Which Game Has the Best Graphics of All Time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PC Games with Best Graphics of All Time (Including Mods)?

• Crysis

• Crysis 2

• Battlefield 3

• The Witcher 2

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• Metro 2033

• GTA IV

• Batman: Arkham City

• Dirt 3

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
To me those are two separate things. There's graphics (life like), and then there's art (up to the creator).

With that in mind, to me there's no question that Crysis 1 has the best graphics of any game ever released.

I agree....very different subjects. A game can have awesome art direction and terrible graphic quality (Alice: Madness Returns, for example).

I started a thread once for specific discussion about art direction, and what everybody's favorites were......and I think 2 people actually responded. Yet when "best graphics" threads are started, everybody shows up and talks about art direction! o_O

Feb 6, 2007
I think top 3 I've seen would be Battlefield 3, Crysis and Skyrim. Of those three, I haven't actually played Battlefield 3, only seen it on my nephew's rig (not at max settings) and seen screenshots, and Skyrim doesn't look great until you add several GB of texture mods to it. So I'd vote Crysis as kind of a default "this looks amazing out of the box" best graphics to date.

Still, with mods, I've never seen a game match the beauty of watching the sunrise over Lake Ilinalta flanked by mountains as the dragonflies dart about over schools of fish teeming the shoreline. Skyrim can be absolutely gorgeous.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Still, with mods, I've never seen a game match the beauty of watching the sunrise over Lake Ilinalta flanked by mountains as the dragonflies dart about over schools of fish teeming the shoreline. Skyrim can be absolutely gorgeous.

Makes me wish my rig would have supported Skyrim on hi-res. Alas, I played on my Xbox. Looked nice, but not what I would call beautiful.

Feb 12, 2003
Without doubt the most detailed game is The Witcher 2, for FPS it's obviously Crysis followed by Battlefield 3.

Also i'd have to say S.T.A.L.K.E.R. combined with the COMPLETE Mod is also one of the best looking games to date, great environments and attention to detail with an amazing atmosphere.

The next game to have the most stunning visiuals on PC will be ARMA 3.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
It is sort of a loaded question, as every game you list has very good graphics and especially so when modded.

Alot of graphics is just plain personal preference, as mentioned, art design ect...ect.

For me personally....I am a texture junkie :biggrin:

I agree with the above poster....STALKER games look fantastic with the complete mod installed.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Vote for TW2 with ubersampling. The detail + atmosphere + overall engine quality makes it a win in my books.

Madmick

Apr 7, 2012
Well it looks like Dirt 3 was my only fail poll option. There's 7 votes for "other" but only S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been mentioned, so I'm not sure what else I missed. As most have divined, the focus of the poll is not on art direction.

Witcher 2, Crysis, and Battlefield 3 are the clear frontrunners. So far nobody has mentioned a minimum build required to max these games- with full mods. What's the cheapest build you'd design to run Ultra/Max settings on these games, modded, with a solid FPS target (let's say 35+)?

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Original Crysis. Best graphics include best artwork for the technology and one palm tree looks like another. With mods its unbeatable. Anyone complaining about mods being unfair needs to remember this is an almost five year old game. If it can still hold top crown five years later with mods there's no doubt it was killer to begin with.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I think the Anno series deserves an honourable mention. Strategy games have never been this detailed and beautiful.

carling220

Dec 16, 2011
Not the most technically amazing game by any means at all but Mafia 2 I just played through really really surprised me, looked amazing.

BF3 looks really good so does Crysis.

Unfortunately only played Batman on Ps3 before I got my rig, not seen it on PC. I'd imagine it'd look awesome though.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
I think modded GTA4 looks the most realistic and best.
Metro 2033 is one of the ugliest gaves I've ever seen. It looks is if watching through the eyes of someone who has a serious mind-fog issue and blurred vision after a concussion. Also it feels like you are watching through a camera 3 meters ahead and with lower than-in-reality viewing-zone. Too bad many mistake this blur effect with good graphics.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Metro 2033 is one of the ugliest gaves I've ever seen. It looks is if watching through the eyes of someone who has a serious mind-fog issue and blurred vision after a concussion. Also it feels like you are watching through a camera 3 meters ahead and with lower than-in-reality viewing-zone. Too bad many mistake this blur effect with good graphics.
I'm currently playing playing Metro 2033 (I just got past the Librarians) and you don't know WTF you're talking about. The atmosphere in that game is freaking INSANE.

Apr 20, 2008
I will take back my previous comment. The game that has the best graphics is clearly the original Starcraft.

Most realistic? Mafia 2 in my opinion.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
Technology moves at a breakneck pace, it seems like just a short while ago I unpacked my sega genesis plopped in sonic the hedgehog and was blown away with the color and fluidity of the game, it looked light years ahead of the old 8 bit games I had been accustomed to. For Crysis to have the most votes so far in this poll 5 years after its release speaks volumes. It gets my vote.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Crysis 2 DX11 undisputably has the best graphics. It has the best lighting and shadow system of any of the game listed, and is the only game to feature real time local reflections and variable penumbra (on all shadows).

The Witcher 2's light and shadows look very poor in comparison to Crysis 2 DX11. But if you include artistry, then the Witcher 2 takes it.

The Witcher 2 has amazing art direction, and so does Batman AC.

Apr 20, 2008
Are you an ETSN now, or were you at one time?

I am one weekend a month!

Are you trollin or are you being real ?

Actually, real. Especially for its time, Starcraft is/was a great looking sci-fi RTS whose graphics created an atmosphere that sparked imagination and brought 3d immersion through a two dimensional game.

When I see this:
stove13.jpg

I see this:
starcraft1.jpg

Everyone can disagree with me, but that's actually how I see it.