy

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Lyfer
Dude, your system is totally unstable if it crashes like that. There is no such thing as a game that is "senstive to overclocking", your system is either STABLE or NOT STABLE, easy as that.

Agreed. While some apps and games may be more likely to trip an unstable system, there absolutely must be some undiagnosed problems with your setup.