patio
community pool
community fitness center
right next to biking/hiking trail

Which would you pick and why?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
They are almost identical. I'd pick a 1 bedroom, 800 sq foot first floor apartment.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Of those two, I take the apartment for the fitness center, trail, pool, and gated entrance. Hardwood is overrated IMO. And Townhouse "yards" from what I've seen aren't worth shit. Only real advantage to the townhouse IMO is the direct access garage, and how much of an advantage that is depends on where you live.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: irishScott
Of those two, I take the apartment for the fitness center, trail, pool, and gated entrance. Hardwood is overrated IMO. And Townhouse "yards" from what I've seen aren't worth shit. Only real advantage to the townhouse IMO is the direct access garage, and how much of an advantage that is depends on where you live.
Arrrgg... I can't stop thinking about this. The apartment is nice for all of its amenities. I can't say if I'll be using them all that much but I am certainly taking advantage of the biking trail. The apartment's living area feels bigger compared to the townhouse's (not sure if it really is). But the townhouse has a attached 2 car garage. A big plus if I ever need to work on car. Also, its a lot more convenient because the garage is directly attached, e.g., when buying groceries. Arrrggg!

EDIT: I should add that if I choose the townhouse, I could always move to the apartment when the lease is up, albeit, at a higher rent price.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'd seriously look at the townhouse - direct access 2car garage FTW. Then again, as you don't get buried in snow through the winter, it might not be as big of a deal for you. :p

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: CadetLee
I'd seriously look at the townhouse - direct access 2car garage FTW. Then again, as you don't get buried in snow through the winter, it might not be as big of a deal for you. :p

Snow isn't a big problem in Orange County, CA.

I would go with the townhome as well. Apartments suck.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
it seems that you get more amenities for a total lower price per month by going with an apartment.

besides that, it would really be up to you which of the two gives you a much 'nicer' floor plan, ie, what you perceive to be more spacious.............or appealing, eg, 1) color of paint 2) half-wall versus open stair case, etc, etc, which are all aesthetic and, again, depends on you.

ucdbiendog

Platinum Member
Sep 22, 2001
one variable you didnt mention is neighborhood location. all that being equal, id go with the apartment for the pool/fitness center

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
it seems that you get more amenities for a total lower price per month by going with an apartment.

besides that, it would really be up to you which of the two gives you a much 'nicer' floor plan, ie, what you perceive to be more spacious.............or appealing, eg, 1) color of paint 2) half-wall versus open stair case, etc, etc, which are all aesthetic and, again, depends on you.
Here is the floor plan for the apartment. I don't have one for the townhouse. link

Both have their pluses and minuses.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ucdbiendog
one variable you didnt mention is neighborhood location. all that being equal, id go with the apartment for the pool/fitness center
They are about a city block from each other.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
It's all personal liking it sounds like. Keep in mind with apartments you have a lot of neighbors and noise is always a concern.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
townhouse, much more preferred if you ask me, especially if its two + levels!

I assume you are renting both? ... that is a lot of money to just be throwing away into renting, IMO.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You're in SoCal so the attached garage isn't *as important*. If I were in any place that had bad weather (heavy rain, snow, ice, ect) the attached garage would be very important to me.

Even still, pretty much everything about the townhome sounds better to me. The pool and fitness center would be nice, but the other stuff (extra .5 bath, two stories, garage, floors, ect) just sounds nicer.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
My sister and her boyfriend lived in an apartment with a crazy pool and fitness center and all ... in the 1 year they were there they never used it.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
2 car garage (with direct access)

That would be one of the MOST important decision for me in making a choice. This comes second 2.5 ba.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
To be 100% absolutely certain, total square footage and room sizes would need to be known. Also commute times, etc would need to be taken into account.

That said ... based upon the limited information above
I'd say the Townhouse

Bigger garage
direct access to garage
extra half bathroom ... perhaps it has more living space?
yard
no shared floor/ceilings

That said ... I currently live in a townhouse and I'm looking to get into a detached home. That way I can have a real yard and also listen to movies/music a bit louder and have a MUCH nicer theater setup in a basement rather than in my living room.

I've lived in apartments a bit in the past, and I absolutely hated it.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
After revisiting both places, the townhouse takes the cake. I physically measure the living/dining room and bedrooms and they were about the same size as the apartment. But as fate would have it, someone is already in line in front of me. Gahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! I will know by tomorrow night if they will be leasing it or not.

:(

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Townhouse, but that's cash flowing down the toilet.

Where are you living?

I'd not pick either one.

Rogo

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
Townhouse, but that's cash flowing down the toilet.

Where are you living?

I'd not pick either one.

Rogo
Believe me, if I could buy, I would, but the (Southern) California real estate market is ridiculously overpriced right now.