Which Entry Luxo-Sport Sedan/Coupe would YOU take?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: isekii
Originally posted by: SCSIfreek
Originally posted by: isekii
IS300 prolly has the one of the best handling from all those autos mentioned above..

It's not as fast off the line.. but it makes up for it in handling

have you driven a BME 330?

Have you read my post ? ?

"ONE OF THE BEST " meaning there are other cars that match it's handling capabilities...
Did I say "The Best" ?

And how much more does the 330 cost compared to the IS300 ? ?

Have you driven the IS300 ?

Btw 330 isn't an entry level luxo-sport sedan imo 325 yes 330 no..

IS300 blows the 325 out of the water

If you wanted to compare the 330 then might as well put in 6k more for Stage I turbo on the IS300 and it'll still be cheaper

Yes i have driven the IS300, BMW 330, BMW 325, MB C240, MB C230, ACURA CL, RX300, GS300, more......

If you're a kid or ricer looking to race get the IS300 by all means. The interior is just utter crap with plastics all around, as for the handling I'll take the BMW 325ci over the IS300 any day. when you say "IS300 blows the 325 out of the water" in which way? torque, handling, ponies(agreed), quality, gas milage, etc???
rolleye.gif

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
It seems different publications have different stats...I think either automobile mag or motor trend had said that the G35 cornered better than the 330. And I'm pretty sure the G35C (not sedan) beats out the 330 in straight-line acceleration with the extra 20 horses and 6-speed gearbox.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
If you factor price into the equation, the G35 is hard to beat. I haven't driven the G35C yet but the sedan was pretty snappy, so +20 horses and a 6-speed must mean the the coupe is pretty damn fast.

A friend of mine went through the same decisions a month ago, and he looked at everything you listed, plus the Volvo S60, used BMW 5-Series, Jaguar X-Type, Mercedes C-Class etc.

He narrowed it down to the G35 Sedan and the A4. He ended up with the G35.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm going to go with the A4, only because I've driven my friends 3 series, which is a fine automobile, but it could be better. I'd take the A4 just to have something to compare against his car.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
My dad has an Acura TL - it's definitely much larger than the rest of those cars. I don't think it really belongs on that list.

BTW, it's a gorgeous car and it's such a comfortable ride...<drool>

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Speaking of sport sedans....a 40 grand WRX will outrun any similarly priced bmw, audi, etc. In stock form bmw and audis will be cooking their brakes in any competitive event or prolonged aggresive driving.

Now a 24 grand WRX with a 10 grand brake package gives me an erection.

....and in Russia, and erection gives you a WRX...wait...thats not right....

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: zippy
My dad has an Acura TL - it's definitely much larger than the rest of those cars. I don't think it really belongs on that list.
Why not? It may be FWD, but it's definitely lined up to compete with those other cars regardless of its size. I basically took the Edmunds roundup of sport sedans and added the IS300.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I still don't get it. What the hell does everyone love about BMWs? I guess I need to start test driving them, because people sure can't love them for their looks.

Out of those, I'd pick the G35.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I still don't get it. What the hell does everyone love about BMWs? I guess I need to start test driving them, because people sure can't love them for their looks.

Yes. Drive one and you'll understand.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

Ther other thing I don't get is how they're everywhere. You can barely turn your head without seeing somebody driving a 3-something. How prestigious a car can it seems like any doofus can afford one?

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: freebee
Speaking of sport sedans....a 40 grand WRX will outrun any similarly priced bmw, audi, etc. In stock form bmw and audis will be cooking their brakes in any competitive event or prolonged aggresive driving.

Yes, but anyone looking at buying a BMW or Audi is looking for class and luxury on top of speed, which are two things the WRX will never have.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

Ther other thing I don't get is how they're everywhere. You can barely turn your head without seeing somebody driving a 3-something. How prestigious a car can it seems like any doofus can afford one?

Or, you could say, that a majority of those who can afford one, buy BMW because they are that good. I mean, to me, it's not as much about looks as it is about how wide your smile is after taking the long way home.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
i tihnk the 3series feels alot more sporty than the g35

the 3series steering wheel has got to be one of the best steering wheels around

3series = the r0x0r

too bad everybody has one

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Or, you could say, that a majority of those who can afford one, buy BMW because they are that good. I mean, to me, it's not as much about looks as it is about how wide your smile is after taking the long way home.

If I want a big grin on my face, it doesn't happen from driving a car. If I were going to spend $30K on a toy, it'd be a badass chopper. But that's just me. :D

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
The IS300 doesn't strike me as a luxury car...more like a plain compact/mid-size they stuck a bigger engine in and a Lexus badge on...

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
3 series BMWs are more common in Austin than Tahoes.

Originally posted by: b0mbrman
The IS300 doesn't strike me as a luxury car...more like a plain compact/mid-size they stuck a bigger engine in and a Lexus badge on...
It's RWD...