Which Entry Luxo-Sport Sedan/Coupe would YOU take?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
3 series BMWs are more common in Austin than Tahoes.

Originally posted by: b0mbrman
The IS300 doesn't strike me as a luxury car...more like a plain compact/mid-size they stuck a bigger engine in and a Lexus badge on...
It's RWD...
Yup...and 215 horses...and great balance due to a shoved-back engine...I didn't say it lacked any of those things...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
When I was looking for a new car of my own, I test drove a lot of cars mentioned in this topic. You'll notice that all of the cars that I drove were all AWD models, because I need to be able to drive it in winter. Here's my thoughts on them:

The BMW 325xi: The BMW was nice, but it seemed a bit overrated to me. When I test drove one, I thought that the plastic interior looked outdated and cheap. The ride was also harsh, and the interior was noisy. It also seemed to be overpriced, once I added up all of the options that were standard on the other high-end cars on my list. All of the BMW dealers that I talked do seemed snobbish and didn't want to bargain with me, probably because they are selling these cars by the dozen where I live.

The Subaru WRX: This cute little car doesn't deserve to be compared to the other cars on this list. Considering that it's $10K dollars cheaper, it just isn't fair! Sure, the car is fast and nimble, but it doesn't have ANY of the nice add-ons that these other cars have. The car has NO power seats, NO available sunroof, NO available leather package, and is also missing a few dozen other options that were standard on all of the other cars. It seems that the WRX was more designed to compete with cars like the Ford Focus and Pontiac Sunfire than against $30K+ luxury cars.

The Jaguar X-Type (2.5 and 3.0): This car has a really smooth ride, and a plush interior. It handles more like a family sedan than a sports car, however, and the car gets REALLY expensive once you add all of the options. The car with the features that I wanted had an MSRP of over $43,000, although the dealer was willing to give me a big discount on that to make the sale.

The Audi A4 3.0 Quattro: Out of all the cars that I drove, this one had the best handling. The Tiptronic is fun to use, too! This car also has tons of power, and had all of the options that I was looking for without an insanely high price tag. My only complaint with the car is that the seats are a bit stiff.

I ended by buying the Audi, and I'm pretty happy with it.