Which game is more overrated?

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Personally, I'd have to go with HL2...just never found it to be any fun at all.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Doesn't a game have to be rated to become overrated? That should eliminate Quake Wars from the list.

I picked UT3 because it sucks. :D

KT

Oct 4, 2004
Crysis - game has to be released, sell a few million copies, win tons of GOTY awards and generate equal amount of 'this game rocks' & 'this game sucks' posts in forums all over the Internet to qualify as over-rated.
UT3 - see above.
Quake Wars - I haven't seen a single 5/5, Editor's Choice review online. Apparently there are maps where it's impossible to win if you are playing as the human force? Too many complaints about balance and everybody is busy playing TF2. The game has failed to make any serious impact, which is sad because it was supposed to the Battlefield-killer - without a buggy engine and popped-veins.

HL2+Ep1/2 - I only played HL2 and thought it was the shiznit. Been meaning to play Ep 1/2 but any praise HL2 gets is well-deserved IMO.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3 haven't even been released yet, so there's no point in including them.

I've only played the demo of Quake Wars and haven't read any reviews on it so I can't say much about that. Half-Life 2, I think, deserves all the praise it gets/has gotten.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i'm going to say UT3 - great fast paced action, but feels totally soulless like UT2k4. vehicles and weapons feel like they have no punch whatsoever. give me dual enforcers from UT99 any day.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
Half Life 2 ep1+ep2 and Portal should be in there too.Watched a friend playing it and the cuteness(happy go lucky gun turrets, fruit loop computer making lame jokes) of it made me think it was a fps for children.I dunno why everyone thought that game was so great.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: milesl
Half Life 2 ep1+ep2 and Portal should be in there too.Watched a friend playing it and the cuteness(happy go lucky gun turrets, fruit loop computer making lame jokes) of it made me think it was a fps for children.I dunno why everyone thought that game was so great.

Maybe because it was? If you just watched your friend play it, and you yourself havent, you have no room to talk.

And its no Manhunt, but its certainly not an FPS for children.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Cabages

Maybe because it was? If you just watched your friend play it, and you yourself havent, you have no room to talk.

And its no Manhunt, but its certainly not an FPS for children.

Does it get better? Do you get any other weapons?Can you shoot stuff?Is there even a health indicator?

NO!

Why would I buy something to play that turned me off watching a friend play it for 30 minutes.From what he told me that is about 1/4 of the game,so why can I not have an opinion based on that.Its not like Valve had a demo or any other way to try the game.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Portal was the most fun I've had in an FPS since TF2 came out before that the last FPS I played and enjoyed was HL2 & CS:S.

Technically HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 are all separate games, or at the very least 1 game and 2/3 of another. I wasn't impressed with UT3 it was pretty to the point where it was distracting. Does everthing in that game really need to be have 12032132187 tiny pieces. Quake Wars and Crysis I know nothing about.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: milesl
Does it get better? Do you get any other weapons?Can you shoot stuff?Is there even a health indicator?

NO!

I wouldn't call Portal an FPS because there is really no shooting. That's because its not made to be an FPS game like that.
I'd call it an FPP - First Person Puzzler

the game was really fun.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I have to say Quake Wars, unfortunately. I had been waiting for the game for awhile, but I have no inclination to pick it up after playing the MP demo. It feels like BF2 with Quake weapons and controls (and I do like the weapons, it has the very tight Quake feel for combat). Vehicles are very fragile and IMO handle badly, though. The demo map was also balanced very badly in favor of the Strogg. I like the idea of ongoing ranks, etc., but the demo didn't really support it. The gameplay also felt too slow-paced in comparison to, say, UT3. It would entice me to buy an 8800 GT bundled with it, but I won't be picking it up for more than $20 alone.

Edit: Oh, the other games! I like the UT3 demo, although it doesn't run super well on my machine (need to get that 8800 GT I spoke of). The Crysis demo is fun as well, although it runs like dog shit. HL2 Ep2/Portal are fun, although IMO not quite worth the price - too short.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Half life episode 1 and 2 was awesome.

Quake War is the crappier game but it's not rated that high.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
QW is just boring imo, the orange box is also just more of the same.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
HL2.... contrary to what people thought, nothing in that game was revolutionary. It did almost everything well, but it was just a really good shooter IMO. Crysis seems to be right up there with it.

I will give HL2 props for playing on a lot of systems though, unlike crysis.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: flashbacck
Doom3?

I thought that was WAY more overrated for HL2.
I thought in general people thought Doom 3 sucked? I happen to think it's a great game, but IMO that's not that majority consensus.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Based on the demo, UT3 has been a huge letdown so far in my book. Not sure what it is, but I'm just not feeling it. Loved UT'99 so I'm hoping the full version will have more to offer.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Quake Wars. Cheap BF2 clone.

I absolutely love the HL series, so :confused: as to why people think it's overrated.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont know how anybody can comment on how these games are over or underrated, seeing as we havent played most of them yet.
Crysis only has a demo and shouldnt automatically be rated just on that. UT 3 has nothing (unless there is a beta I dont know about, which is worse than a demo anyway).

The only one I can say for sure is HL2. Way too much hype for a game that turned out to be just decent.
I also have to agree about Doom3. INSANE hype and only some of the players liked it and most hated it.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I would say that I'm an avid gamer and the HL/2 series have never appealed to me.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
I too love FPSes, but I never understood why HL2 received as much praise as it did. Linear gameplay, dumb enemies, even dumber friendly AI, lousy weapons (except for the shotgun), and ofcourse..goddamn STEAM! The only redeeming feature was that some of the levels looked good graphically and ran well on medium-spec hardware. I am not even interested in the orange box.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
HL Episode 2 was pretty good but WAY too short.

My vote goes to QW's even though I only played the demo.